Extra time in Scottish Cup ties

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Cinneide

Extra time in Scottish Cup ties

Post by Cinneide » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:11 am

When did extra time start being played after a drawn 90 minutes in Scottish Cup ties?
[url=http://www.PTEarlyYears.net/]Partick Thistle - The Early Years - A Club History Online[/url]

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Extra time in Scottish Cup ties

Post by Scottish » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:55 pm

The normal practice in the early days if a tie was still level after a replay was to admit both clubs to the next stage of the competition. The earliest replay that went to extra time I can find is Thornliebank and Third Lanark in the quarter-finals in 1879-80 and it appears that second and subsequent replays then became the norm. Even then it appears that some replays level after 90 minutes went to a second replay while others played extra time. And the extra time wasn't necessarily 30 minutes either.

Cinneide

Post by Cinneide » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:13 pm

scottish wrote:The normal practice in the early days if a tie was still level after a replay was to admit both clubs to the next stage of the competition. The earliest replay that went to extra time I can find is Thornliebank and Third Lanark in the quarter-finals in 1879-80 and it appears that second and subsequent replays then became the norm. Even then it appears that some replays level after 90 minutes went to a second replay while others played extra time. And the extra time wasn't necessarily 30 minutes either.
Thanks David. That bears out what I thought.

I assumed that there would be a rule which governed when extra time was played, and when it wasn't, but there doesn't appear to be, at least up till the early 1920s. I've noticed ties in the same tournament, some of which extra times was played in, and others where a 2nd replay was played, in the same year.

Perhaps there was an agreement made between the competing clubs?
[url=http://www.PTEarlyYears.net/]Partick Thistle - The Early Years - A Club History Online[/url]

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:55 pm

This is just "postulation" - but could a reason for the inconsistency be that, depending on conditions, the light may not have been sufficient for 30mins more...?

Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:06 am

I was under the impression that in the early days the match wasnt set to 45 minutes each way as some reports ive read state they played two halfs one of 40 the other of say 30 minutes for example? So I wouldnt think there would be set guidelines for extra time.

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:36 am

Insertnamehere wrote:I was under the impression that in the earoly days the match wasnt set to 45 minutes each way as some reports ive read state they played two halfs one of 40 the other of say 30 minutes for example?
Don't know about the Scottish Cup, but Falkirk certainly played local cup ties of 30 minutes each way in the 1880s & 1890s, I had always presumed that the local competitions roughly played to SFA rules [a tweak here and there excepted]

The earliest record of a match going to extra time in the Stirlingshire Cup was the Cup Final 2nd Replay on Saturday 18th April 1885 between Camelon and Campsie [again I had always presumed that the Stirlingshire FA had followed the lead of the SFA, but I may be very mistaken]

laughingravy

Post by laughingravy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:10 am

Another factor in deciding if extra time was played in cup-ties, was the travel arrangements for the away team returning home. Specifically train timetables. There are several instances of teams refusing to play an apparently previously agreed period of extra time because they would miss their train. Added difficulties arose because of the problems of starting the match on time, large crowds and trains being late.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:36 am

A bit off-topic I know, but a former boss of mine had a share in a claim to fame, when a Glasgow Works League cup final in which he played made it onto midweek Scotsport.

He played for the legendary AC Milanda and their cup final had to be played to a finish, Two 15-minute periods of extra time had failed to sparate the teams, no penalty shoot outs back then, so it was play-on, except, four of the AC Milanda team were due to start on the night shift at the bakery, so the game had to be abandoned to let them get to their work.

I can just hear Arthur Montford: "Sensation in the Glasgow Works League....."
Snuff

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:28 pm

In The Herald dated 15 May 1907, page 12, near the bottom of column 7, there is details about a proposed rule change by "The Clyde Club" for Scottish Cup ties, in that after the second match extra time must be played, as it would in any subsequent replays.

Could this be the start of "official" extra time, or is it simply clarifying when extra time would be played ie only after the second match?

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:04 pm

I'm off on a slight tangent here, but when did INJURY TIME start to be added at the end of a game? Presumably it wasn't be played in the early days as the visitors invariably had to rush off after 90 mins to catch their train!
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.nf