Jim Storey

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Insertnamehere

Jim Storey

Post by Insertnamehere » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:30 am

Does any one have any info on him? I believe he played for Kilsyth Rangers then Airdrie and Leeds but I cant find him on anything I have.

Im not even sure what era he played as it was someone in my local who said he was related to him.

Thanks

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Jim Storey

Post by Scottish » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:08 pm

Insertnamehere wrote: I cant find him on anything I have.
Probably because the spelling is wrong. Jim Storrie (dob 31/03/1940) played with distinction professionally from 1957-73. He was with Kilsyth Rangers but it can't have been for long. He didn't play inthe sides whch made the Junior Cup final in 1955 and 1957 and he signed for Airdrie in December 1957 while still 17.

Jim was an inside-forward, mainly inside-right. He was transferred to Leeds United in the summer of 1962 and stayed there for nearly five years during which time the Elland Road club was transformed from a struggling Second Division (Championship today) club to one of the best sides in Europe. He was a regular in 64-65 and 65-66 but less so the following season and returned north to sign for Aberdeen in March 1967. Again he wasn't a regular and less than a year later he headed back to Yorkshire to join Rotherham, managed at the time by Tommy Docherty and then in the Second Division but headed for the Third.

After two years there he travelled further south - to Portsmouth - but up a division, back to the Second He had a brief spell on loan at Aldershot before coming back up the road to join St Mirren in 1972-73 but after a few games there it was back to Hampshire and non-league football with Waterlooville

Jim played 155 first class matches for Scottish clubs, scoring an impressive 83 goals. He was top league scorer at Airdrie in both 60-61 and 61-62.

In England he played 294 such games and scored 104 goals. he was top scorer at Leeds in 1962-63 and again in 1964-65 when they missed out on the title on goal average. In 1965-66 he was joint top league scorer with Peter Lorimer. He also top scored at Rotherham.

Jim Storrie was on the fringe of international recognition without ever quite making it. Domestically he played in sides which came to close to winning trophies but just missed out. He played in the losing Cup Final sides in England and Scotland in 1965 and 1967 respectively.

Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:13 pm

Superb, many thanks once again.

StAndrewsHMFC

Post by StAndrewsHMFC » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:10 am

Kilsyth Rangers history has him signing from Kelvinside Thistle at the begining of the 1957-58 season. He's recorded as scoring 11 goals for them in the 17 matches between September 4th and January 11th, but there is no record of how many of these games he played or if he played any outside of this period, then moving to January in the new year as scottish mentioned above