Edgar Kail at Queen's Park

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
markbfc

Edgar Kail at Queen's Park

Post by markbfc » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:30 am

Just recently I've seen a reference that the Dulwich Hamlet and England international foward Edgar Kail guested for Queen's Park at one time. Can anyone either confirm this and/or tell me when it was? Thanking you in anticipation.

Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:25 pm

There is an article on it on BBC Sport but although it states he played for Queens Park it doesnt give dates..........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/2771931.stm

More info on him in the Dulwich web site
http://www.dulwichhamletfc.co.uk/history.php

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:47 pm

Presumably the same person, Edgar Isaac Lew Kail died in Largs in 1976 aged 75. It'll cost you a tenner at scotlandspeople for a copy of the death certificate.

No record of him on John Litster's pre-war disk but it's always possible he played for QP in a charity or friendly game. I'd be surprised if he was the first Englishman to do so as the article claims.

On that BBC article: I watched Dulwich Hamlet regularly during the 1990s and I never heard the fans sing ANY songs let alone one about Edgar Kail. And while the article is right about the approach road being named Edgar Kail Way the current ground is NOT the same as the famous old ground which also held several amateur internationals.

It's still at the Champion Hill site on Dog Kennel Hill but most of the old ground is now taken up by a Sainsbury's and associated car parking with a purpose-built new ground with one stand (500 capacity) and small terraced areas capable of holding another 2,500. The modern ground record is 1,835 v Southport in the FA Cup in 1999.

There is a bar area above the stand which provides a pleasant area to watch the match in inclement weather.

I'm not sure how many amateur footballers have streets named after them but there is a Bob Hardisty Drive in Bishop Auckland named after the famous Amateur Cup-winning & Olympic player of the 1940s & 1950s.

markbfc

Post by markbfc » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:19 am

scottish wrote: it's always possible he played for QP in a charity or friendly game. I'd be surprised if he was the first Englishman to do so as the article claims.
I agree with you on both counts. I wonder who was the first Englishman to play for Queen's Park?

qpsnapper

Post by qpsnapper » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:59 am

One competitive appearance for Queen's in a Merchant's Charity Cup semi-final against Rangers at Ibrox on 07/05/1932, Queen's losing 3-1.

As for being the first Englishman, that's not correct, the legendary JB McAlpine was born in London and debuted for Queen's 12 years before Kail, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were other before him.

markbfc

Post by markbfc » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:06 pm

Superb, thank you qpsnapper.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:28 pm

Mutt McAlpine was capped twice by the Scottish League in 1928-29 season - vs. England & Ireland and would undoubtedly have won full caps if he hadn`t been born South of the border. I though he`d been born much further North than London. He also played several times for Glasgow vs. Sheffield when that was a big fixture. His appearance record for Queen`s 1st Xl was only surpassed quite recently by Ross Caven.