James Baillie

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Beyemystic

James Baillie

Post by Beyemystic » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:56 pm

Does anyone know if the James Baillie who played for Alloa from 1964-69 is the same person as Jim Baillie who played for Dunfermline in 73/4 and Berwick Rangers 74/5?

I have no d.o.b. for James but he started with Lochore Welfare and was a trainee at Celtic before Alloa.

Jim pitched up in Fife with Dunfermline aged nearly 30, reportedly from Cambridge United in England.

I can't find record of him playing at CU, unless it was in the Southern League (before 1970).

The dates I can find seem to fit, plus the Fife connection makes me think it's the same guy. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks.

Steve Emms

Post by Steve Emms » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:31 pm

I can't confirm whether it's the same player, but like you I was concerned that I couldn't find any reference to Jim Baillie at Cambridge United. However I have found a 1970-1 team photo of Cambridge CITY, which does include a J Baillie. This date would again fit in with the Alloa man[/u]

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:34 pm

Cambridge City seems likely, especially as there is no record of him being with Cambridge United either in Hugman or any of the relevant Rothmans.

Townfan

Post by Townfan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:07 pm

Maybe he just didn't play in the League?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:20 pm

Townfan wrote:Maybe he just didn't play in the League?
Apart from the fact that it is highly unusual for a player, aged 25 at the time of signing, to spend five full seasons without making a first team appearance, it is also the case that Rothmans included all players on a club's books. Thus in the first edition for example, of 36 players registered with Man Utd, 12 made no appearances the previous season and eight had made no league appearances whatsoever.

soccerhistory

Post by soccerhistory » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:09 am

There's a team pic for Cambridge City in 1970-71 here:

http://ccfcgallery.smugmug.com/City-Tea ... 1397_bsLYG

This should resolve the issue. The same site has a very grainy picture for 1971-72 as well.

Gordon Baird

Post by Gordon Baird » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:47 am

From Dunfermline programme v Rangers, 3.11.73:
Aged 29, Jim began his career in the junior grade with Lochore Welfare and joined Celtic as a part-time player. He remained at Parkhead for three seasons, playing mainly in the reserve team.
From Celtic, Jim joined Alloa Athletic and spent about three seasons with the Second Division club before moving south to play for Cambridge City in the Southern League.
He joined Cambridge along with ex-East End striker Ian Hunter, who is still with the club. Jim moved last season to Bedford Town but, for domestic reasons, returned home to Lochgelly earlier this year.
After training here for a couple of weeks, Jim signed as a full-timer. He is a motor engineer to trade.
During his years with Cambridge, he collected a number of honours and was a member of a side which included no fewer than three ex-international players, one of them Cliff Jones, formerly of Spurs.

Gordon Baird

Post by Gordon Baird » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:49 am

Sorry, forgot to say that he made 5 league appearances for Dunfermline, scoring twice, before being released at the end of the season. I think he may have played for Berwick Rangers for a while after that.

Beyemystic

Post by Beyemystic » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:52 pm

:D Brilliant, thanks for the replies! That would explain why he wasn't in the 72/3 Cambridge City team photo too.

1960sfitbafan

Ian Hunter

Post by 1960sfitbafan » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:30 pm

I noticed the reference to the late Ian Hunter, former Dunfermline, Falkirk and Cambridge City forward.

I discovered not that long ago that he tragically died aged 34 while player manager of Brora Rangers, the Highland League club.

Does anybody have any further details ?