Ronnie Sharp

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
the hibLOG

Ronnie Sharp

Post by the hibLOG » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:38 am

Chap on the Yahoo Hibs list asking about:

"... Ronnie Sharp, who might have played for Hibs in the 1950s?
He doesn't feature on the 'neilbrown' list, and I've a bit of a google round other sites without success. So it may be that he didn't feature much in the first team (perhaps understandable given the calibre at the club in that fabulous decade).
However, Ronnie has recently died and a mate at work, who is a friend of the family, is trying to find out a little of background. He thinks that Ronnie had emigrated to Canada as a youngster, returned to Scotland in his early 20s & was on the books at Hibs and at least one other Scottish club in the 1950s. i don't know what position he played."

Any info anyone?
Fraser

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:44 am

http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/ ... esharp.htm is the player in question, perhaps?
It's the Hope I can't stand

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:32 am

bobby s wrote:http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/ ... esharp.htm is the player in question, perhaps?
Looks likely - cheers Bobby. Just forwarded this to the Hibs list.
Fraser

smokiesnwine

Post by smokiesnwine » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:31 pm

I checked through the Hibs Handbooksi have from the 50's and there is no mention of a Ronnie Sharp playing for 1st 2nd or 3rd teams. The only season i don't have appearances for the reserve teams is 1957/58 so he may have been at the club then if it is a different Ronnie Sharp from the link Bobby posted.

Another possibility is that he could have played as "Newman", "A.N. Other" or "Junior" as between them there are over 100 appearances for the 2nd, but mainly the 3rd teams listed.

cowdenbeather

Post by cowdenbeather » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:32 am

Ronnie Sharp's father was James Sharp. He was a goalkeeper with Hibs in 1925 and then moved to Dunfermline Athletic in 1926. He then went to Canada but returned in 1932 and played with Third Lanark until 1934. Then he spent a short time with East Fife.

Ronnie was born in Montreal in 1932. He started his career in the Fife juveniles with Broomhall (from Charlestown) as a goalkeeper but switched to become an outside left because he was 'too wee'. Then he was with Steelend Vics in the Fife juniors playing 1 game as a trialist for St Johnstone. Next he was called up for National Service. He played in a cup final during that time - I think for the BAOR (British Army of the Rhine) v the RAF. When he came home afterwards he played junior with Tranent and then Steelend Vics again. Then his career took him to Arbroath, Doncaster Rovers, Montrose and Brechin.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:20 am

Thanks Cowdenbeather for that update. Excellent stuff. Explains where the Hibs connection came from.
Fraser

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:42 am

cowdenbeather wrote:Ronnie Sharp's father was James Sharp. He was a goalkeeper with Hibs in 1925 and then moved to Dunfermline Athletic in 1926. He then went to Canada but returned in 1932 and played with Third Lanark until 1934. Then he spent a short time with East Fife.
James made his competitive debut on the 26th September 1925 in a Scottish League game at Raith Rovers which Hibs lost 1-0.

He went on to play 20 league games and 1 Scottish Cup for Hibs, all in season 1925-1926.

He replaced Willie Harper who left for Arsenal.
It's the Hope I can't stand