ARTHURLIE v CELTIC X1 - 26 August 1937

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
sureitsza

ARTHURLIE v CELTIC X1 - 26 August 1937

Post by sureitsza » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:50 pm

Came across this match today when going through the Evening Times but couldn't find anything mentioned of the game in the following days Times.

Anyway, looking for result, Celtic scorers (if any) and Celtic team from the game if anyone can help.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:27 am

I dont have any record of Arthurlie playing Celtic then but I might have missed it. Im down at the local library on Saturday morning, all day if our game is cancelled AGAIN! so will have a look.

Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:24 pm

I have a set of note books from the era which ive just dug out and there is no mention of this game happening. Arthurlie played Duntocher Hibs on Friday 27th and Cambuslang Rangers on Saturday 28th also having played \renfrew on Tuesday 23rd so the fact they had so many games already that week plus its not listed in these books which are very detailed leads me to think it didnt take place.

On that topic Arthurlie were to play a Celtic XI this season which was advertised but eventually was postponed.

Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:06 pm

Back again with my tail firmly between my legs! The game did take place but I cant help with scorers, line ups or even scores! This is the account from the Bahhead News August 27th 1937

Football Memories Recalled

Arthurlie Meet Celtic Again

Memories of that glorious day in Barrhead many years ago when Arthurlie beat Celtic were recalled last night when the Glasgow team were the guests of Arthurlie in a benifit game at Dunterlie Park. The match proved a big attraction and several thousand spectators witnessed a keen tussle.

The game had been arranged as part of the transfer deal between Arthurlie and Celtic of Oliver Anderson and the proceedes will go towards the Barrhead clubs grounds fund.

At half time Arthurlies Central Championship flag was unfurrled by Provost Gavin Donald. After the game the Celtic officials and players were entertained to tea as a social gathering in the Court Hall.

Sorry but thats all there was, now I know the game did take place I will keep my eye open for more information.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:58 pm

I doubt if it could have bee a full-strength Celtic side as they had a league match v QoS 24 hours previously.

Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:09 am

Also got Celtic playing Arthurlie on 22nd August 1921 for the opening of the new Dunterlie Park, the second one, at Boyds Field. Celtic brought a near full stregnth side, no team lines though, and won 3-1 coming from a goal down. 3000 at the game paying a total of £113.