Baggie Ramage

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Gordon Thorburn

Baggie Ramage

Post by Gordon Thorburn » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:50 pm

Greetings all. I am writing a book about the 2nd Battalion Black Watch as Chindits in Burma 1944. One of the men who died out there (possibly) was a Scottish footballer called Ramage, very tall, nickname Baggy. He was remembered by a soldier I interviewed as having played for Scotland schoolboys and maybe at a higher level. Memories are not always reliable and he doesn't appear on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission list of fatalities, but I'm hoping someone may know something about him. Perhaps he played for a club too.

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Baggie Ramage

Post by Scottish » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:36 am

Hi there and welcome to the forum. According to Steve Emms' book of pre-war players there are two that might fit the bill. John Ramage dob 4/10/1899, born Lasswade and played for Hearts, Coventry City and Luton Town at senior level and Bonnyrigg Rose, Ross County and Chirnside United at junior and non-league. However he'd be in his mid-forties by 1944.

Andrew Ramage was a bit younger, born Canongate 27/2/1904, played for Dunfermline, Dundee and South Shields at senior level and Musselburgh Bruntonians and Penicuik Athletic at junior and non-league.

There was a third Ramage, first name and place and dob unknown but he played for Rangers and Cowdenbeath between 1909-11 which suggests a dob of at least 1890 or thereabouts and would put him well into his fifties by 1944.

One other possibility is Peter Ramage, born Bonnyrigg 26/3/1908 (middle initials MF), possibly a brother of John. He also played for Coventry City as well as Derby County and Chesterfield. He was with Tranent Juniors and Newtongrange Star before moving south and played for Chelmsford City, Heanor Town and Alfreton Town after his league days were over. However, according to Michael Joyce's Football League Players' Records, this Ramaged died in 1982.

Gordon Thorburn

Post by Gordon Thorburn » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:46 pm

Many thanks for all that information. I think the conclusion has to be that it was another Ramage, schoolboy player only, and he survived his jungle sickness. Maybe he played again after the war.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:11 am

Gordon Thorburn wrote: Maybe he played again after the war.
All post-war players called Ramage who played league football in either England or Scotland aren't old enough to have served in WW2