Scottish Junior Internationals 1937 and 1938

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

Scottish Junior Internationals 1937 and 1938

Postby FlowGently » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:35 pm

Can anyone help with dates , teamlines of the following Scottish Junior Internationals
1937 England 4 Scotland 1 Molineux
1937 Scotland 3 Ireland 0 Ibrox*
1937 Wales 2 Scotland 1 Bangor

1938 Ireland 3 Scotland 3 Solitude
1938 Scotland 1 Wales 1 Cappielow

*I have a very brief report from the Scotland vs Ireland game at Ibrox in 1937 (mid April?) stating "The players at a recent Junior international at Ibrox, were numbered – most obliterated by the ‘glaur’" - would this be for the instance of the Junior international side being numbered?

thanks
FlowGently
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:41 pm

Re: Scottish Junior Internationals 1937 and 1938

Postby honestman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:06 pm

Scotland vIreland 6th Mar 1937, att. 8,000
White(Petershill)
Stewart(Dunipace)
Irvine(Glenafton Athletic)
Robertson(St. Johnstone YMCA)
Birse(Broughty Ex-service)
Hill(Tranent) capt
McIntyre(Portobello Renton)
Paterson(Hall Russell's)
Finnigan(Bo'ness Cadora)
Huskie(Musselburgh Athletic)
Keane(Kirkintilloch Rob Roy)
(scorers - Paterson, Finnigan, Huskie)

Scotland v England 24th April 1937
Mauchland(Lochee Harp)
Stewart(Dunipace)
Irvine)Glenafton Athletic)
Whiteford(Wishaw)
Clark(Portobello Renton)
Little(Blantyre Victoria)
McLean(Royal Albert)
Anderson(Arturlie)
Donoghue(Tranent)
Alston(Arthurlie)
Johnstone(Renfrew Juniors)

Scotland v Wales 26th February 1938, att. 10,000
McAffrey(Clydebank Juniors)
Martin(Yoker Athletic)
Stewart(Blantyre Celtic)
Porteous(Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic)
Watt(Wishaw) capt.
Brown(Cambuslang Rangers)
McLean(Morton Juniors)
McLean(Dalkeith Thistle)
McLintock(Dunipace)
Wilson(Dundee Violet)
Orr(Morton Juniors)
(scorer - Wilson)

Ireland v Scotland 19th Mar 1938, att. 8,000
Matthews(Dalkeith Thistle)
Stewart(Cambuslang Rangers)
Irvine(Glenafton Athletic) capt.
Clotworthy(Kilwinning Rangers)
Whiteford(Rutherglen Glencairn)
Whyte(Lochgelly Albert)
Gould(Neilston Victoria)
Hill(Stobswell)
Sim(Arthurlie)
Beston(Renfrew Juniors)
Hughes(Petershill)
(scorers - Gould, Sim, Hughes)
honestman
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:54 pm
Location: Ayrshire

Re: Scottish Junior Internationals 1937 and 1938

Postby Gordon Baird » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:44 pm

Is there a publication available that lists the teams for all the Scottish Junior International fixtures? I'm particularly interested in late 19th/ early 20th century matches.
Gordon Baird
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:37 am
Location: Paignton

Re: Scottish Junior Internationals 1937 and 1938

Postby honestman » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:30 pm

I am currently working on the Junior Internationals although getting details of the 1970's and 1980's is not easy.
honestman
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:54 pm
Location: Ayrshire

Re: Scottish Junior Internationals 1937 and 1938

Postby soccerhistory » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:41 pm

This is as far as I've got with some very intermittent research on the 70s and 80s (Scotland v England only):

Sunday 16 April 1972
At Saracen Park, Glasgow. Att 3,000
Scotland 2 (Prentice, Nelson)
England [Birmingham County FA] 2 (McLean, Butler)
HT: ???
Scotland: Robertson (Whitburn); Ross (Carluke Rovers), Lapsley (Linlithgow), Crooks (Kello Rovers), Corrigan (Whitburn), Aitchison (Arniston Rangers), Christie (East Kilbride Thistle), Cochrane (Kello Rovers), Meechan (East Kilbride Thistle), Nelson (Cambuslang Rangers), Prentice (Newtongrange Star)
Sub: ???
Birmingham: Williams (Highgate United); B Collard (West Bromwich Albion), Moore (Oldbury), Punsheon (Alvechurch), Inchmore (Oldbury), Palmer (Alvechurch), Jones (Oldbury), D Butler (West Bromwich Albion), Bennett (Lye), Allner (Alvechurch), H McLean (West Bromwich Albion)
Sub: Deakin (Bedworth United) for Palmer 75m

Sunday 8 April 1973
At Manor Park, Nuneaton
England [Birmingham County FA] 1 (Holmes)
Scotland 5 (Pettigrew 2, Kerr, Steel, McCallum)
HT: 1-1

1974
At Warout Stadium, Glenrothes
Scotland 4
England [Birmingham County FA] 1

Friday 18 April 1975
At Fellows Park, Walsall
England [Birmingham County FA] 1
Scotland 1

1976
At Guys Meadow, Cumbernauld
Scotland 3
England [Birmingham County FA] 0

1980
At Bo’ness
Scotland 0
England [Northern League] 1

1981
At Blyth
England [Northern League] 1
Scotland 1

Friday 28 May 1982
At Newlandsfield Park, Pollok
Scotland 2
England [Northern League] 2

Saturday 7 May 1983
At Millfield Ground, Crook
England [Northern League] 0
Scotland 1
soccerhistory
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:33 am

Re: Scottish Junior Internationals 1937 and 1938

Postby gogsy1968 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:08 pm

Wales v Scotland at Bangor 10th April 1937

Mauchland (Lochee Harp)
Stewart (Dunipace)
Irvine (Glenafton)
Robertson (St Johnstone YMCA)
Birse (Broughty Ex Servicemans)
Little (Blantyre Vics)
McLean (Royal Albert)
Paterson (Hall Russell's)
Finnigan (Bo'ness Cadora)
Huskie (Musselburgh Athletic)
Wardlaw (Thornton Hibs)

And one for honestman

Scotland v England 7th April 1974 at Glenrothes

Morrison (Larkhall Thistle)
Murdoch (Bailleston)
Docherty (Benburb)
Bashford (Irvine Meadow X1)
Mackenzie (Glenrothes)
McLeod (Bonnnyrigg Rose)
Cunningham (Glenrothes)
Hay (Whitburn)
Hislop (Tranent)
Wallace(Yoker)
Clark(e) (Saltcoats Vics)

Subs Clougherty (Shettleston)
Anderson (Dunipace)
Smith (Lewis United)

Scorers Clark(e), Hislop, Wallace, Hay pen


Unfortunately I haven't any notice of ht score or if any subs were used, the above was taken from the Glenrothes Gazette, the match report might have additional details including the opposition scorer, I jst didn't take a note of them at the time.
gogsy1968
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 3:30 pm

Re: Scottish Junior Internationals 1937 and 1938

Postby gogsy1968 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:50 pm

Wales 2v 3Scotland 23rd March 1985 at Caernarvon

Hendrie (Shotts)
Dunlevie (Boness)
Young (Auchinleck Talbot)
Blackadder (Glenrothes)
Auld (Pollok)
Clark (Linlithgow Rose)
Shields (Bo'ness)
Jamieson (Pollok)
Sinnett (Bo'ness)
Dick (Cumnock)
Mitchell (Shotts)

Subs??
Scorers Dick, MItchell, Jamieson
Team taken from the Scotland v Wales programme 11th Oct 1986


4th October 1986 Scotland 2-0 Eire at Thomson Park Lochee
Scorers Faulds 75 minutes Docherty 87 minutes

Clark(Downfield)
Dunlevie (Bo'ness)
Young (Auchinleck Talbot)
Strachan(Sunnybank)
McDicken(Auchinleck Talbot)
Strickland(Stoneyburn)
Gardiner(Arthurlie)
Malone(Arbroth Vics)
Faulds (Glenafton)
McLeod (Bonnyrigg Rose)
McKay(Lochee Harp)

Subs used
Docherty(Whitburn) replaced Gardiner
Paterson(Glenrothes) replaced Malone
Dewar (Forfar West End) replaced McLeod
Subs unused
Hendrie (Shotts)
Allan (Shotts)
Details taken from the Scotland v Wales programme 11th Oct 1986


