Late postponements

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Gorgiewave

Late postponements

Post by Gorgiewave » Sat May 01, 2010 7:33 am

Does anybody know the latest that a match has been postponed? I mean before the match, not including abandoned matches. I remember travelling from Edinburgh to Starks Park to see Raith Rovers v Montrose in the Cup in about 2003 and it was postponed while we were on the train. I don't remember if we were due to arrive in good time or just in time for kick off, but we ended up in the Adam Smith museum.
"He took about half an hour to do it, but he did it!"

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat May 01, 2010 10:02 am

I can't think of specific examples offhand but I'm fairly sure there have been many occasions when sudden changes in weather have forced postponements with fans already in the ground.

Tom Brogan

Post by Tom Brogan » Sat May 01, 2010 4:24 pm

Hamilton vs. Dundee United from this season must have a good shout for latest postponement. Fifteen minutes before kick-off according to the local paper.

http://www.hamiltonadvertiser.co.uk/ham ... -25459808/

Snuff

late call-offs

Post by Snuff » Sun May 02, 2010 8:36 am

Some years ago, before Rugby Park became an all-seater stadium, a match against I think Stirling Albion was called off by the referee (John Duncan from Gorebridge I think), at ten to three.

The heavens were certainly open at that point and there were puddles on the pitch, but the referee was told: "Give it 15 minutes from the rain stopping and the pitch will be playable".

He wouldn't listen and the game was called off. The rain stopped at 3pm and at 3.15pm some of the press had a kick-about on the pitch, to prove the referee had got it wrong.
Snuff

LLD

Post by LLD » Sun May 02, 2010 10:50 am

I was down south working last year and went along to see Durham City v Newcastle Blue Star play in midweek.
Despite the fact that the park in Durham is artificial the ref called the game off five minutes before kick off because it was frozen!

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Sun May 02, 2010 11:30 am

Here was a Hibs partick thistle game circa 95 that was postponed after scheduled kick off after floodlights failed. The match never started and many fans never got in at all.
It's the Hope I can't stand

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Mon May 03, 2010 10:08 am

scottish wrote:I can't think of specific examples offhand but I'm fairly sure there have been many occasions when sudden changes in weather have forced postponements with fans already in the ground.
Indeed. There will be plenty of examples of postponements not long before kick off. This season's Hamilton v Dundee United game is a very obvious example.

I can also recall travelling all the way to Arbroath for an Arbroath v QoS match which Willie Young decided was too windy to be played (he was right). He had both keepers out on the park to see if they could clear the penalty area with a goal kick. They couldn't so he wanted it called off. The groundsman persuaded him to wait until the tide changed at twenty to three because the wind often dropped when that happened. With both sets of fans pretty much already there anyway he agreed but it made no odds and the game was called off at 2:45. We hadn't actually entered the ground though.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Tue May 04, 2010 4:00 am

Skyline Drifter wrote:I can also recall travelling all the way to Arbroath for an Arbroath v QoS match which Willie Young decided was too windy to be played (he was right). He had both keepers out on the park to see if they could clear the penalty area with a goal kick. They couldn't so he wanted it called off. The groundsman persuaded him to wait until the tide changed at twenty to three because the wind often dropped when that happened. With both sets of fans pretty much already there anyway he agreed but it made no odds and the game was called off at 2:45. We hadn't actually entered the ground though.
Reminds me of a game I once played in which took place entirely within a ten yard strip along one touchline thanks to a rather strong lateral wind coming off Newmarket Heath. Every time the ball went out (which was frequently) some unfortunate had a hundred yard chase to retrieve it. Goalless draw, needless to say.
Fraser

qpsnapper

Post by qpsnapper » Tue May 04, 2010 10:37 am

Skyline Drifter wrote: I can also recall travelling all the way to Arbroath for an Arbroath v QoS match which Willie Young decided was too windy to be played (he was right). He had both keepers out on the park to see if they could clear the penalty area with a goal kick. They couldn't so he wanted it called off. The groundsman persuaded him to wait until the tide changed at twenty to three because the wind often dropped when that happened. With both sets of fans pretty much already there anyway he agreed but it made no odds and the game was called off at 2:45. We hadn't actually entered the ground though.
QP had their first game at Montrose this season called off at five to three in almost identical circumstances.

A howling wind, and the locals persauded the ref that when the tide turned in the basin the wind would die down, only problem was the tide wasn't due to turn until 2:45, needless to say even then the wind kept howling and the ref was left with little option but to postpone the match at almost the last possible moment before kick off.