QOS @ AIRDRIE part lll

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
LEATHERSTOCKING

QOS @ AIRDRIE part lll

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:27 pm

Queen`s sold their birthright for a mess of potage. New Broomfield less than half full and any additional profit wrung from their supporters surely mostly chewed up in additional cost for the ground hire etc. plus getting gubbed. Perhaps they might have had a better result with about 3,500 cheering them on on their own midden, who knows? I`m still at a bit of a loss to understand why one of our 1st Division clubs does not have a ground which, with a little adaptation, can host a European game when there are dozens of "small" clubs throughout the continent which have. Do all the EUFA Cup preliminary round clubs from Cyprus to the Faroes have to seek an alternative?

Another sad indictment of our domestic game is that a club fishing in the lower reaches of the Danish league is technically far superior to our Cup Finalists.

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:05 pm

It's all a bit tiresome really since everyone seems to think they know better from their pc's about whether the tie could have been hosted at Palmerston than the people who worked on the issue.

It couldn't have been. End of. I don't see the point in raking over the reasons yet again.

It was never about "profit" and personally I think the crowd was fairly respectable given a midweek night in Airdrie.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:04 pm

Skyline Drifter wrote:It's all a bit tiresome really since everyone seems to think they know better from their pc's about whether the tie could have been hosted at Palmerston than the people who worked on the issue.
There's two things wrong with that statement. Firstly, it suggests that without direct personal involvement criticism of any kind is invalid. Taken to its logical conclusion no one would comment on anything they were not personally involved in. Basically, it's the old Alex McLeish line when in trouble - "did you ever play professionally?"

Secondly, those who "worked" on the issue have been less than forthcoming on what exactly were the problems that stopped them from playing the game at Palmerston. Other, that is, than capacity. Here are some grounds not a million miles from Palmerston that have staged European football in the past twelve months - all of them with fewer seats than Palmerston.

Solitude, Belfast, 1,860 seats
Latham Park, Newtown 1,250 seats
United Park, Drogheda 400 seats
Stebonheath Park, Llanelli 700 seats
Richmond Park, Carmarthen 1,000 seats
Belle Vue, Rhyl 1,720 seats
Richmond Park, Dublin 3,000 seats

Does anyone seriously suggest these grounds are superior to Palmerston? It is not me or other critics of the move who are doing down QoS it is the club themselves by suggesting that it was beyond their capabilities to bring Palmerston up to the same level as a League of Wales side inside four months. And THAT is why I made my comments about the SPL that you took such objection to. Because if a ground can't be brought up to LOW, IFL or LOI standards inside four months then there is absolutely no chance of it being SPL-compliant by the end of next March!

Given the complaints this morning on various sites by Queens fans angry about not getting into the ground until after kick-off and at the choice of venue it seems that the supporters don't quite have the unanimous approach you suggested earlier

There isn't even the justification that the move allowed a bumper crowd saw the match. The attendance was barely 1,000 more than could have watched at Palmerston. Nor can the weather be an excuse as tickets were purchased in advance.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:12 pm

My, my, you`re a bit touchy aren`t you? A wee raw nerve, eh? Tiresome? OK you obviously know best but it could be that your intimate involvement binds you a little too close to the trees to see the wood? BTW, there`s no apostrophe in pcs; it`s a plural not a possessive.

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:43 am

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:My, my, you`re a bit touchy aren`t you? A wee raw nerve, eh? Tiresome? OK you obviously know best but it could be that your intimate involvement binds you a little too close to the trees to see the wood? BTW, there`s no apostrophe in pcs; it`s a plural not a possessive.
I'm sure you read the other threads since you titled this one part three.

If you don't already think it's tiresome that's up to you. I do.

And I've never quite understood the issue some people seem to make over irrelevant spelling or grammatical issues.

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:06 am

scottish wrote:Given the complaints this morning on various sites by Queens fans angry about not getting into the ground until after kick-off and at the choice of venue it seems that the supporters don't quite have the unanimous approach you suggested earlier

There isn't even the justification that the move allowed a bumper crowd saw the match. The attendance was barely 1,000 more than could have watched at Palmerston. Nor can the weather be an excuse as tickets were purchased in advance.
I never said there was unanimous agreement with the choice of venue David. Indeed I expressly said if you go read it that there had been some complaint about the choice of venue over say Rugby Park which some seemed to think would be a better choice (although most pre-match complaints were conceptual over the use of the "club-killers" ground rather than practical). Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't. If you want to criticise the actual venue used go right ahead. It's fair game. On balance I think Airdrie was a better choice but I'm happy to accept arguments to the contrary. A combination of the weather and a traffic accident on the M74 certainly didn't help people getting to Airdrie on time but those things are outwith anybody's control. Hamilton would have been a more convenient choice but wasn't available to us. Carlisle would be better again but we were instructed it wasn't allowed.

What I actually said was that there had been pretty much universal acceptance of the need to move it. Which there was and by and large remains so I think. I haven't noticed any great suggestion that game didn't need moved at all. Just complaints, some of them valid, about the choice of Airdrie.

It was never entirely about the crowd though as pointed out to you before we would not have been allowed to use all of Palmerston's seating for the match. It was probably at least 1,500 more than we'd have been able to use (if the stadium had been otherwise compliant). I never mentioned the weather though since you do several hundred tickets were sold on the day of the game. I have no idea how many more would have been sold if the weather had been better, particularly to interested neutrals in the central belt. I don't think it's a reach to say the crowd was affected to at least some extent by the weather. Probably not by more than a hundred or so though.

I find the notion that unless the club make a specific press announcement about all the things that prevented them hosting the match at Palmerston then they simply don't exist quite bizarre.

There IS absolutely no chance of the ground being SPL compliant by the end of March. Whoever said there was? Not us.

Lisbon67

Post by Lisbon67 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:02 pm

Give it a rest. Embarrassing enough seeing the results so far this season. Worse when clubs can't even play games on their own midden. Do you think UEFA don't pay attention to this kind of thing? Imagine Scotland putting in a bid for the Euros when we have teams that can't even play ties on their own patch because they don't have 4,000 seats?