)
gogsy1968
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 3:30 pm

Re: Scottish Junior Internationals 1937 and 1938

Postby gogsy1968 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:00 pm

soccerhistory wrote:This is as far as I've got with some very intermittent research on the 70s and 80s (Scotland v England only):

Sunday 16 April 1972
At Saracen Park, Glasgow. Att 3,000
Scotland 2 (Prentice, Nelson)
England [Birmingham County FA] 2 (McLean, Butler)
HT: ???
Scotland: Robertson (Whitburn); Ross (Carluke Rovers), Lapsley (Linlithgow), Crooks (Kello Rovers), Corrigan (Whitburn), Aitchison (Arniston Rangers), Christie (East Kilbride Thistle), Cochrane (Kello Rovers), Meechan (East Kilbride Thistle), Nelson (Cambuslang Rangers), Prentice (Newtongrange Star)
Sub: ???
Birmingham: Williams (Highgate United); B Collard (West Bromwich Albion), Moore (Oldbury), Punsheon (Alvechurch), Inchmore (Oldbury), Palmer (Alvechurch), Jones (Oldbury), D Butler (West Bromwich Albion), Bennett (Lye), Allner (Alvechurch), H McLean (West Bromwich Albion)
Sub: Deakin (Bedworth United) for Palmer 75m

Sunday 8 April 1973
At Manor Park, Nuneaton
England [Birmingham County FA] 1 (Holmes)
Scotland 5 (Pettigrew 2, Kerr, Steel, McCallum)
HT: 1-1

1974
At Warout Stadium, Glenrothes
Scotland 4
England [Birmingham County FA] 1

Friday 18 April 1975
At Fellows Park, Walsall
England [Birmingham County FA] 1
Scotland 1

1976
At Guys Meadow, Cumbernauld
Scotland 3
England [Birmingham County FA] 0

1980
At Bo’ness
Scotland 0
England [Northern League] 1

1981
At Blyth
England [Northern League] 1
Scotland 1

Friday 28 May 1982
At Newlandsfield Park, Pollok
Scotland 2
England [Northern League] 2

Saturday 7 May 1983
At Millfield Ground, Crook
England [Northern League] 0
Scotland 1


"England" squad details in the programme for the 1974 game were as follows
G Williams(Sutton Town), J Beckman(Lyeton), G Brown(Tamworth), W Tetley(Highgate Utd), D Bryan(Highgate Utd), R Tinkler (Birmingham City Police), D Clements (Alvechurch), G Smith(Highgate Utd), D Ellis (Birmingham City Police), W Bennet (Lyeton), K Dams(Lyeton)R Sideway(Lyeton) C Ward(Alvechurch), K Deehan(Alvechurch)and K Lynne (Alvechurch)
,
The 1980 game was played on Friday 23rd May . Hills scored the only goal in the 53rd minute. The programme for the corresponding fixture in 1982 gives an attendance for this game as 3,300.Squad details were as follows
Scotland
Hunt(Bailleston), Kilpatrick (Benburb), Freedman(Cambuslang Rangers), Chalmers(Lesmahagow), Stewart(Boness), Ure(Linlithgow Rose), Balmer (Beith), Reynolds (Cumnock), Graham (Rutherglen Glencairn), Turnbull(Banks of Dee), Fulton(Pollok), Gray(Auchinleck Talbot), McClaymont(Rutherglen Glencairn, Farrell (Lesmahagow), McKim(Benburb) and McDowal (Beith)
England
Gormley(South Bank), Brunton(Crook), Waterson, Walker, Dixon (all Blyth Spartans), Hills (bishop Auckland), Curry(Spennymoor United), Hindson (Consett), Walker (Horden CW), Pearson (Ferryhill Ath), Gill (West Auckland), Newton (Crook), Reilly(Spennymoor), Hogan (Horden CW), Hart(Spennymoor) and Scrimshaw(North Shields)

1981 game was played on 2nd May. Scorers were Newton for Northern League and Baikie for Scotland. Attendance was 400
Squad details according to the match programme were as follows

