Celtic's 'Home' Games At Hampden...But Why?

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
MadMac

Celtic's 'Home' Games At Hampden...But Why?

Post by MadMac » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:56 am

A thread came up on the Football Ground Guide site about teams playing home matches at other grounds - what they're talking about is one-offs rather than season(s) long groundshares. At the start of the 72-73 season, Celtic played their first two home league games at Hampden, against Kilmarnock (Saturday evening kick-off - presumably due to Queen's Park also being at home) and Rangers. This post-dates the construction of the then-new main stand at Parkhead - they actually played both league cup section games against Rangers at Ibrox the previous season due to that not being finished. I can't remember the reason for the 72/73 games being switched. Anyone recall?

Townfan

Re: Celtic's 'Home' Games At Hampden...But Why?

Post by Townfan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:48 am

As I recall, there was a safety issue with the Parkhead stand. Celtic also played Arbroath [3-3] at Hampden in the League Cup.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:33 am

They also played Rosenborg in the European Cup at Hampden three days before the Rangers game. Of course they had played other 'big' games there - Ajax, Leeds, Racing Club - but those were on account of capacity.

There was another (non-Final or SF) League Cup match at Hampden that season against Dundee but that was a 'neutral' play-off quarter-final tie.

In addition to those League Cup games Celtic also played a 'home' match there v Dundee United in 1994-95 when they used Hampden for all their home games. Third Lanark played nine home games there in the League Cup in 1946-47, 47-48 & 62-63 and it was also the venue for a quarter-final second relay between Hibs and Aberdeen in 1950-51.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:12 pm

Queen`s Park actually played five "away" games @ Hampden. When 3rd Lanark moved in to 2nd Hampden during the summer of 1903, the building work took longer than expected & the new Cathkin Park wasn`t ready for the start of the 1903-04 season so Queen`s magnanimously allowed them to use new Hampden Park for their home games until it was, playing 5 away games in succession to facilitate this arrangement. Queen`s "away" game on 5th September 1903 was, therefore, played @ new Hampden & ended in a goal-less draw. The Hi-Hi won their only title that season & the Spiders finished a healthy 8th. Six years later and Partick Thistle were the nomads without a ground at all for 1908-09 season. They played all their "home" games away and so their Hampden visit on 8th April 1909 was a Queen`s away match which they won 2-1. Celtic played their home game vs. Queen`s @ Hampden on 17th April 1928 because an early start had been made on Parkhead ground improvements with a view to hanselling the new grandstand for 1928-29 season. Queen`s again won 2-1. 3rd Lanark`s Cathkin was in a dire state after the War and they played 1946-47 season and the beginning of the following year @ Hampden while improvement work was carried out so their two "home" games vs. Queen`s in those seasons had them bring their hamper down Leatherby Drive ending in a Queen`s 4-3 win on 7th September 1946 & a Thirds` 4-2 success on 20th September 1947.

Incidently, a novelty game played @ Hampden in October 1946 was a Queen`s/3rds select vs. a Polish side labelled "Silesia". Bob Crampsey relates in THE GAME FOR THE GAME`S SAKE that the Poles, supported by every member of the Polish Army in Scotland who could get the day off, won 2-1 "...and for the first time the famous slopes heard the sound of mass whistling as a token of disapproval.""The margin was narrow but the difference in class was that between thoroughbreds and selling platers." Sounds familiar.

With regards Celtic`s games @ Hampden in 1972-73, Queen`s drew 2-2 with E.Stirlingshire on 2nd September when Celtic played Killie in the evening. On 16th September Queen`s beat Stranraer @ Hampden but I don`t have a note of which game Celtic/Rangers or QP/Stranraer was played in the afternoon. David notes in THE ROAR OF THE CROWD that Queen`s had an average home attendance of approaching 750 for that season while the Celtic/Rangers game attracted over 50,000; I know which game I`d have stuck in the evening. We were living down in London at the time so I wasn`t there to confirm.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:03 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote: Celtic played their home game vs. Queen`s @ Hampden on 17th April 1928 because an early start had been made on Parkhead ground improvements with a view to hanselling the new grandstand for 1928-29 season. Queen`s again won 2-1.
I have that as 1929 and as a result of fire damage to Celtic Park.

MadMac

Post by MadMac » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:19 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:On 16th September Queen`s beat Stranraer @ Hampden but I don`t have a note of which game Celtic/Rangers or QP/Stranraer was played in the afternoon.
The OF game kicked off at 11 AM, IIRC.