Louis Boyle Testomonial

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
kiwiscot

Louis Boyle Testomonial

Post by kiwiscot » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:44 pm

I'm currently doing a detailed catalogue of every match I've been to and I wonder if anyone can give me some help on this one. The match in question was a testomonial for long serving Ashfield match secretery Louis Boyle between a Junior select ( possibly from the Junior Clubs in the North of Glasgow ) and a Rangers/Celtic select at Ashfield Stadium ( Saracen Park ) on a Monday afternoon (possibly September Weekend ) in 1973 and I'm sure it could have been a couple of days before Scotland beat Czechoslovakia to qualify for the 1974 World Cup. I cannot remember the score or if anybody has the team lineups, I do know local Possilpark boy Johnny Hamilton played for the Old Firm. Thanks in advance.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:19 pm

In the history of Ashfield, published 2007, there is a picture of the ticket for this match. It was on Monday 24 September 1973, ko 3pm, and was between a North West Junior Select and a Rangers/Celtic Select.

However, there is no further detail about the game itself, so getting the teams etc may mean a trip into the vaults of the Evening Times.

kiwiscot

Louis Boyle Testomonial

Post by kiwiscot » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:00 pm

Thanks Scottish FA, looks like the Junior Select is taken from the teams that contested the Maryhill Charity Cup ie Ashfield/Maryhill/ Perthshire and Petershill all from the North and North West of Glasgow. I'm not planning a trip home until next year so the Mitchell Library is out until then. Perhaps the too hard basket for now.