Northern League
Clarke(Blyth Spartans), Graham(North Shields), Morgan(Evenwood Town), Curry(Spennymoor utd), Hills(Bishop Auckland), Dixon(Blyth Spartans), Donaghy(Consett), Reilly(Spennymoor utd), Foster, Newton (both Bishop Auckland), Hather (Horden Colliery), Mutrie(Ashington), Turner90Horden Colliery), Gormley (South Bank).
Scotland
Lowrie (Blantyre Vics), Jackson (Yoker Ath), Boyce(Yoker Ath), Fredman (Cambuslang Rangers), Ure(Linlithgow Rose), Campbell (Banks of Dee), Adamson (Coltness utd), Ferguson(Craigmark Bruntonians), Dunlop(Craigmark Bruntonians), Fulton(Pollok), Kinnear(Leven), McGeogh(Forth Wanderers), Chalmers(Lesmahagow), Goodhall (Arbraoth Vics) Baikie (Lochee United)

Squads for the game at Pollok in 1982
Scotland
Crombie(POllok), Lowrie(Bailleston), Lannon(Auchinleck Tabot), McKenzie(Glenrothes), McManus(Lochee Harp), Coghill(Blantyre Vics), Moore(Kirkintilloch Rob Roy), Ross (Bailleston), Myles (Bonnyrig Rose), Donaldson(Bailleston), Reynolds (Cumnock), Gray(Cambuslang Rangers)Shields(Bo'ness United), Goudie (Auchinleck Talbot, Kennedy(Blantyre Vics) and Graham( Yoker Ath).

Northern league
Owers(Bishop Auckland), Ross (Consett)Lynch(South Bank), Hills, Nattress(both Bishop Auckland), Dixon (Durham), Morgan (Evenwood),
Dixon(Blyth Spartans), Granycombe, Scaife (both South Bank), Curry (Spennymooor), Grady(Ferryhill), Newton(Bisop Auckland), Sills (Whitby), Blair (Tow Law) and Hart (Blyth Spartans)
gogsy1968
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 3:30 pm

Re: Scottish Junior Internationals 1937 and 1938

Postby FlowGently » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:17 pm

honestman wrote:Scotland vIreland 6th Mar 1937, att. 8,000
White(Petershill)
Stewart(Dunipace)
Irvine(Glenafton Athletic)
Robertson(St. Johnstone YMCA)
Birse(Broughty Ex-service)
Hill(Tranent) capt
McIntyre(Portobello Renton)
Paterson(Hall Russell's)
Finnigan(Bo'ness Cadora)
Huskie(Musselburgh Athletic)
Keane(Kirkintilloch Rob Roy)
(scorers - Paterson, Finnigan, Huskie)

Scotland v England 24th April 1937
Mauchland(Lochee Harp)
Stewart(Dunipace)
Irvine)Glenafton Athletic)
Whiteford(Wishaw)
Clark(Portobello Renton)
Little(Blantyre Victoria)
McLean(Royal Albert)
Anderson(Arturlie)
Donoghue(Tranent)
Alston(Arthurlie)
Johnstone(Renfrew Juniors)

Scotland v Wales 26th February 1938, att. 10,000
McAffrey(Clydebank Juniors)
Martin(Yoker Athletic)
Stewart(Blantyre Celtic)
Porteous(Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic)
Watt(Wishaw) capt.
Brown(Cambuslang Rangers)
McLean(Morton Juniors)
McLean(Dalkeith Thistle)
McLintock(Dunipace)
Wilson(Dundee Violet)
Orr(Morton Juniors)
(scorer - Wilson)

Ireland v Scotland 19th Mar 1938, att. 8,000
Matthews(Dalkeith Thistle)
Stewart(Cambuslang Rangers)
Irvine(Glenafton Athletic) capt.
Clotworthy(Kilwinning Rangers)
Whiteford(Rutherglen Glencairn)
Whyte(Lochgelly Albert)
Gould(Neilston Victoria)
Hill(Stobswell)
Sim(Arthurlie)
Beston(Renfrew Juniors)
Hughes(Petershill)
(scorers - Gould, Sim, Hughes)


Brilliant stuff HonestMan - my interest is in Glenafton Athletic caps and in this case left-back Lyle Irvine. There is a photo of him in the team that faced England at Tynecastle on 16/04/38 in 'The Juniors 100 Years'. Do you know if he was captain that day. According to that book he went on to have 5 caps - any idea on the 5th?

