Recommendation for newspaper sources in 1960s?

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Cinneide

Recommendation for newspaper sources in 1960s?

Post by Cinneide » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:58 am

I'm about to start some research on the 1962-63 season. This is a time period that I'm not used to - usually I'm looking at papers in the late 19th/early 20th century.

I'm looking for recommendations for Scottish newspapers for 1st Division information available at the Mitchell.

I'll be looking for purely historical/match report information initially. Which paper(s) give the most comprehensive reports? Herald? Record? Sundays? Something else?

I'll also be looking for anecdotes/quotes/feature-y articles - stuff you wouldn't get in a match report but add depth to the factual stuff. Herald? Record? Sundays? Evenings? Something else?

Cheers

Edited to add: for Partick Thistle info
[url=http://www.PTEarlyYears.net/]Partick Thistle - The Early Years - A Club History Online[/url]

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:59 am

Remember, this season was badly affected by the weather. There were, for example, 44 days between the first Scottish Cup match between Kilmarnock and QOS and the replay. Killie also went nine weeks without a league game and they got off lightly compared to some.

So daily newspapers assume much more importance for this season, particularly in March and April when the backlog of fixtures was cleared up with many midweek games. Rangers played sixteen league and cup games in April and May.

Conversely the Sundays for this season should be better for general stuff as there were hardly any matches played in January and February but they still had to fill their pages.

For match reports I'd say the Record and Evening Times are best. Worth pointing out the Evening Citizen was still on the go at this point.

Hampden Diehard

The Mitchell

Post by Hampden Diehard » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:10 pm

....but if you're looking through newspapers in the Mitchell, you'll be disppointed that some erse has gone through many of them and cut out match reports. I hope he stabbed himself with his own scissors and it turned septic.

Cinneide

Post by Cinneide » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:12 am

evening Times and the Daily Record are good for day-to-day news on the Scottish 1st Division, with the record better for midweek match reports. The Evening Times 'Pink' on Saturday evenings is excellent for match reports and features. Glasgow Herald is pretty poor for any sports news.

By the early 60s the papers had become obsessed with glamour matches, with the result that domestic games suffered badly when there were European or big friendly matches to report on.

Sunday Post and Mail are also good for reports and features.

Interestingly when the winter bit in February, rather than fill the papers with extra football features, there was other filler such as cartoons and TV news.

Evening Citizen didn't appear interested in sport at all.

Has anyone looked at the Sunday People in the early 60s? I spotted a reference to the paper in a QoS programme mentioning an article by a Scottish referee. QoS fans are the fairest in the country apparently.

Is the People worth looking at?

The scissor fiend isn't a problem in 1962-63 - from memory more of a problem in the 40s and 50s.
[url=http://www.PTEarlyYears.net/]Partick Thistle - The Early Years - A Club History Online[/url]