Tommy Walker's Touring XI 1945-46?

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Sat31March1928

Tommy Walker's Touring XI 1945-46?

Post by Sat31March1928 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:30 pm

I received this e-mail. I've found a mention of TW coming back from India in the Scotsman. Can anyone on here help?

Can anyone supply me with information about Tommy Walker's Touring Xi, who apparently toured India, Singapore, etc, during 1945-46?
I think it was an Army unit, comprising various senior players: my late father, Tommy Paterson, was, I think, the only junior player - Rutherglen Glencairn was his team.
Thank you.

peter Paterson.
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:14 pm

I've checked old annuals and while there are results for a number of British sides playing overseas in 1945-46 can't find anything about this tour.

soccerhistory

Post by soccerhistory » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:54 am

I have seen several references to Tommy Walker's Touring XI while carrying out general research on WW2 football. There were a number of teams of this nature which were sent out, principally to entertain the troops in the closing stages of WW2/early days of peacetime. There may well be some references in the Daily Record of this era, not sure what access is like to SFA records, but they may well have had a hand in organising the tour. I have seen the Army FA records for WW2 and can't recall any references to this team. I don't think there are any articles published on this subject so you may have to research it yourself.

soccerhistory

Post by soccerhistory » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:20 pm

Some additional information on Tommy Walker's team. They were a group of professionals drawn from the British Armed Forces and toured India in the early part of 1945 (1944-45 season). They played numerous fixtures, mostly against other services teams, local Indian sides and amongst themselves (usually billed as 'England v Scotland'). They seem to have played throughout India, staying in a particular area for a week or two and playing matches almost every day, which presumably explains the large squad.

londonjambo

Re: Tommy Walker's Touring XI 1945-46?

Post by londonjambo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:58 pm

Can I bring this back to the top ?? Has anyone done any more on this in the last 5 years !!

If not, does anyone have any good ideas where I might start in terms of research. Obtained a couple of bits of memorabilia and was looking to do a little more research into the XI

All suggestions gratefully received

Thanks

GC

sureitsza

Post by sureitsza » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:13 pm

try going through this newspaper. Some info on page 5 at the link

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=vL ... g+xi&hl=en

soccerhistory

Post by soccerhistory » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:10 pm

I covered this in an article that appeared in issue 15 of Soccer History Magazine back in 2007. There were at least 5 separate tours by British forces squads between Sep 1944 and April 1946. Two of these toured at the same time, Sept to Dec 1945, and were distinguished by the titles 'Denis Compton's XI' and 'Tommy Walker's XI'. Walker was also a key player on the squad that toured between Feb and April 1945. Tommy Walker's XI played 42 games in 108 days, travelling some 10,000 miles during this time. They criss-crossed the Indian Sub Continent playing in locations from Waziristan in the North West to Ceylon in the South. Compton's squad also visited Burma and the two teams met each other in Madras with Compton's XI winning 3-1. Earlier in the war Walker had led Scottish Command touring teams to Orkney and the Shetlands when schedules were also very heavy although lasting no more than around 10 days.

colin wright

Post by colin wright » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:44 pm

With regards to the subject of the Tommy Walker touring team my grandad served in India
from 1941-1946 we have a fuu photograph with players and there clubs that they played for.My grandad can also
give you some information on some of the backgrounds of the players that played in the team.
Colin Wright

FERRY13

Post by FERRY13 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:18 pm

I have recently got my hands on a programme for the MEERUT SELECT v TOMMY WALKER'S XI dated 25 November 1945. The TW XI is named as:
Delaney (Arsenal), John (Swansea & Wales), Whatley (Tottenham & Wales), Robinson (Manchester Utd), Lowe (Hamilton Accies), Powell (QPR & Wales), McEwan (QPR), Walker (Hearts & Scotland), Rothwell (Southport), Curtis (Arsenal) & Shanks (RAF).
The team have signed the programme together with Fairhust (Newcastle & England), Wardrop (Rosewell Rosedale - who I believe are now Whitehill Welfare), Corbett (Celtic), Ketty (Portadown), Meaney (Celtic) & John ??? of Manchester Utd.

That's all the info I have but hope it helps.

If someone can help me with info on Meaney of Celtic or John M??? of Man Utd I would be most grateful

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:53 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There were several Johns playing for Man U around this time but only one John M - Johnny Morris. Others were John Aston Sr, Johnny Carey, Jack Crompton, Johnny Hanlon, Jack Rowley & Jack Warner.

soccerhistory

Post by soccerhistory » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:25 pm

Touring squad details below:

TOMMY WALKER’S XI (Sept-Dec 1945)
Goalkeepers: Roy John (Swansea Town); Roy Henderson (Queen of the South);
Full Backs: Bill Whatley (Tottenham Hotspur); Ron Ranson (Clapton Orient); Roy Milne (Celtic); Louis Delaney* (Arsenal);
Half Backs: Willie Corbett (Celtic); Collins (Crystal Palace); Ivor Powell (Queen’s Park Rangers); Eric Lancelotte (Charlton Athletic); J Lowe (Hamilton Academical); J Wardrop* (Army); John Harvey* (Kilmarnock); Robinson* (Manchester United);
Forwards: Billy McEwen (Queen’s Park Rangers); Tommy Walker (Heart of Midlothian); J Kelly (Portadown); George Curtis (Arsenal); J Meaney (Celtic); Harry McShane (Blackburn Rovers); Dave Fairhurst (Newcastle United); Pugh (Cardiff City); Bobby Campbell (Falkirk); Jack Rothwell* (Southport); Johnny Morris* (Manchester United); Shanks* (RAF);

* Player added to party during the tour

FERRY13

Post by FERRY13 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks for your help. The Man Utd autograph does look like Morris.
Cheers