Thanks again,
FlowGently
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:41 pm

Re: Scottish Junior Internationals 1937 and 1938

Postby FlowGently » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:19 pm

[quote="gogsy1968"]Wales v Scotland at Bangor 10th April 1937

Mauchland (Lochee Harp)
Stewart (Dunipace)
Irvine (Glenafton)
Robertson (St Johnstone YMCA)
Birse (Broughty Ex Servicemans)
Little (Blantyre Vics)
McLean (Royal Albert)
Paterson (Hall Russell's)
Finnigan (Bo'ness Cadora)
Huskie (Musselburgh Athletic)
Wardlaw (Thornton Hibs)

Thanks Gogsy
FlowGently
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:41 pm

Re: Scottish Junior Internationals 1937 and 1938

Postby RobertB » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:00 pm

Just been writing up a load of notes on Arthurlie and found something of interest. When Arthurlie played Bridgton Waverly on April 10 1937 they were without there captain Albert Bingham who had traveled with the Scotland side to Wales for the international on the same day as reserve. One of the selected players however seemingly signed senior before the game and being ineligible to play Bingham took his place. I now have him with 5 caps having previously won four with Irvine Meadow XI.

Source is the Barrhead News.
RobertB
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Scottish Junior Internationals 1937 and 1938

Postby bluedragon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:05 pm

Interesting on three counts.

Records

The records do not show Bingham playing in the game but that has probably come from the selected XI. Does your newspaper report give the name of the player Bingham replaced so we can update the record?

Albert Bingham

Bert Bingham only won two Junior Caps while at Irvine Meadow XI – 1934 v England & Wales. However, he played three matches for the Western League select and one game for the West of Scotland JFA select. As you have shown the newspapers did not always get it right so if you have other details of games he played in I would be interested to hear to compare notes.

Similar story

I came across a similar story to the player Bert Bingham replaced. Harold Corrance played in the Junior International against England in 1925. In the week before the game he was being chased by both Partick Thistle and Cowdenbeath to sign professional forms. Jimmy Richardson, the Cowdenbeath manager, had called at Harold’s home on the Thursday lunchtime before the Junior International in an attempt to sign him for the Fife club. Corrance refused the offer and signed for Partick Thistle that evening. However, the Cowdenbeath manager was on the station platform when the Junior Scotland party set off for Birmingham and stayed at the same hotel as the party. At 07:15 on the morning of the match Richardson got a hotel maid to call Corrance to his room and then made another attempt to sign him. Fearing that revealing that he had already signed for a Senior club would lead to him being disqualified and dropped from that afternoon’s match, he kept quiet and signed forms for Cowdenbeath there and then. He played in the game but when it all came out he was banned by the Scottish League from 15 August to 31 December 1925.
bluedragon
 
Posts: 653
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:42 pm

Re: Scottish Junior Internationals 1937 and 1938

Postby sureitsza » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:35 pm

The Dundee Courier on 12 April 1937 has Bingham in the team line-up. (Don't have a sub at the moment to check full article)
I have him replacing Robertson of St Johnstone YMCA
The is a Bingham of Pollok winning a cap v Wales in 1925.
sureitsza
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: Scottish Junior Internationals 1937 and 1938

Postby bluedragon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:28 pm

sureitsza wrote:The Dundee Courier on 12 April 1937 has Bingham in the team line-up. (Don't have a sub at the moment to check full article)
I have him replacing Robertson of St Johnstone YMCA
The is a Bingham of Pollok winning a cap v Wales in 1925.



Many thanks for that. I looked it up but the report does not mention the late change and simply lists Bingham in the line-up. I have had a further look at other 'papers and found that the player he replaced was Hugh Robertson who signed for Wrexham (the Junior International was played in Bangor just along the North Wales coast!) He made his Wrexham debut the next Saturday (17 April 1937) against Mansfield. He played 5 games in the following season before returning to Scotland to play for St Johnstone.
bluedragon
 
Posts: 653
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:42 pm

Re: Scottish Junior Internationals 1937 and 1938

Postby BMCCOLL » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:46 pm

Litster has a Robertson being with Forfar from 1937-38, no other details though apart from being noted as a RB, the Robertson we have is a RH, close enough??? In any case, Robertson is omitted from the Courier's line-up so we can take it that Bingham did indeed replace Robertson from the original selection.
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.uk
BMCCOLL
 
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:48 pm

Next

Return to SFAQS

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests