R McPherson Arthurlie

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Insertnamehere

R McPherson Arthurlie

Post by Insertnamehere » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:37 am

There was an R McPherson who played for Arthurlie and scored against England in 1882, can anyone confirm that his name was Robert which I believe it was and also has anyone got any other information on him?

Thanks as always
Robert

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:44 pm

According to Douglas Lamming`s SCOTTISH SOCCER INTERNATIONALISTS` WHO`S WHO, he played for Scotch Counties and I can verify he scored in that seasoan`s (1882) international trial for the English Xl vs. the Welsh Xl (ie. the team to play England vs. the team to play Wales) in a 6-2 win @ Kinning Park on 4th March. I suspect you`re right re his forename when almost everyone was John or James, or William or Robert.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:55 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote: I suspect you`re right re his forename when almost everyone was John or James, or William or Robert.
That's not right. There were loads of Jocks, Jimmys, Billys and Bobs as well.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:14 pm

Yes, he was a Robert. I came across his first name when doing research for the SFA international archive (although I'm afraid I can't remember the source).

For available info, have a look at:
http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/archive.cfm?curpageid=153

Unfortunately the archive seems to have fallen a bit by the wayside since I left the SFA - the last two matches haven't been updated, and the previous matches don't have things like yellow cards or match reports.

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:04 pm

ScottishFA wrote:
Unfortunately the archive seems to have fallen a bit by the wayside since I left the SFA - the last two matches haven't been updated, and the previous matches don't have things like yellow cards or match reports.

Ours are still up to date :D

http://www.londonhearts.com/scotland/se ... eason.html

http://www.londonhearts.com/scotland/scotland.htm
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:07 pm

Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:53 pm

Sorry to be awkward but I should point out that The Herald gives him as J McPherson. No goal for him in their match report either - Harrower (2), Kerr (2) and Kaye being the scorers according to them with the third goal - given to McPherson in The Scotsman - being awarded to Harrower.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:55 pm

ScottishFA wrote:Unfortunately the archive seems to have fallen a bit by the wayside since I left the SFA - the last two matches haven't been updated, and the previous matches don't have things like yellow cards or match reports.
That and a few other things as well - like responding to requests for information. Proximity to the SPL must be rubbing off.