Urban Myths?

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Insertnamehere

Urban Myths?

Post by Insertnamehere » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:40 pm

I do the odd peice in my locals teams program and thought about doing an article on the above. Basically the questions you hear about down the pub that you cant get but after a few beers the "guru" tells you the answer and you nod saying " yeah thats right"

Through time you come on sites like this and find they were completely wrong and have a chuckle.

Anyway im looking for some help if possible, so far I have the Steve "I didnt sig for Liverpool until two years after they won the UEFA Cup" Finnan, The I Never "played for" Everton never mind scored in a cup final. The latest one I heard was five world cup winning captians who at one point in time played for the same team, different times I give you, I guessed straight away it was the New York Cosmos but........... well although Carloss Alberta and Franz Bec...... played, as far as im aware two of the others, Dino Zoff and Bobby "its in your handbag" Moore didnt play for them.

Any more would be great.

Cheers
Robert

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:49 am

One that comes up fairly frequently amongst Hearts fans is that the Terrible Trio never lost a competitive game versus Hibs. It was trotted out again when Alfie Conn died last month.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/str/trio.html#comp3p

They played 16 times together vs Hibs winning 13 drawing twice and losing once on 1st Jan 1953.

Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Urban Myths?

Post by Scottish » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:34 pm

Insertnamehere wrote:. The latest one I heard was five world cup winning captians who at one point in time played for the same team, different times
This has actually happened. The players are:
Combi (Italy, 1934)
Meazza (Italy 1938)
Zoff (Italy 1982)
Deschamps (France 1998)
Cannovaro (Italy 2006)

They all at some stage of their career played for Juventus and all bar Meazza were with Juve when they won the World Cup . Inter Milan can manage four (Cannovaro, Matthaus, Passarella, Meazza) and even Napoli can claim three (Cannavaro, Maradona, Zoff)

Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:22 pm

Thats even better, the questions wrong but we have an answer............ thanks David!

kiwiscot

Urban Myths

Post by kiwiscot » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:21 am

There was one doing the rounds a while back, Which 3 former Scunthorpe Utd. players captained England? The answer was Ray Clemence, Kevin Keegan & Ian Botham, although I'm not sure if Clemence did in fact captain his country.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:46 pm

I remember the Scunthorpe one. It did the rounds at the same time as this one: "Which Middlesbrough player scored a hat-trick for England at Wembley?"

The answer was Jack Hatfield and the sport was water polo!