Clyde v Aberdeen Televised League Game?

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Shawfield Boy

Clyde v Aberdeen Televised League Game?

Post by Shawfield Boy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:38 pm

I read the other day in a Scottish Football Quiz Book that Clyde v Aberdeen in 1955 (venue unknown) was the first televised league game. I've never heard this quoted before, so can anyone clarify if this was the case, if it was live or just highlights, and ideally the date of the game.

Thanks

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:00 am

I've never heard this before. If it was broadcast then it would have to be BBC as STV didn't go on air till 1957 and it certainly wouldn't have been live. League matches between these clubs in 1955 were played at Shawfield on April 9th and Pittodrie on November 5th. The former is more likely as this was the match which clinched the league title for Aberdeen.

The Scottish Cup Final (first match) between Clyde and Celtic on April 23rd 1955 was the first full live televised game in Scotland though the second half of the international between Scotland and Northern Ireland had been shown live in November 1954.

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:06 am

Like you I had never heard this before. Next time I'm in the Mitchell I'll have a look at the television pages to see if anything is shown in there.

It also begs the question what is generally recognised as the first televised Scottish league match?

Also, do you know if the Cup final replay was televised live in its entirety, or was it only highlights?

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:43 am

It was a League Cup tie @ Shawfield which the Dons won 2-1 on 3rd September 1955. The BBC showed the 1st half live as an experiment. Queen`s Park was, as far as I can discover, the first Scottish club to appear in a live televised football match when the BBC screened their friendly @ Walthamstow Avenue in February 1950.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:29 pm

Shawfield Boy wrote: Also, do you know if the Cup final replay was televised live in its entirety, or was it only highlights?
It wasn't televised live. I don't know about highlights.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:32 pm

Nothing, not even highlights. Remember this was an age when the SFA & Scottish League were averse to TV in any shape or form. I can`t remember when the Cup Final was televised live after 1955`s 1st game. Certainly the 1961 replay was live at some odd kick off time on a Wednesday evening in late April - no Hampden floodlights - and finishing in semi darkness or was that just our old TV set? The 1958 Scotland vs. England match was live(worst luck) & then every Hampden one thereafter. Luckily the Wembley ones weren`t shown up here. In 1961, I listened on steam radio(The Home Service I think) with ever growing horror.

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:29 pm

I've always found the descriptions of the changing attitudes towards TV (and radio) broadcasting one of most interesting aspects of B Crampsie's SFL 100.

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:58 pm

(I think just the 2nd half of) Hearts vs Standard Liege was shown in 1958. Would this be the first European tie shown live?

Hearts vs Aberdeen in 1986 was the first league game shown live.
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

MadMac

Post by MadMac » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:08 am

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:I can`t remember when the Cup Final was televised live after 1955`s 1st game.
1971 or 1972.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:44 am

MadMac wrote:
LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:I can`t remember when the Cup Final was televised live after 1955`s 1st game.
1971 or 1972.
I thought it was 1977?

exile

Post by exile » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:24 am

Yes, it was 1977. Before that while the English settled down in front of the TV to watch their Cup Final we got swimming from Coatbridge Baths or something.

England v Scotland - 1961 may not have been televised but 1963 was (I've seen it on video - Arthur Montford was the commentator) but don't know if it was live.

World Cup ties - not sure of the 1st qualifier to be televised live. Possibly Scotland - Switzerland 1957? Or Czechoslovakia 1961? Both had low attendances (60,000) so that may have been the cause.

Italy 1965 (1-0, John Greig) wasn't live - highlights only (Peter Thomson the commentator). What about Germany 1969 (1-1, Murdoch and Mueller the scorers)? Youtube has a video of it - with commentary in German!

We only had TV intermittently in the late 60s and early 70s due to lack of dosh and Dad wasn't a football fan anyway so the 1st live match I saw was Brazil v England in the 1970 World Cup. The 1st one involving Scotland - unfortunately, the 5-1 at Wembley in 1975! Though I did see the 1973 match (1-0 to England, with Shilton saving from Dalglish) at a friend's house. We did watch quite a lot of Rugby though and at the time there was more live Rugby on TV than football. The 1st one I can remember was Scotland losing at Twickenham in 1969.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:20 am

exile wrote:Yes, it was 1977. Before that while the English settled down in front of the TV to watch their Cup Final we got swimming from Coatbridge Baths or something.
The 1970 replay at Old Trafford was shown live in Scotland.
exile wrote:England v Scotland - 1961 may not have been televised but 1963 was (I've seen it on video - Arthur Montford was the commentator) but don't know if it was live.
I don't think it was. Montford goes into detail in the 1963 Scotsport Annual about how they managed to get edited highlights on later in the evening. The first England v Scotland match at Wembley shown live in Scotland was either 1969 or 1971. Certainly the latter was as I can still recall our 'wonderful' supporters expressing their undying loyalty by chanting 'If you hate Bobby Brown clap your hands.'
exile wrote:World Cup ties - not sure of the 1st qualifier to be televised live. Possibly Scotland - Switzerland 1957? Or Czechoslovakia 1961? Both had low attendances (60,000) so that may have been the cause.

Italy 1965 (1-0, John Greig) wasn't live - highlights only (Peter Thomson the commentator). What about Germany 1969 (1-1, Murdoch and Mueller the scorers)? Youtube has a video of it - with commentary in German!
The comparatively low attendances at the first two games mentioned were down to early evening kick-offs on account of lack of floodlighting at Hampden. The West Germany match was on the radio, not TV, though the return match in Hamburg was live. AFAIK the first live World Cup game at home was v Czechoslovakia in 1973. In fact until the advent of satellite TV very few home qualifiers were ever shown live - a fact that should be remembered when there are powerful voices demanding the right for the state to dictate to the SFA which broadcasters should be permitted to show Scotland's qualifying games
exile wrote:YWe only had TV intermittently in the late 60s and early 70s due to lack of dosh and Dad wasn't a football fan anyway so the 1st live match I saw was Brazil v England in the 1970 World Cup. The 1st one involving Scotland - unfortunately, the 5-1 at Wembley in 1975!
First live game I can remember is Scotland v England in 1964 when Alan Gilzean scored the only goal. That 1975 game was the first match v England that I had the misfortune to watch south of the border - an experience that disabused me of the notion that English fans didn't take it all that seriously and which prompted me thereafter to watch the next four such encounters in the flesh, safe in the knowledge that if we got humped there was some comfort in numbers!

MadMac

Post by MadMac » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:12 pm

To answer the various points:

1) What may have confused the old memory re live Scottish Cup finals is that 1971 was probably the first final broadcast (albeit only recorded highlights) in colour. IIRC, the replay was in black & white courtesy of Montford's Mad Movies due to the Hampden lights not being up to the job.

2) Wembley - 1969 was definitely live, as I distinctly remember watching with my Dad. IIRC, it was, somewhat bizarrely, a Saturday evening kick-off.

3) FA Cup Finals - I have a recollection of the extra time being shown in 1968 (WBA 1 - Everton 0) and subsequent years. The 1970 replay was definitely shown live.

kiwiscot

Clyde v Aberdeen Televised League Game

Post by kiwiscot » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:57 pm

The 1969 game from Wembley was the first shown live in Scotland as previously the Wembley games were played during a full Scottish league programme the same day. The 1969 match was the first time it was moved from October/November/ April , Home International dates, to the end of the season, played in 7 days. The 1969 whole tournament fixtures were shown live throughout the UK , with the Wembley match being an evening kick off as if IRC Ireland played Wales at Windsor Park in the afternoon. The Wales match with Scotland at Wrexham had complaints from spectaters who had bought top seats and who's views were spoilt by temporary scaffolding erected for the TV gantry. Because of low attendences at some of the games ,the live TV was scrapped apart from the Scotland V England match from there on in ,until the tournament was scrapped. Another game I remember live from 1969 was Wales V The Rest of UK from Cardiff.

HibeeJibee

Re: Clyde v Aberdeen Televised League Game?

Post by HibeeJibee » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:26 pm

Mega-bump.

In obituary of Ronnie "Mr Spartans" Swan:
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/l ... f=obinsite

He, of course, turned out for the football and rugby teams in between his studies, captaining the former to success in the Queen’s Park Shield, while also representing his country when a Scottish Universities team took on their rivals from England.

The clash at Westerlands in Glasgow proved a landmark occasion, with the second half becoming the first-ever live broadcast of football in Scotland.

Anyone know when this game was?