Worlds oldest fitba trophies still played for?

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Burnie_man

Worlds oldest fitba trophies still played for?

Post by Burnie_man » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:29 pm

I think I'm right in saying that the Scottish Cup is the oldest football trophy in the world that is still competed for?

What are the others?

The Scottish Junior Cup must be up there, although the original trophy was replaced by the current one in 1897 I believe. The East of Scotland Junior Cup is still competed for and the trophy was first won back in 1892 when it was awarded to the winners of the Edinburgh Junior League.

The Ayrshire Junior Cup dates to 1889 I believe?

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:24 am

East of Scotland Shield is still around. 1883 I think.
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:11 pm

The Ayrshire Cup -one of the most magnificent trophies in football- was first competed for in 1877-78 and had its last outing in 1998. Because of the merger of the old county associations of Ayrshire, Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire into a West of Scotland FA it was said the trophy could no longer be contested. However that doesn't appear to have stopped the Renfrewshire Cup from carrying on

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:48 am

So technically, the competition is known as the Renfrewshire Cup and not as the original Renfrewshire FA Challenge Cup.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:07 pm

Is it still the same trophy? Most of these county cups - and the Scottish Cup itself - were known by their shortened names. At least the Renfrewshire clubs have kept the sense of county rivalry alive. The Ayrshire Cup now resides permanently at Rugby Park. There was a short-lived successor tournament but it never really caught on with the fans. And no wonder. Who in their right minds would ever chant

"When the Killie go up
To lift the West Sound Radio Challenge Trophy"

Gordon Baird

Post by Gordon Baird » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:06 am

The Fife Cup was first played for in 1882/83. Believe it's still the same trophy, made by J. Cameron & Son of Kilmarnock.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:21 am

John Cameron & Son were also responsible for the Ayrshire Cup.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:29 pm

Isn`t the Scottish FA`s cup not the third or fourth cup? The original still exists but the cup lifted by the winning club`s captain these days is a replica. The late Arthur Negus (expert on TV`s "Going for a Song" which predates "The Antiques Road Show") said that the Scottish Cup was in silverware terms a cup whereas the English Cup was actually a trophy. The great Bud Neil thought the Scottish Cup looked like it was stuffing its ears against the profanities bandied over it!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:53 pm

I believe the original is still given to the winning team. But after all the pix are taken it's then wheeched right back to the Hampden Museum. I'm not quite sure when the winning club was prevented from keeping the trophy for a year but certainly as recently as 1997-98 it was in the safekeeping of the holders for twelve months. As this photo of a rather handsome young man, taken days before it was returned to Hampden, shows!

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:58 pm

The SJFA have recently taken the step of having an exact replica of the Junior Cup made as the original is beginning to show it's age.

The original is currently in the Hampden Museum as part of the current trophy exhibition, the replica is I think in Linlithgow Rose Social Club.

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:59 pm

Sat31March1928 wrote:East of Scotland Shield is still around. 1883 I think.
Do Hearts and Hibs still play for that?

StAndrewsHMFC

Post by StAndrewsHMFC » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:21 pm

Burnie_man wrote: Do Hearts and Hibs still play for that?
Off and on. Its just a reserve fixture these days, although for some reason a match report from it actually made bbc football 2or 3 years back- random. Hibs won in

Anyway its lasted better than the festival cup....

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:42 pm

Do Hibs still play for the Scottish Cup? I`ve checked through Cup winners` lists and don`t see there name there for quite some time. I believe Hearts have a sporadic interest but can anyone confirm whether they played in the competition between the World Wars & ten years thereafter? I CAN confirm that Queen`s Park haven`t seriously entered the competition for a number of years now since the puffed up players for lucre have entered the field. I understand that the Kilmarnock Association Club often give the tourney a whirl. Is this true?

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:34 pm

StAndrewsHMFC wrote:
Burnie_man wrote: Do Hearts and Hibs still play for that?
Off and on. Its just a reserve fixture these days, although for some reason a match report from it actually made bbc football 2or 3 years back- random. Hibs won in

Anyway its lasted better than the festival cup....
It now is mainly U21 teams that are put out. My first derbies were EoSS games with crowds of around 10,000 watching the games. The lack of a regular place in the calendar and the extra derbies introduced bt the PL formation meant it diminished importance.

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:41 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:Do Hibs still play for the Scottish Cup? I`ve checked through Cup winners` lists and don`t see there name there for quite some time. I believe Hearts have a sporadic interest but can anyone confirm whether they played in the competition between the World Wars & ten years thereafter? I CAN confirm that Queen`s Park haven`t seriously entered the competition for a number of years now since the puffed up players for lucre have entered the field. I understand that the Kilmarnock Association Club often give the tourney a whirl. Is this true?
Hibs do still play in it. In fact they've played some 340 games since that heady day in April 1902.

Hearts very strangely lost 2 semi finals to the Old Firm in the 1930s where the referee's judgement was questioned in some quarters. (Surely some mistake.)

I can confirm that Dundee will be awaiting a telegraph from the monarch sometime soon.