Glasgow First Class juvenile League

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
docbillp

Glasgow First Class juvenile League

Post by docbillp » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:01 am

First, I stumbled upon this site and am so greatful - the memories just kept coming back. Great work. Now, a question. What happened to the Glasgow first class juvenile league? I played for Vale Utd in 1964 before going to Canada. In the league then, as far as I remember were, Park Utd, ourselves, Provanside Hibs, Avonvilla, Glencairn Juvs, Tradeston Homlea - whom I'm sure won the First Class Scottish Cup in the early 60s although records show otherwise, Jester Star among others. It would be nice to know if any of these clubs still exist and which leagues they are playing in. As far as the Lord Weir cup was concerned, it was for under 17s - not 18s. I know, I played for Neilston Waverley and we had some great Lord Weir cup runs, usually being beaten by Edina Hearts - from memory. Hopefully some one will be able to advise on the demise of the Glasgow first class juv league. Cheers, Docbillp

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:09 am

Hi there and welcome to the forum. I don't know anything offhand about this league but I'm sure someone out there will. Hope you get a reply soon.

kiwiscot

Glasgow First Class Juvenile League

Post by kiwiscot » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:10 am

Germiston was another club I remember I think they came from the Garngad area of Glasgow.

docbillp

Scottish Juvenile Cup

Post by docbillp » Tue May 19, 2009 6:24 am

I had previously asked when the Glasgow First class Juvenile league ceased to function and what had happened to the clubs. I last played in the league for Vale Utd in 1964 then went to Canada. Reading through some old threads I have discoved the list of winners of the Scottish Juvenile Cup - I always thought it was the Scottish first class juvenile cup. Suffice to say that winners of same include Germiston Star in 1955, 71 and 73, Glencairn Juveniles in 1966 and Provenside Hibs in 1969. As no trace of the league they used to play in now exists, can anyone advise if these clubs are still functioning and what league /s they play in? Thanks, Bill P - ex Vale Utd.

wilson

Post by wilson » Sat May 30, 2009 7:04 pm

Bill,

I'm going from memory here, however to my recollection the Glasgow and Lanarkshire Leagues merged in the very early 1970's.

Hamilton Juveniles lost in the 1976 Final to Newburgh from the Perthshire League, so this amalgamated league was still running then, but I think this may have been the final year.

Hope this helps a little.