Stenhousemuir

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
FTD

Stenhousemuir

Post by FTD » Sun May 31, 2009 7:33 pm

Just wondering if anyone out there can give me the Stenhousemuir Squad of 1995 when they won the Challenge Cup please? :D [/b]

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun May 31, 2009 7:53 pm

Team that beat Dundee United 5-4 on penalties after a 0-0 draw over 120 minutes at McDiarmind Park on November 5th 1995 was:

McKenzie, Bannon, Haddow, Armstrong, McGeachie, Sprott, Hunter, Fisher (Steel), Mathieson, Hutchison, I Little

FTD

Stenhousemuir

Post by FTD » Sun May 31, 2009 8:24 pm

Thank you for that, Now wondering what player from the list signed for Junior Club Thornton Hibs not long after ( may have been following season)

FTD

Stenhousemuir Challenge Cup Team

Post by FTD » Sun May 31, 2009 8:35 pm

Sorry dont suppose you could give me their first names could you?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun May 31, 2009 10:41 pm

Roddy McKenzie, Eamonn Bannon, Lloyd Haddow, Graeme Armstrong, George McGeachie, Adrian Sprott, Paul Hunter, James Fisher (Thomas Steel), Miller Mathieson, Gareth Hutchison, Ian Little.

Don't know which player signed for Thornton Hibs but Bannon, McGeachie & Steel are the most likely. The first two were definitely at the veteran stage and finished playing league football a year or so later and Steel also seems to have vanished from the league scene around the same time.

Gunboat Briggs

Post by Gunboat Briggs » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:18 am

I was at this game and still shudder at the ignominy of being taunted by a busload of Stenhousemuir fans while trudging back into downtown Perth afterwards!

Eamonn Bannon left the following summer to become manager at Falkirk and after that resumed playing at Spartans, so I'm fairly sure it's not him. Tommy Steel went to Ayr (that'll be David's idea of disappearing, I suppose) and then Irvine Meadow. McGeachie apparently retired when he left Stenny but not beyond the bounds of possibilty he could have come back in the juniors.

Can't find any other potential candidates for the Thornton link...

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:40 am

Gunboat Briggs wrote: Tommy Steel went to Ayr (that'll be David's idea of disappearing, I suppose).
Well, I was a bit worried when I heard their new run out tune

Boabthe warrior

Post by Boabthe warrior » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:16 am

Out of the team which hammered Dundee United 0-0, Paul Hunter seem to be the best bet to have played for Thornton Hibs as he is a Fifer. Paul played for a few season after the cup win before going missing due to work I think. The club couldn't make contact with him for the 10 year after dinner. I do remember there was a connection with the clubs, but what it is I can not remember.