Eddie Pryce

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
the greench

Eddie Pryce

Post by the greench » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:34 am

Keeper who played for Hibs on a pre season English tour and I was sure played in an early round League Cup Tie at the start of the seventies. He's not shown in John Litsters records as having played competitively. Any help anyone?

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:46 pm

Eddie Pryce signed for Hibs in the summer of 1971 from Kirkintilloch Rob Roy, but as far as I can tell he never made it to the first team. He was a regular in the East of Scotland League side, but at this time Hibs were well served for goalkeepers with Jim Herriot and then Jim McArthur.

As for a pre-season tour, Hibs played at Middlesbrough and York in August 1971, but Herriot was in goals (according to the programmes), and it was several years before they ventured south of the border again for a friendly.

I haven't found when he left the club, or what happened to him afterwards, but will dig around.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:53 pm

A bit more info:

He was listed as the goalkeeper in the Hibs programme for the home friendly v Schalke on 2 August 1971, so perhaps that was his first team appearance you were thinking of.

Looking through that season's programmes, while he started as a regular in the East of Scotland team, he doesn't seem to feature in any of the teams from about October onwards, and I can find no further mention of him. He wasn't in the team photo for the start of 72/73, so it would appear he was no longer with the club by then.

Before coming to Hibs, in the spring of 1971 he won three junior international caps while at Rob Roy, v Republic of Ireland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

the greench

Post by the greench » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:05 pm

Thanks for the info. I was convinced he'd played on tour and then started the season because of a South African FA hold up with Jim Herriott's registration. Mind obviously playing tricks again

Regards

StattoStaggie

Edie Pryce in the Scottish Cup

Post by StattoStaggie » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:02 pm

Eddie did hit the big time when he signed for the mighty Ross County! Made his debut in a 4-0 win over forres mechanics and then turned out for County in their 1-0 Scottish Cup defeat from East Stirling in December 1972

Hope this helps

Statto

kiwiscot

Eddie Pryce

Post by kiwiscot » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:51 pm

Eddie was freed from Hibs around December 1971and joined St Mirren and played in their Combined Reserve league side for the duration of that season. he worked in Yarrows shipyard along side me , he was a plater by trade. After a junior cup final for Rob Roy (possibly West of Scotland ) Tommy Younger signed him for Hibs and he went full time, he came back to Yarrows for a short time whilst at St Mirren but went chasing money at a highland oil rigg yard and signed for Ross County. One of the last times I remember speaking to him I was on a bus to Hardgate to play in an under 21 juvenile Dumbartonshire league match and he boarded the bus at Bearsden with a couple of young St Mirren reserves players on there way to Duntocher to play against Drumchapel Amateurs in the Combined Reserve League.

kiwiscot

Eddie Pryce

Post by kiwiscot » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:02 pm

The St Mirren V Rangers Scottish cup tie match programme on26/2/72 lists Eddie as having made 4 reserve appearences up to then

Rob R

Re: Eddie Pryce

Post by Rob R » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:25 am

Just reading Evening Times fom the 20/7/1972 and Eddie had signed for East Kilbride Thistle, must have been there a short time before joining Ross County.