Edinburgh Festival Select v Bayern Munich mid 80s

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Post Reply
the hibLOG
Posts: 1163
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:41 am
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Edinburgh Festival Select v Bayern Munich mid 80s

Post by the hibLOG » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:59 pm

Anyone remember any details of this match? An Edinburgh Select wearing black and white played a 'Festival Football' friendly against I think Bayern Munich at Tynecastle. Must have been August 84 or 85ish as I seem to recall Willie Irvine and Mickey Weir being involved and Craig Levein.
Fraser

Henry Smith
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:30 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Post by Henry Smith » Mon May 03, 2010 9:35 am

Hi,

The match was at Tynecastle on August 13th 1985 and according to my records ended 1-1.

I don't have anything beyond that other than the attendance was small enogh for the idea never to be pursued again.

Anybody got anything they can add?

Henry
Henry Henry Henry Henry

Gorgiewave
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Madrid
Contact:

Post by Gorgiewave » Mon May 03, 2010 3:29 pm

Henry Smith wrote:Hi,

The match was at Tynecastle on August 13th 1985 and according to my records ended 1-1.

I don't have anything beyond that other than the attendance was small enogh for the idea never to be pursued again.

Anybody got anything they can add?

Henry
At least Bayern came back to Edinburgh soon enough!
"He took about half an hour to do it, but he did it!"

the hibLOG
Posts: 1163
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:41 am
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Post by the hibLOG » Tue May 04, 2010 3:54 am

Henry Smith wrote:The match was at Tynecastle on August 13th 1985 and according to my records ended 1-1.

I don't have anything beyond that other than the attendance was small enogh for the idea never to be pursued again.

Anybody got anything they can add?
Only that it was a nice sunny day from my recollection. Someone else had a memory that there was a penalty shoot out to decide a winner but I can't say I remember. Probably gone off to see another version of Waiting for Godot by then.

Thanks for the date though - confirms my guesstimate was not far off.
Fraser

sureitsza
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:13 pm
Contact:

Post by sureitsza » Tue May 04, 2010 3:08 pm

EDINBURGH SELECT 2 BAYERN MUNICH 1

E. SELECT SCORERS: Irvine (50'), Robertson (72')
BM SCORER: Mathy (56')

ES: Rough (Smith), Kidd (Sneddon), Munro (Whittaker), Levein, Rae, Black, Mackay, Durie (Colquhoun), Irvine, Robertson, McBride (Lawrence)

BM: Plaff, Winklofer, Plugher, Eder, Beierlorzeri, Augenthaler, Lerby, Mathy, Nachtweih, Hoeness, Rummenigge, Wolfarth

Att: 7,669

source: Hearts v Bayern programme

the hibLOG
Posts: 1163
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:41 am
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Post by the hibLOG » Tue May 04, 2010 11:24 pm

Wow - even more excellent info. Of course I'd forgotten Karl-Heinz Rummenigge was playing, but now that you mention it I seem to remember him doing a Klinsmann (before Klinsmann) in a pathetic attempt to win a penalty and being roundly jeered for the rest of the match.

Could have sworn Mickey Weir played too, but there you go.
Fraser

Henry Smith
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:30 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Post by Henry Smith » Thu May 06, 2010 10:25 pm

sureitsza wrote:EDINBURGH SELECT 2 BAYERN MUNICH 1

E. SELECT SCORERS: Irvine (50'), Robertson (72')
BM SCORER: Mathy (56')

ES: Rough (Smith), Kidd (Sneddon), Munro (Whittaker), Levein, Rae, Black, Mackay, Durie (Colquhoun), Irvine, Robertson, McBride (Lawrence)

BM: Plaff, Winklofer, Plugher, Eder, Beierlorzeri, Augenthaler, Lerby, Mathy, Nachtweih, Hoeness, Rummenigge, Wolfarth

Att: 7,669

source: Hearts v Bayern programme

Good call. Shows how prominent the game is in history that I have the score wrong Still Robbo scoring the winner?

Nothing changes.
Henry Henry Henry Henry

the hibLOG
Posts: 1163
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:41 am
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Post by the hibLOG » Fri May 07, 2010 12:08 am

Also someone else tells me that it was not Karl-Heinz but the younger, less famous Rummenigge who was playing. Still took a dive though...
Fraser

Scottish
Site Admin
Posts: 7665
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:51 pm
Contact:

Post by Scottish » Fri May 07, 2010 11:02 pm

the hibLOG wrote:Also someone else tells me that it was not Karl-Heinz but the younger, less famous Rummenigge who was playing. Still took a dive though...
Yes, it would have to be Michael. KH was at Inter Milan at that time.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests