Dumbarton History

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
bertmart

Dumbarton History

Post by bertmart » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:14 pm

I'm conducting research on Patrick O'Connell, the only Irishman to manage Barcelona and a Dumbarton player during the season 1919-20. On that, I was hoping for some assistance on two matters.

What club histories of Dumbarton are out there, that dedicate at least some space to this season (I find that if a club didn't win anything, club histories skip to the season that they did). Also, does anyone know where Dumbarton FC's records are kept? The club haven't been forthcoming with this information (maybe they don't know?) and I will be visiting the area in a month's time, and would love to look at minute books, financial records etc

On an aside, O'Connell was signed by George Livingstone. Livinstone played for Manchester United from 1909-1914 when he retired, the same time as O'Connell was signed. Does anyone know if Livingstone remained in the Manchester area (i.e. would he have known O'Connell, and may this be a reason he was signed?)

Thanks

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:25 pm

John Weir wrote a history of Vale of Leven a number of years ago, but I'm not sure if Dumbarton have ever had one. For whatever reason, the Dunbartonshire clubs have been sorely neglected

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:47 pm

Jim McAllister's excellent 'Sons of the Rock' is a fine history of the club. Unlike many club histories, it is refreshingly low on narrative but very high on statistics.
I have seen copies appear regularly on e-bay so shouldn't be too difficult to get your hands on one.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:41 pm

I got my copy from the club this year - very good.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:33 am

See my response on your other thread about O'Connell. There is no direct mention of him in the text in the Dumbarton history.

laughingravy

Post by laughingravy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:59 pm

It is reported in "The Sons of the Rock" book, that the club records were destroyed in a fire at Boghead in the 1930s. This makes Jim McAllister's excellent book even more creditable. This maybe why the club are not "forthcoming", they probably have little, if any, information on a player who only played one season for the club.

bertmart

Post by bertmart » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:06 pm

Many thanks all :)

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:07 pm

The number of clubs whose records have wafted away with the smoking embers is truly remarkable. Queen`s Park`s, for example, went up in flames on Christmas Day 1945 - twenty two minutes past one to be precise as the time the clock above the main entrance stopped(see photograph on pages 88 & 89 of the excellent "THE FIRST 100 YEARS OF HAMPDEN - THE OFFICIAL CENTENARY HISTORY") . Oh, what treasures of 19th century Scottish football history disappeared that night. Richard Robinson`s 1920 club history is all we have and even at 445 pages he`s just picked and chosen snippets.