A Couple of scottish cup questions

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
StAndrewsHMFC

A Couple of scottish cup questions

Post by StAndrewsHMFC » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:27 pm

With Hearts deciding to concentrate on the league, I've decided to focus on past scottish cups. Couple of questions-

1)For how long where the early rounds regional in the 19th century

2)When did the start playing semi's at neutral venues

3)When did they start/stop playing 2nd replays at neutral venues

4)When did the qualifying cup start and what level of teams were exempt from competing.

If siomeone knows I'm much obliged

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:21 pm

1. 1876-1877 was the first season when the draw was regionalised. This continued until the establishment of the Qualifying Cup in 1895-96.

2. 1911-1912

3. I can find a second replay in November 1887 between Hearts and St Mirren at East Stirlingshire's then ground of Merchiston Park (and a third replay at Cathkin). Though I'd hesitate to say with certainty that was the first such neutral venue. There was never a decision to stop playing at neutral venues but sometimes common sense prevailed. In 1987-88 Arbroath and Stenhousemuir played a second replay at Muirton but later the same season the second replay between Dundee and Dundee United reverted to Dens Park where the first game had been played.

The only other non-semi-final game to go to a second replay before these were abolished in 1989 was between Dundee United and Aberdeen in 1988-89 when the tie was resolved at Tannadice.

4. 1895-96 -though the top sides were exempt until the last 32 from 1891-92 onwards. In that season the exempt teams were the 12 SFL clubs, Queen's Park, Kilmarnock, Northern & Our Boys of Dundee though the latter declined to accept the exemption. That was the pattern that continued until all the league clubs eventually became exempt.