Two games in two days

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
bobby s

Two games in two days

Post by bobby s » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:44 pm

It appears that Hibs v Partick Thistle & Queens Park v Alloa games were played in the Scottish Cup on Sunday 6th Feb 1977 - the day after all 4 teams had played league games on the saturday.

Why?

Was it power shortage related, poor weather, or postponed games? Why not play on the Monday?

Thanks
It's the Hope I can't stand

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:43 pm

Definitely not a typo on the dates. The Times DA shows both the Saturday and Sunday results in the Monday edition. The Saturday edition only shows the Saturday league fixtures.

The under 21s were playing at Easter Road on the Wednesday.
Last edited by Sat31March1928 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:09 pm

On the face of it no real reason for this or for the cup ties played on the Monday either. The scheduled fourth round date wasn't until Feb 26th and there were no Premier midweek fixtures scheduled either.

The league programme was behind where it should have been though. Hibs had played three fewer league games than they should have and Thistle were five behind. As were Queen's Park. Alloa were seven behind.

Remember these were the days when the season had to finish by the end of April - Scottish Cup Final excepted - and League shall not speak unto Association (and vice-versa) was the first commandment of blazerdom.

Hence the scheduling on March 12th 1977 of both a full Premier Division card and the Scottish Cup quarter-finals!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:19 pm

Sat31March1928 wrote:The under 21s were playing at Easter Road on the Wednesday.
Doesn't mean it couldn't have been played on the Monday. None of the Sunday teams had midweek fixtures. Possible that the SFA wanted to stage replays midweek. St Johnstone and Dundee played on Monday Feb 7th with the replay the following night.

It was a crazy set-up. Alloa played eighteen league matches in eight weeks between March 5th-April 30th and still managed to win promotion. Something to be borne in mind next time there's a big whinge over "congestion."

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:21 pm

Found a mention of it being played on the Sunday. Hibs had a squad of 16 players!

Results Saturday

Sunday

Image[/i]

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:47 pm

Thinking back on it - and looking at the dates of games played - I recall December and the first half of January as particularly bad for many teams. It had improved a lot by the end of January - 13 of the 16 Scottish Cup ties scheduled for Jan 29th took place with Hibs, Hamilton & St Johnstone the only venues affected (though games took place at Hearts & Motherwell).

I recall the TV cameras being present at Rugby Park on January 3rd which was a sure sign that the Glaswegian softies had their game postponed (Hampden staged a game that day and the BBC crews could make it down the A77 and back but it was too cold for the OF).

But what sticks out for me (apart of course from Wembley in June) was that this was the last time both Ayrshire sides played in the top flight in the same season. Killie won one of the home games 6-1 and lost the other 1-0. I managed to see one of those matches and it coincided with my 21st birthday. Needless to say it was the 'wrong' one.

When Killie were busy humping Ayr 6-1 I was watching a quite boring game between Middlesbrough and Leicester. Yes, I know these never were the most glamorous names in English football. But with Graeme Souness in the home team and Frank Worthington leading the away side I expected better compensation for missing the thrashing going on at Rugby Park the same afternoon.

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:25 pm

Thanks David, & David that helps loads - I thought it might be a typo but once I checked Rothmans I realised it wasn't that simple.
It's the Hope I can't stand

smokiesnwine

Post by smokiesnwine » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:07 pm

As Scottish mentions it was weather related.
The Hibs programme for the Aberdeen game on the 22nd January mentions the weather playing havoc with the fixtures. The original game was due to be played on Sunday 30th with the programmes stating that Hibs asked the S.F.A for permission to play on the Sunday to avoid the Hearts - Dumbarton the previous day. However the game was postponed due to the weather.
Both teams agreed to play the following Sunday.

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:07 pm

smokiesnwine wrote:As Scottish mentions it was weather related.
The Hibs programme for the Aberdeen game on the 22nd January mentions the weather playing havoc with the fixtures. The original game was due to be played on Sunday 30th with the programmes stating that Hibs asked the S.F.A for permission to play on the Sunday to avoid the Hearts - Dumbarton the previous day. However the game was postponed due to the weather.
Both teams agreed to play the following Sunday.
That explains the Hibs tie but what about the Alloa vs QP tie?

prorege

Post by prorege » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:24 pm

It was all to do with money and Alloa's lack of floodlights.

Sunday games attracted big crowds at Alloa at that time - they had around 1776 for a Sunday replay against Inverness Caley a few weeks earlier.

The QP game attracted an attendance of 2780 - typical league games at the time had crowd of 500-800.

Alloa did not have lights at the Recs until 1978/9, so it was either Sunday or a lunchtime midweek kick off.

LLD

Post by LLD » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:15 am

Not sure of the exact circumstances but Meadowbank and Berwick played a Scottish Cup tie and replay on consecutive nights during the 1994-95 season.

The replay at Shielfield went all the way to penalties too!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:42 am

LLD wrote:Not sure of the exact circumstances but Meadowbank and Berwick played a Scottish Cup tie and replay on consecutive nights during the 1994-95 season.

The replay at Shielfield went all the way to penalties too!
Ach, eastern softies. What about Beith in 1909. Exactly 100 years ago today they completed what must surely be a record of four games in four days.

Having drawn 1-1away to Broxburn Athletic in their first round tie on January 23rd they played the replay seven days later and that too finished level, 0-0. That's when the fun started.

The second round was due to take place on February 6th so the teams were sent to Ibrox on February 3rd for the second replay. After 120 minutes it finished 1-1 so the sides returned to Ibrox 24 hours later for another 120 minutes and another 1-1 draw. 24 hours after that the fourth replay took place at Love Street where Beith won 4-2 after 90 minutes.

They returned to Paisley the next day for their second round game with St Mirren where they lost 3-0 - a creditable result given the circumstances.

So between Feb 3rd - Feb 6th Beith played four matches and a total of seven hours football.