Kings Park's Forthbank ground

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Cinneide

Kings Park's Forthbank ground

Post by Cinneide » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:30 am

Can anyone give me the exact location of Kings Park's Forthbank ground in Stirling?

I'm guessing it would be in one of the Rejected FC books which I don't have to hand at the moment.
[url=http://www.PTEarlyYears.net/]Partick Thistle - The Early Years - A Club History Online[/url]

Townfan

Post by Townfan » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:41 am

According to Paul and Shirley Smith's Ultimate Directory of League Grounds, the location was NS80179307, if that's any help.

Cinneide

Post by Cinneide » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:42 am

Townfan wrote:According to Paul and Shirley Smith's Ultimate Directory of League Grounds, the location was NS80179307, if that's any help.
Thanks. Is that a map reference of some sort?
[url=http://www.PTEarlyYears.net/]Partick Thistle - The Early Years - A Club History Online[/url]

Townfan

Post by Townfan » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:50 am

I think it is a map reference. If I can remember back to my scout days [not yesterday!], I think the first 4 digits are the eastings and the others are northings.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:38 am

Townfan wrote: I think the first 4 digits are the eastings and the others are northings.
I thought eastings and northings were only found in Tolkien?

Paul & Shirley Smith's book also says it was: "south of the town centre, adjacent to the east side of the Caledonian Railway Engine Shed"

The map also shows Forthbank Carpet Works and a sawmill nearby while at the other end there is a street called Springfield Place running diagonally behind the main pavilion.

Google Maps doesn't show a Springfield Place but it does have a Springfield Road, near the A9 and the Stirling Royal Infirmary. It's also pretty near the railway.

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:03 pm

If anyone is a snooker enthusiast then you would have found the Spencers Club (home to Stephen Hendry) sat right on the location of Forthbank Park.
Alas the club is closed now and due for demolition as part of the regeneration of both this land and the adjacent Forthside Barracks.

Boabthe warrior

Post by Boabthe warrior » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:52 pm

Alan I think the ground was at the back of Spencers at little. For all of you not knowing Stirling It is just leaving the town on the A 905 to Fallin on the left hand side as you come over the railway bridge, at the old John Players factory.

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:04 pm

If you look up the 1899 OS map it is on it, it was about 100 yds north of Spring Kerse Place [which I believe no longers exists]

Cinneide

Post by Cinneide » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:09 pm

Thanks for the info. From this help, and some local knowledge, I've created a map to show, to the best of my knowledge, the location of Stirling football grounds.

I'd be happy for anyone to correct, or confirm, the map.