nightfire

First Penalty Kick

Post by nightfire » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:55 pm

Is there a record anywhere of the first penalty awarded in Scottish Football

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: First Penalty Kick

Post by Scottish » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:19 pm

nightfire wrote:Is there a record anywhere of the first penalty awarded in Scottish Football
I have the first one scored (not necessarily the same) as Alex McCall for Renton away to Leith Athletic in the League on August 22nd 1891.

The match report in the Herald describes it as a 'free kick' but that's down to the novelty of the occasion. The report itself makes clear it was a penalty award - "one of the Leith men fouled an opponent in front of the home goal, and McColl, taking the free kick awarded, equalised amidst cheers."

Unless there was one awarded and missed prior to that, then it's the first in Scotland and in the UK as the English season started later and the first penalty converted was by John Heath of Wolves v Accrington on September 14th that year.

nightfire

Post by nightfire » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:01 pm

I have Dan Doyle missing a penalty for Celtic v Abercorn on 12/09/1891.

However, Tom Campbell states in his "Celtic The Encyclopaedia" that Celtic's 1st penalty was awarded at Cappielow against Morton and that Neil McCallum missed it.

The only Celtic v Morton fixture I have for Season 1891/92 was played on 4th August 1891. Celtic won the match 5-3 according to the Celtic Handbook of 1895 but the Scotsman has it as 5-2 to Celtic.

The Scotsman does not provide any detail of the penalty.

LLD

Post by LLD » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:56 pm

scottish wrote:
nightfire wrote:Is there a record anywhere of the first penalty awarded in Scottish Football
I have the first one scored (not necessarily the same) as Alex McCall for Renton away to Leith Athletic in the League on August 22nd 1891.

The match report in the Herald describes it as a 'free kick' but that's down to the novelty of the occasion. The report itself makes clear it was a penalty award - "one of the Leith men fouled an opponent in front of the home goal, and McColl, taking the free kick awarded, equalised amidst cheers."

Unless there was one awarded and missed prior to that, then it's the first in Scotland and in the UK as the English season started later and the first penalty converted was by John Heath of Wolves v Accrington on September 14th that year.
In the book 'He always puts it to the right' by Clark Miller, which is essentially a history of the penalty kick, the first penalty scored in England is given as Farman for Newton Heath v Blackpool in the Lancashire League on September 5th 1891.

The John Heath one is mentioned as possibly the first in the Football League although Leicester Fosse scored one against Notts County, scorer Bailey, on the same afternoon. The times of the goals and kick off times are not known.

There are newspaper reports given as sources for all of these so that seems legit.

The same book gives the first penalty scored ever as one for the Canadians v Linfield, scored by an Irish born American called J Dalton. It quotes both the Belfast Newsletter and Belfast Telegraph.

The problem is that the date given for this was August 29th 1891, a full week later than the Leith Athletic v Renton one.

I suspect we will never know for sure :)

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:17 am

I think the first penalty awarded in Scotland was in the Airdrieonians vs. Royal Albert friendly @ Mavisbank on 6th June 1891. Airdrie scored from it but I don`t have the player`s name. The referee awarded the kick by mistake because although the penalty rule had been passed three days earlier it wasn`t due to become law until season 1891-92.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:41 pm

Interesting to note the differences between the penalty kick as we know it and as now the lawmakers originally intended: a team had to APPEAL for a penalty a la 'howzat,' the offence had to be within TWELVE yards of the goal, the kick could be taken from ANY point twelve yards from goal and the keeper could advance to within SIX yards of the spot where the kick would be taken.

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:48 pm

Falkirk scored one in a 9-1 'demolition' of Clydebank on Sat 22nd August 1891 in the Scottish Federation, this one was definitely listed as a penalty. However the report I have doesn't mention the scorer.
Falkirk's next penalty was a couple of weeks later and was taken by the legendary Jock Drummond (of Falkirk & Scotland fame), so it's possible it was he [speculation, I know]

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:30 pm

One odd feature of that match happened after the game was stopped close to the end on account of heavy rain with Falkirk ahead 8-1. When the referee re-started the match Clydebank refused to leave the dressing room. Falkirk ran the ball into the empty net and the goal was awarded to make the final score 9-1.

soccerhistory

Post by soccerhistory » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:56 pm

There is a reference in the Coatbridge Express (3 July 1940) to the first penalty - the scorer was McLuggage of Royal Albert and the occasion was the Airdrie Charity Cup final against Airdrieonians at Mavisbank. The SFA had changed their rules on 2 June and the match (as L/stocking correctly says) was on Saturday 6 June. There were apparently other claimants to the title of scorer of the first penalty, and the reference was to refute the claim of a rival that had resurfaced in the press at the time.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:12 pm

Looking @ penalties scored it appears that Rangers` Johnny Hubbard scored the most in a season - 14 in 1957-58(12 league). Sammy Baird & Bobby Shearer also scored from the spot that sesason. 16 penalty goals in a season is equalled by Celtic in 1976-77 - Dalglish 7, Glavin 8 Lynch the Cup Final winner. Hubbard scored an incredible 48 penalties in 4 and a half seasons. Can anyone help out with a query regarding the `keeper who saved the most consecutively? I was given the name "Sandy McLachlin of Airdrie, Dumbarton & Stranraer some time post war." as the record holder. The only `keeper of that era playing for Airdrie & Stranraer I can find was SANDY McLAUGHLAN of Airdrieonians(1964-65 to 65-66), Clydebank(1966-7 to 67-68) & Stranraer(1967-68 to 1970-71). Is he the record holder & if so how many did he stop or is there a different record holding net-minder?

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:31 pm

Reviving this thread from five years ago, here's my own take on who scored the first penalty kick:

http://www.scottishsporthistory.com/spo ... nalty-kick

In particular, that Leith Athletic v Renton game had two penalties, the first scored by James McCall (not Alex), and the other one missed by Matt McQueen.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:49 am

How disappointing, to learn the first penalty kick in Scotland was NOT awarded, to Rangers, in a home game, tied at 0-0 with a couple of minutes to go. I would thought that was a given!!
Snuff