Athletics at Football games

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
banni52

Athletics at Football games

Post by banni52 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:43 pm

i am not sure where this should sit, I listened to a radio programme today that spoke of athletic competitions, or races before Scottish Football games. Has there been a record kept or book published on the competitions etc. I recall seeing running at Rangers back in the 60's but wasn't too aware of other venues etc. I would appreciate any info on such races.
thank you

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Athletics at Football games

Post by Scottish » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:09 pm

Hi there and welcome to the forum. I'm not aware of any specific record book as such. The best source for information is probably contemporary newspapers. See the Online Sources thread for more details. Certainly in the 19th and early 20th century athletics competitions took place at grounds the week before the start of the season - a sort of early 'Open Day.' Continuing into the 1960s would be rare though. I can't imagine many clubs still held such events by then.

Of course today the only athletics event that can be seen at a football game is Diving.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:27 pm

scottish wrote:Of course today the only athletics event that can be seen at a football game is Diving.
I have seen references to hammer throwing during matches.
Fraser

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:38 pm

Brockville Park [and I m sure other grounds] originally had a cinder track round it just for the purpose of athletics. They definitely held meets pre-season, both for the club itself and for other organisations [such as benifits for Brass Bands etc] there were also mid-week events using the track, including pony & trap races occasionally held during the season. But other than Cup Finals I have never read of events held before football matches.

John Meffen

RobertB

Post by RobertB » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:15 pm

Im sure I read that Celtic used to hold an annual athletics day at Celtic Park, I know for sure Arthurlie used to have events as well that included handicapped sprints, cycle racing etc.........

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:52 am

Aside from the annual Glasgow Police and Rangers Sports at Ibrox - which used to attract some of the biggest names in athletics at the time, there was the pre-match entertainment at Hampden before the Scotland v England game. This used to involve athletics races and "Deil tak the hindmost" cycling events. The other week, at a rugby match in Glasgow, I had to intercede on behalf of a former top Scottish athlete, who couldn't get another spectator to believe that, back in 1960, he had run in front of over 130,000 fans at Hampden. I was able to assure the doubter that our friend not only had run - he had beaten the (English) then world record holder in his event.

Of course the thing about the sports days at Ibrox was that most of the crowd had turned up to see the five-a-side event, particularly if it came down to a Rangers v Celtic final. On which point, I seem to recall the young Bertie Auld being sent off during the five-a-sides at one of the last Rangers Sports; this was in his first spell at Celtic, prior to his transfer to Birmingham, I think.
Snuff