Armadale Thistle v Bo'ness United Scottish Cup c. 1989

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Gorgiewave

Armadale Thistle v Bo'ness United Scottish Cup c. 1989

Post by Gorgiewave » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:07 pm

Can anybody give details of the above match? It was Scottish Cup I think, though it may have been another cup. No idea of the score. The memorable thing about it was that Armadale played in red so my grandpa and I quite erronesouly cheered on Bo'ness.
"He took about half an hour to do it, but he did it!"

gogsy1968

Post by gogsy1968 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:48 pm

Armadale beat Bo'ness 2-1 in the second round in 1989/90 season

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Armadale Thistle v Bo'ness United Scottish Cup c. 1989

Post by Scottish » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:15 pm

Gorgiewave wrote:Armadale played in red so my grandpa and I quite erronesouly cheered on Bo'ness.
Which would explain you being in Madrid rather than West Lothian. They do tend to take a long time to forgive in those parts. I recall a friend of mine from Bathgate who would never mention the word 'Bo'ness' without prefacing it with 'Dirty' and insisting this was on account of their style of play - in the 1920s!

Gorgiewave

Post by Gorgiewave » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:10 am

scottish wrote:
Gorgiewave wrote:Armadale played in red so my grandpa and I quite erronesouly cheered on Bo'ness.
Which would explain you being in Madrid rather than West Lothian. They do tend to take a long time to forgive in those parts.
My dad and I had a bad day at Ballingry last month. The score had seemed to go: goal for Armadale in first half, another in second half, late penalty for Ballingry. Result: good away win. Then on the way out all the Armadale people were muttering about how they should never have let a lead slip like that, tnhey thatcher should never have got two penalties, the ref's a homer (no "modern" connotations to that word), etc.

My dad - football fan since about 1957 - and I had both missed a goal in the same match.

Has anybody ever done that without realising? Not arriving late or being caught in the toilet, just clean missed a goal?

Ballingray's tangerine suggests their founders supported a certain SPL club. Can anybody confirm?

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:28 am

Gorgiewave wrote:
scottish wrote:
Which would explain you being in Madrid rather than West Lothian. They do tend to take a long time to forgive in those parts.
My dad and I had a bad day at Ballingry last month. The score had seemed to go: goal for Armadale in first half, another in second half, late penalty for Ballingry. Result: good away win. Then on the way out all the Armadale people were muttering about how they should never have let a lead slip like that, tnhey thatcher should never have got two penalties, the ref's a homer (no "modern" connotations to that word), etc.

My dad - football fan since about 1957 - and I had both missed a goal in the same match.

Has anybody ever done that without realising? Not arriving late or being caught in the toilet, just clean missed a goal?

Ballingray's tangerine suggests their founders supported a certain SPL club. Can anybody confirm?
:?

How on earth could you both miss a penalty being awarded, taken and scored? I could have just about understood not noticing a goal had been scored (I've seen the other way on occasion when people didn't realise one had been ruled out) but given that you say they were both penalties I'm flabbergasted.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:25 am

Gorgiewave wrote: Ballingray's tangerine suggests their founders supported a certain SPL club. Can anybody confirm?
Can't see any reason for an affinity between a Fife junior side and Dundee United. I presume that's who you meant.

Gorgiewave

Post by Gorgiewave » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:03 pm

Skyline Drifter wrote:
Gorgiewave wrote:
scottish wrote: Which would explain you being in Madrid rather than West Lothian. They do tend to take a long time to forgive in those parts.

:?

How on earth could you both miss a penalty being awarded, taken and scored? I could have just about understood not noticing a goal had been scored (I've seen the other way on occasion when people didn't realise one had been ruled out) but given that you say they were both penalties I'm flabbergasted.[/quote]

I don't know either, unless it was within the first minute when we were still listening to the radio in the car. But we still didn't hear anything or see the aftermath or anything.

Slagging-off answers on a postcode.

Gorgiewave

Post by Gorgiewave » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:07 pm

scottish wrote:
Gorgiewave wrote: Ballingray's tangerine suggests their founders supported a certain SPL club. Can anybody confirm?
Can't see any reason for an affinity between a Fife junior side and Dundee United. I presume that's who you meant.
That is what I meant, black shorts as well. Though no necessary connection exists, I thought the combination is rare enough to be suspicious. Founded in 1956 IIRC so one would have to exclude a founder copying his "big team" - AFAIK, United were not associated with tangerine by then, using a green away strip. Is that right?

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:57 am

Gorgiewave wrote:That is what I meant, black shorts as well. Though no necessary connection exists, I thought the combination is rare enough to be suspicious. Founded in 1956 IIRC so one would have to exclude a founder copying his "big team" - AFAIK, United were not associated with tangerine by then, using a green away strip. Is that right?
Indeed it is: http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottis ... United.htm

Still in black and white in them days. Didn't go tangerine until the advent of Spanish package holidays and ambre solaire in 1969.
Fraser