The Catholic Football Association

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Bernie

The Catholic Football Association

Post by Bernie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi first post and looking for some help :oops: Been doing some research into early Scottish teams pre 1900. While doing this came accross references to "The Catholic Football Association", clubs mentioned were Greenock Emerald, Hibs & Motherwell?? Tried google and some newspaper archives but no luck. Anyone point me in the right direction? Been on Celtic sight they suggested here. Ta.

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: The Catholic Football Association

Post by Scottish » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:14 pm

Bernie wrote: Been on Celtic sight they suggested here. Ta.
Aye, they send us all the hard ones. I couldn't really say much about this other than to say there were various religious football associations around in the 19th century (quite a few clubs owe their foundations to churches). It was seen as a good way of getting young men healthy and keeping them out of the boozers (and the entire history of Scottish football has shown just how successful THAT has been).

The only other thing I'd add is that the Motherwell mentioned is highly unlikely to have been Motherwell FC. There was a Motherwell Shamrock in existence in the late 19th century and they might be a better bet.

Bernie

Post by Bernie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:44 pm

You are probably right about Motherwell. I have no interest in this for religious reasons, just find it interesting. Will keep looking.

nightfire

Post by nightfire » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:02 pm

Is it possible that this was the forerunner to the Catholic Boys Guild football leagues?

This was at amateur level and usually for Under 16s/Under 18s