Penman Cup

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
HibeeJibee

Penman Cup

Post by HibeeJibee » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:59 pm

I've recently been taking some interest in the Penman Cup. I say taking an interest - one can't really do that much more, so shambolic does the tournament appear to have been in the post-war years at least.

Anywhere, there's very little out there about it. A good synopsis on Scottish Football Historical Archive, though concentrating mainly on the early years of the tourmament; and a few snippets in 5 editions of Scottish Football Historian (although I don't have a copy of issue 16 where it features on p23... anyone care to say if it's a big piece or a sentence?).

One point of note is that the first competitive Scottish match under floodlight was apparently a Penman Cup tie on 26th January 1956 when Hibs beat Falkirk 2-1 at Easter Road.

What sort of status did the tournament hold in the post-war years? I've a copy of the Hearts Programme Guide, and its tournament synopsis basically concludes it "bridged" for want of a better word first-team and reserve. But on some occasions (Semi-Finals and Finals particularly - perhaps unsurprisingly!!), teams seem to have fielded strong sides.

Was it rather like the English League Cup today... smaller sides played their strongest team, big sides played fringe men and brought out the big guns if they made a Final?

It was so haphazardly organised that it's rather amazing it soldiered on for almost 2 decades before dissolution. Equally, though, there appears to have been some rhyme-n-reason at times, with several ties often going ahead on the same day (implying some guiding co-ordination).

Anyone know much else about its later years? Is it a tournament, for want of a better phrase, "worthy of research"?

Rob R

Re: Penman Cup

Post by Rob R » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:33 am

If you think the Penman Cup is hard to research, you should try the Dewer Shield , the 1953/54 Final 2nd leg was played on the 28/4/1956 . The match report is on the back page of the Evening Times for that date. Who gets to take the trophy home?

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Penman Cup

Post by Scottish » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:28 am

http://www.scottishleague.net/archive/archive149.htm

http://www.scottishleague.net/archive/archive145.htm

These pages show strong Hearts and St Johnstone line-ups against 'weaker' opponents in Stenhousemuir and Keith. I suspect the idea they played stronger teams if they reached the final is right. Same seems to be true of Raith Rovers, having had a quick glance at line-ups in John Litster's history.