Is there a Celtic history book

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
bobby s

Is there a Celtic history book

Post by bobby s » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:48 pm

With complete team line ups for competitive games back to 1888? I'm looking into the possibility of an iceltic site.
It's the Hope I can't stand

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Is there a Celtic history book

Post by Scottish » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:13 am

While there are loads of Celtic history books the only one that fits the bill that comes to mind is Paul Lunney's 'Complete Record' (Breedon )which was published in 1992. I remember thinking at the time that it was too expensive - £20 or so - and I couldn't justify buying it then a few years later seeing that second hand copies were going for several hundred quid - and this was in the days before ebay. There has never been a second edition. Expect to pay a three figures sum unless you can get it on inter-library loan. I still haven't got a copy.

Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:17 am

Ive got one somewhere at home that lists all League and cup line ups from 1888 to the mid 1990's but I cant recall who wrote it etc, got it in a second hand shop in Glasgow for two quid.

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:47 am

Hamlyn illustrated history of Celtic 1888=1998 by Graham McColl also has line-ups of all league and cup matches. It's probably cheaper/ easier to get.

You will probably need a Celtic who's who as well. I can recommend An Alphabet of the Celts by Eugene MacBride Martin o' Connor George Sheridan (published in 1994)

nightfire

Post by nightfire » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:14 pm

There was detailed data of all the matches played by Celtic on the old version of the Official Website.

The website has been re-vamped and it has been mentioned that in due course the results data will be available on that new website. When completed, this will become the most comprehensive look at Celtic results as it was to include all Major & Minor competitive games as well as Friendly & Tour matches. Only Paul Lunney's book comes close to that.

In the meantime, the Celtic Wiki as provide by Kerrydale Street is a fantastic source of any Celtic related data.

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:07 am

Thanks for all the replies - that clarifies things. I've ordered a copy of the book, to assess what data input will be required.

Cinneide

Post by Cinneide » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:22 am

bobby s wrote:With complete team line ups for competitive games back to 1888? I'm looking into the possibility of an iceltic site.
What is an iceltic site?
[url=http://www.PTEarlyYears.net/]Partick Thistle - The Early Years - A Club History Online[/url]

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:55 am

Cinneide wrote:
bobby s wrote:With complete team line ups for competitive games back to 1888? I'm looking into the possibility of an iceltic site.
What is an iceltic site?
A Celtic version of the www.ihibs.co.uk website.

Cinneide

Post by Cinneide » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:12 am

Ah right. Gotcha.

Incidentally, there's an iPhone app called iCeltic - http://iceltic.net/
[url=http://www.PTEarlyYears.net/]Partick Thistle - The Early Years - A Club History Online[/url]