Help!! - East of Scotland Shield - my head hurts...

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
LEATHERSTOCKING

Re: Help!! - East of Scotland Shield - my head hurts...

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:33 pm

Do you have a photograph? I`ve never seen the shield.

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:47 am

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100 ... 50_2042441

Best I could find from Google. I've seen 1 or 2 black-and-white pictures of it on Hibs or Hearts historical sites, but the search engine isn't picking them up.

The Shield itself is a big disc, with a flat back but a bevelled front. Which is mainly covered in a large silver panel... the centre of which is a raised profile of a goalmouth scramble, IIRC, and around which the majority of the winners are listed. I think that more recent ones have been added on individual shields around the rim, plus (not sure but think so) most recent ones have had to go onto a panel on the back. There is also a back-panel listing the 6 winners of the Edinburgh Cup, which came before the EOS Shield - the Cup began in 1875-76 and after Hibs won '3 in a row' , it was replaced for 1881-82 by the current Edinburgh, later EOS, Shield. It's in good condition.

From what potted history I've managed to uncover so far: the Cup and then Shield ran on an all-in format. However for 1894-95 the 3 SFL clubs (Hearts, Hibs, St Bernards) resigned, presumably due to mis-matches and fixture congestion with the SFL and supplementary leagues. The EOS Qualifying Cup was introduced in 1896-97, mirroring a successful such innovation in the Scottish Cup, and the 4 League sides (now including Leith Athletic) entered directly - being joined by 'non-league' qualifiers. In 1903-04... after the Fife clubs fell out with the EOSFA, and split away entirely... the East of Scotland Cup (known colloquially as the "City Cup") was formed, using this "qualifiers plus League sides" format, and the EOS Shield became a tournament for the 4 League sides only. So it continued till the various other sides died off*, leaving Hearts + Hibs.

*Edinburgh City never entered until WWII, despite being in the Second Division.
*Berwick only entered in their first SFL season, but Leith quit at the end of that season, so presumably they standardised onto a single match each season... Hearts v Hibs.

[The East of Scotland Cup aka City Cup didn't involve Hearts or Hibs after sometime before WWI, although they did briefly re-enter... presumably with 2nd XIs... for 2 or 3 seasons before WWII. Therefore the City Cup became for non-league qualifiers + smaller SFL teams in the EOSFA (St Bernards, Leith, Edinburgh City, Berwick etc.) - format it essentially retains today, albeit only Berwick exist now].

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:24 pm

I understand that the Glasgow Cup is now played for by the 5 GFA members` U17 sides. I don`t know when this started but it was from 1989-90 for U18s.

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:18 pm

Yes and even more oddly, the Glasgow Cup this season is being played as a league!! Home-and-away, with the top 2 holding a Grand Final. Not sure if this is an innovation for this season, or if that's been regular in recent times.

The EOS Shield remains nominally an adult-level fixture (the rules, for example, make no mention of age restrictions). The 2 club come to a 'gentlemen's agreement', that they submit to the EOSFA before the game. In recent years they've gone for U-21s; Reserves; U-19s; and most recently U-17s.