Scoring in consecutive SPL/top-flight matches

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

Scoring in consecutive SPL/top-flight matches

Postby bungle1979 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:43 pm

After Kenny Miller's brace in the win at Aberdeeen on Sunday, I wondered if anyone knows the top flight record is for scoring in consecutive matches?

Have seen he was the first Rangers player since Lovenkrands to do so, which was 2005-06 by my reckoning.

If Miller were to score at the weekend, who was the last man to score in 7 top-flight matches in a row? I think I've found the last player to score 7 in a row for Rangers in the League... Marco Negri scored in the first 10 of the 1997-98 season?
bungle1979
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Scoring in consecutive SPL/top-flight matches

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:20 pm

Evelyn Morrison scored in 16 successive Division One games for Falkirk between 3rd November 1928 & 23rd February 1929 - 29 goals(a 4, 2 hat-tricks, 6 doubles and 7 singles). Mark Viduka(Celtic) holds the SPL record with 10(11 goals) between 28th November 1999 & 5th March 2000. Negri`s 10 in a row(23 goals) were Scottish Premier League games.
LEATHERSTOCKING
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:11 pm

Re: Scoring in consecutive SPL/top-flight matches

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:21 pm

I should say Negri`s games were Scottish League Premier Division ones.
LEATHERSTOCKING
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:11 pm

Re: Scoring in consecutive SPL/top-flight matches

Postby scottish » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Negri's ten (23 goals in total during the run, three of which were penalties) is a record (held jointly with Mark Viduka who scored in ten successive games but scored 'only' 11 goals) for the Premier Division/SPL. Ally McLeod of Hibs is the best outside the OF. He scored in eight successive league matches (ten goals in total) between Mar 11th - Apr 5th 1978 inclusive. Four of these were penalties. He also scored in the Scottish Cup defeat at Firhill four days before the first of his league run.

Whilst not exactly commonplace, runs of seven and more occurred fairly frequently in the days when there were plenty of goals scored. Some examples: Motherwell's Willie McFadyen had two runs of seven in succession in 1932-33, the season after he set the top flight scoring record of 52 goals. Kilmarnock's Andy Kerr hit 15 in seven league games between Nov 12th - Dec 24th 1960, equalling the achievement of 'Peerie' Cunningham in 1927-28 (the latter also had a run of six in a row that same season). But 'Bud' Maxwell went one better for Kilmarnock, scoring in the opening league games of 1933-34.

Joe McBride scored in seven successive league games for Celtic in 1965-66, forty years after Jimmy McGrory did the same. Frank O'Donnell also scored for Celtic in seven successive games, at the end of 1933-34. McGrory went one better at the start of 1935-36, scoring in the opening eight games.

For Rangers, Jimmy Smith scored in eight in a row the same season as O'Donnell then seven in succession two seasons later and another seven the season after that then a third run of seven the year after that, 1937-38.

So you can see it wasn't that unusual in the 1920s and 1930s (three examples on this page from 1933-34 alone) after the change to the offside law in 1925.
scottish
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7263
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:51 pm

Re: Scoring in consecutive SPL/top-flight matches

Postby bungle1979 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:22 pm

Wow, thanks for your detailed replies, much appreciated.

This could be a bit trickier - has anyone scored in 7 successive SPL matches for any club since Negri?

Any help much appreciated!
bungle1979
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Scoring in consecutive SPL/top-flight matches

Postby scottish » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:38 pm

bungle1979 wrote:.This could be a bit trickier - has anyone scored in 7 successive SPL matches for any club since Negri?


Yes, Viduka. His scoring streak was two seasons later.
scottish
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7263
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:51 pm

Re: Scoring in consecutive SPL/top-flight matches

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:59 pm

I think the post War record is Bobby Lennox`s 13 successive Division One games(21 goals) between 2nd March & 7th September 1968. Lennox also scored 5 in successive League Cup games 31st August & 11th September 1968. In the latter game, Stevie Chalmers also scored 5 in the 10-0 demolition of Hamilton. The apocryphal joke being the Accies supporter(not being able to make the match) staggering out of the pub as a Celtic supporters bus trundles past & asking the score. "10-0" being the answer. "Who fur?" the responding question. Here`s a wee pub question: Which late 20th/early 21stC player scored at least once against every one his contemporary 42 Scottish league clubs?
LEATHERSTOCKING
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:11 pm

Re: Scoring in consecutive SPL/top-flight matches

Postby MadMac » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:24 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:I think the post War record is Bobby Lennox`s 13 successive Division One games(21 goals) between 2nd March & 7th September 1968. Lennox also scored 5 in successive League Cup games 31st August & 11th September 1968. In the latter game, Stevie Chalmers also scored 5 in the 10-0 demolition of Hamilton. The apocryphal joke being the Accies supporter(not being able to make the match) staggering out of the pub as a Celtic supporters bus trundles past & asking the score. "10-0" being the answer. "Who fur?" the responding question. Here`s a wee pub question: Which late 20th/early 21stC player scored at least once against every one his contemporary 42 Scottish league clubs?


Derek Adams? Owen Coyle? Craig Brewster?
MadMac
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:27 pm

Re: Scoring in consecutive SPL/top-flight matches

Postby scottish » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:42 pm

I'd go for David Bingham. Coyle and Brewster never played in the bottom two divisions and that's an awful lot of cup ties to have scored in to meet the requirement. Derek Adams didn't score enough goals to be in the reckoning, I think.

Bingham's goals were spread across the divisions. 45 in the 1st, 36 in the 2nd and 49 in the third with a useful 19 in the top flight as well. Throw in 15 Scottish Cup goals, seven League Cup and nine others, mostly Challenge Cup, and that should be enough to account for everybody.
scottish
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7263
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:51 pm

Re: Scoring in consecutive SPL/top-flight matches

Postby Skyline Drifter » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:58 am

It's Roddy Grant. It's a fairly well known piece of trivia and was widely commented on in the press at the time. He finished the set with an Own Goal having never scored against whoever he was playing for at the time. Brechin I think.

It's out of date now of course as the question pre-dates the inclusion of Annan Athletic in the League (although I note Leatherstocking was accurate enough to include the word "contemporary" in his version of the question).
Skyline Drifter
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Dumfries

Re: Scoring in consecutive SPL/top-flight matches

Postby John Meffen » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:02 am

How interesting, I just posted about Evelyn Morrison's consecutive scoring feats on my Falkirk FC Blog. however I make it 28 goals not 29. :/

My figures are from the Falkirk Papers, not the nationals, so that might explain the discrepancy ;\
John Meffen
 

Re: Scoring in consecutive SPL/top-flight matches

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:21 am

Probably local papers are more accurate; how do they break down his tallies?
LEATHERSTOCKING
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:11 pm

Re: Scoring in consecutive SPL/top-flight matches

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:23 am

Doh! Posted BEFORE going on your link!
LEATHERSTOCKING
 
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:11 pm

Re: Scoring in consecutive SPL/top-flight matches

Postby scottish » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:14 pm

Skyline Drifter wrote:It's Roddy Grant. It's a fairly well known piece of trivia and was widely commented on in the press at the time. He finished the set with an Own Goal having never scored against whoever he was playing for at the time. Brechin I think.

It's out of date now of course as the question pre-dates the inclusion of Annan Athletic in the League (although I note Leatherstocking was accurate enough to include the word "contemporary" in his version of the question).


But it doesn't pre-date Gretna. So where is his goal v them? BTW I make it that Bingham scored against all but four - Dundee, Hamilton, Hibs & Rangers.
scottish
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7263
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:51 pm

Re: Scoring in consecutive SPL/top-flight matches

Postby Skyline Drifter » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:37 pm

scottish wrote:
Skyline Drifter wrote:It's Roddy Grant. It's a fairly well known piece of trivia and was widely commented on in the press at the time. He finished the set with an Own Goal having never scored against whoever he was playing for at the time. Brechin I think.

It's out of date now of course as the question pre-dates the inclusion of Annan Athletic in the League (although I note Leatherstocking was accurate enough to include the word "contemporary" in his version of the question).


But it doesn't pre-date Gretna. So where is his goal v them? BTW I make it that Bingham scored against all but four - Dundee, Hamilton, Hibs & Rangers.

I don't know. It's not my question. I'm merely saying that's the answer that's always given to that question which is one frequently commented on and posted on websites and which was extensively commented on in the press when he completed it.

Maybe it does pre-date Gretna? Grant's career certainly does. Maybe he scored against Airdrieonians previously to Gretna's election and that's what's counted in the "42"?

Perhaps Leatherstocking can shed some further light given he posed it, though I rather suspect he was just repeating it again from other sources?
Skyline Drifter
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Dumfries

Next

Return to SFAQS

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest