Juliussen scores six - two games in a row

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Post Reply
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:54 am

Juliussen scores six - two games in a row

Post by bonxie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:38 pm

Following up on my interest in Alex Haddow, who scored 5 consecitive hat-tricks, I came across an Albert Juliussen, scoring a double hat-trick for Dundee in 2 consecutive games in the 1946-47 season. A google search also revealed he is in a select band to have played for both Dundee clubs. Can anyone tell me about his career, especially after his amazing feat?

Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:13 pm

Post by cowdenbeather » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:12 pm

Here's a profile I wrote in a recnet Cowdenbeath v Dundee programme

Albert ‘Julie’ Juliussen was born in Blyth in Northumberland in 1920 and was the son of Norwegian parents. He played for Cramlington Black Watch before joining Huddersfield as an apprentice just before the War. During the War, Julie served in the Black Watch as a PT Instructor and was posted to Dundee and then to Perth. He was soon spotted by the local clubs and in one incredible army game he scored six goals in the first half for his side to lead 6-0 at half time. 45 minutes later it was 6-5 and Juliussen had scored all eleven having been ordered to switch sides at half time.

He ended up guesting for Dundee United for four wartime seasons. He was to become a local goal scoring legend and thrilled everyone with his howitzer shooting and willingness to shoot on sight. He scored a record six goals in a match for United in a North Eastern League fixture v St Bernards. 83 goals in 70 matches was to be his Tannadice haul. When the War ended he returned to Huddersfield Town.

Julie wasn’t back at Leeds Road for long as Dundee had seen at first hand his prowess at Tannadice. A £2,000 fee brought Julie to Dens Park for season 1945/46 despite Aberdeen also trying to secure his signature. He was equally as prolific with the Dark Blues. Cowdenbeath being one of the clubs that suffered at his hands with a ten minute hat-trick. The first time he got the ball on his debut v East Fife he flashed the ball into the net. 89 goals in two and a half seasons was to be his goal haul – again he scored more than a goal a game. In one match v Alloa he knocked out ex-Cowden goalkeeper Frank Harper 3 times with shots which all ended up in the back of the net. His most famous feat came when he scored 6 goals in a 10-0 win over Alloa at the Recs only to follow this up with 7 in a 10-0 home win over Dunfermline just a week later. The Dunfermline goalkeeper at one point saw Juliussen bearing down on him and stepped out his way saying ‘You can have it’.

Inevitably English eyes looked north and Portsmouth then one of the top side sin England paid £11,000 for his transfer. Fratton Park though was not to see the same fireworks from Julie as had been on show in Dundee. He played in only a handful of games and was decidedly not a success. He quickly moved on to Everton with the papers reporting that Juliussen’s Pompey problems were that ‘the rather relaxing Southern climate is believed to be the reason why he has not settled down as expected’. His equally brief Everton career led to him being dubbed by some as Everton’s worst ever signing.

However, he was suffering from injury problems and was actually advised to give up the game albeit he refused to do so. Sometime later it was recorded that ‘During his brief stay at Fratton Park, Albert's team-mates were successively amazed, amused and abashed by their new striker's maidenly reluctance to disrobe in their presence. Even in the communal bath, it seems, he insisted on keeping his football socks on! Eventually, the dreadful truth emerged: varicose veins!’

Everton wrote of their sizeable investment and released Julie who returned to his native North East as player/manager of Consett. There was life in the old dog yet though and he returned to Scotland after a fashion by joining Berwick Rangers where Bobby Ancell’s side had just been elected to the Scottish League ‘C’ Division. He was soon a firm local favourite. There was then a brief unsuccessful return to Dundee United before a final fling in ‘C’ Division with Brechin City.

Brechin were top of ‘C’ Division when Julie joined in 1954 with 3 games to play. Montrose were easily seen off but a trip to Methil offered a stern test. Julie scored the only goal of the game to give Brechin the points v East Fife ‘A’. 400 fans travelled then for the vital match v Celtic ‘A’ which attracted an 11,000 crowd. One again it was Julie who scored the only goal to secure the title and Division ‘B’ status for Brechin City. He later admitted it was a fluke when he ball struck the back of his head and went flying into the net. It was a good way to end his senior footballing days.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests