Closed Circuit TV matches

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
soccerhistory

Closed Circuit TV matches

Post by soccerhistory » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:14 pm

I'm interested in details of any closed circuit tv matches that were relayed back either to local cinemas or the home ground of the away team, principally in the 1960s.

The only record I have of a game involving a Scottish club relates to the Fairs Cup tie between Leeds and Rangers in April 1968 which was shown on large screens at Ibrox. Is there any record of the attendance at Ibrox for this tie? The first leg was also shown on CCTV back at Leeds as well.

Any information on this or other games of a similar nature involving Scottish clubs will be of interest to me.

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Closed Circuit TV matches

Post by Scottish » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:48 pm

soccerhistory wrote: Is there any record of the attendance at Ibrox for this tie? The first leg was also shown on CCTV back at Leeds as well.
43,177 watched the Elland Road leg at Ibrox and 21,000 watched the Ibrox game at Elland Road.

kiwiscot

Close Circuit TV games

Post by kiwiscot » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:03 pm

I seem to remember the West Brom V Dunfermline ECWC Quarter Final possibly being screened at East End Park and a high wind tore one of the screens down or is my old mind playing tricks on me.

soccerhistory

Post by soccerhistory » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:55 pm

You are correct about the WBA v Dunfermline match - there were two screens and one was ripped by the high winds. There were several interruptions in the broadcast and sound was cut off for a while. Were you at East End Park that night (attendance was around 7,000 from what I've read)?

kiwiscot

Close Circuit Tv matches

Post by kiwiscot » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:42 pm

No I wasnt at the match, I was a 15yo Glasgow boy at the time, but your question jolted something in the deep vaults of the memory bank .I will look later at the programmes from both legs to see if anything is mentioned on this subject.

Gordon Baird

Post by Gordon Baird » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:05 am

The closed-circuit coverage at Dunfermline was organised by a London company called Sportsound who erected two screens, 30 x 40 feet, each costing £600. The one facing the stand was ripped to shreds by high winds earlier in the day and was hastily replaced by a whitewashed tarpaulin.
Crowd was limited to 12,000, with prices at 8 shillings for the stand (for which tickets were available) and 5 for the west terracing, but as it was 7,000 turned up on a bitterly cold night to watch the game.
Just after Dunfermline scored in the second minute, the west screen lost its picture after a fault developed in the projector. As fans rushed round to watch the other, they accidentally severed a cable and the commentary, by ITV's Brian Moore, was lost for ten minutes. The other screen was back in operation before half-time and the second half was relatively problem free.
Hope this is of some help.

kiwiscot

Close Circuit TV Matches

Post by kiwiscot » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:37 am

It sounded like, in the words of the great Arthur , A stramash.