Scottish Robins

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
wormbo

Scottish Robins

Post by wormbo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:37 pm

Hello

I'm researching Cheltenham Town FC. During the 1950/60's especially we had a regular influx of players coming from North of the Border mainly under the managerial reign of a Scottish manager by the name of Arch Anderson.

I'm hoping that someone on here might be help me or at least point me in the right direction to find information on the following people.

Arch Anderson - (managed at Ayr Utd and Arbroath) looking for his date/place of birth and death (assuming he is no longer with us), playing career and managerial career other than Ayr and Arbroath.
William Raeside - seems to have had a varied coaching career from Scotland to Norway, Mexico, Argentina and Spain. Looking for any information on him such as dates/place of birth and death any playing career and who he actually managed.
Alex Anderson - born 15/11/1921 died 1999?. Career so far of East Craigie, St. Johnstone, Forfar Athletic, Southampton, Exeter City, Dundee United, Cheltenham but then disappears anyone know where he went.
Nat Baird - Came to Cheltenham in the mid 1950's. I have no information on his dates/place of brith or death or his playing career.
James Black - Born in Motherwell 1906. No other information on him
William Brae - Born in Neilston 1902. Came to Cheltenham from Swindon Town no other information.
Joe Buick - Born in Broughty Ferry - Have his career as Broughty Athletic, Lincoln City, Cheltenham have no further information on him.
Jimmy Burns - No information on him apart from he seems to have been on the books at Celtic before coming south to Kidderminster Harriers no further career information.
Frank Carnie - No information apart from he came to Cheltenham in the late 1950's and seems to have settled in the area.
Alex/Alec Carson - Born in Clarkston 1942. No other information on him
Matt Carson - No information
Peter Cleland - Born Glasgow 1932. No other information.
John Corr - Born Glasgow 1946. Seems to have been on the books at Arsenal, Exeter City and Gloucester City no further information
Ronald Crichton - No information
Frank Cruickshank - Born Polmont 1931. Only have information that is on Wiki
Rex Dunlop - Born Dumfries 1927. Was on the books at Rangers in 1950-53
Johnny Farrell - No information. Seems to have settled in the Cheltenham area until his death
John Finlay - Born Glasgow 1925. No other information.
Chris Fletcher - Born Buncrana 1933. Career so far Kilmarnock, Cheltenham, Brentford, Peterborough. No other information
Daniel Fowler - No information
Ian Fraser - Born Glasgow 19??. Career so far Hereford United, Gloucester City, Cheltenham
Jimmy/James Geddes - No information
William Gourlay - Born Stonyburn 19??. Career so far (believed to be complete) Bathgate Thistle, Cowdenbeath, Man City, Cheltenham, Weymouth
Ian Hamilton - No information apart from he was a goalkeeper at Queen of the South
Jimmy Knox - No information
Alex Laird - Born Newmains 1926 died 2004 no other information
Bill Lamont - No information apart from he was a goalkeeper at Albion Rovers and Hamilton
Bill Luke - Born Aberdeen 1932. No other information
Willie McClure Born Shotts 1921 Died ?. No other information
Bobby McCool - No information came from Third Lanark
William 'Peter' McGonagle No Information apart from what is on Wiki
Sam McNab - Born Glasgow 1926. No other information
Tom McNeil - Born Lochgelly 19?? Died 1946 at sea off Rockall
Ross Menzies - No information apart from he was on the books at Rangers and Cardiff City
Daniel Mitchinson - No information apart from he was on the books at Clyde
Bobby/Robert Nisbett - No information
WIlliam/Bill Paterson - Born Kinlochleven 1930. No other information apart from the info on Wiki
Mike Phillips - Born Cumnock 1933. No other information
William/Billy Stewart - No information seems to have been at St Mirren at some point before 1945-46
Gordon Workman - No information came to Cheltenham from Third Lannark
Daniel Young - Born 19??? Died 1992. No other information came to Cheltenham in 1952
John Yuill - Only information is from Wiki

There are likely to be many more who made the move South during the 1950's but as yet I have failed to identify anymore. You may know different.
Not aware of any games involving Cheltenham and Scottish teams
Thanks in advance for any information you can provide
Last edited by wormbo on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gogsy1968

Re: Scottish Robins

Post by gogsy1968 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:36 pm

According to "The Whos Who of Cowdenbeath Players part 1" William Gourlay was 21 when he signed for Man City in February 1953, which narrows his date of birth down a bit.

gogsy1968

Post by gogsy1968 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:02 pm

According to "There was a Happyland" by David Allan

Tom McNeil was playing in the Lochgelly United team in 1924/5 and 1925/6 alongside his brothers John and james. He signed for Kings Park during the 1925/6 season and afterwards went on to play for Rhyl and Liverpool.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:47 pm

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Archie Anderson took over from Bob McGlashan at Arbroath in February 1946. He took the Red Lichties to the semi-finals of the Scottish Cup for the first and so far only time in 1947. Ayr United appointed him as manager in March 1949 but Arbroath held him to his contract until the end of the season. He took Ayr to the League Cup semis in 1950-51 and the final of the St Mungo Quaich (a one-off for B Division sides held to mark the Festival of Britain) in 1951 but was unable to win promotion and left Somerset Park at the end of 1952-53.

He was in charge of Arbroath for 119 first class matches (86 league, 8 Scottish Cup, 18 League Cup, 7 B Division Supplementary Cup). At Ayr he was manager for 162 games (120 league, 8 Scottish Cup, 27 League Cup, 4 St Mungo Quaich, 3 B Division Supplementary Cup).

Chris Fletcher b June 14th 1933 was on Southend's books when he signed as an amateur for Killie in Nov 1955. Made his debut in a 2-0 win away to Celtic which remains the last time Kilmarnock have won at Celtic Park. Made 21 appearances (19 league, 2 League Cup), scoring three goals (all league). Freed in April 1957. After Peterborough he played for both Morton and Berwick Rangers in 1960-61.

John Litster's site has details on how to obtain disks with players information both pre and post-war.

cowdenbeather

Post by cowdenbeather » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:16 am

From Cowdenbeath Programme February 2011

Cowden Conversations
Willie Gourlay (1951-53)

(A product of junior side Bathgate Thistle and a bricklayer in Stoneyburn, Willie was only at Creamery Park for 7 months before Cowden swooped to sign him in October 1951. His mercurial rise continued with some outstanding displays for Cowden attracting the scouts. He won a 2nd Division ‘cap’ whilst with Cowden and in February 1953, aged only 21, he was signed by Manchester city to understudy Bert Trautmann. Later, he became a legend at Cheltenham Town where he played for 8 seasons making 379 appearances. He ended his career with Weymouth. We recently caught up with Bill who still lives in Cheltenham. He only made 27 League appearances for the Miners before he was sold for £2,000 to the Maine Road club).

I come from Stoneyburn which is out Bathgate way. I became a goalkeeper when I was at school after turning up for a practice match. 3 of us wanted to play at centre forward and I drew the short straw and had to go in goal. That was my position ever afterwards. I played in the juveniles with Polbeth and then Bathgate Thistle spotted me. I enjoyed playing junior for Bathgate and there was a good bunch of lads there.

A few scouts watched me playing with Bathgate and Archie Anderson, the Ayr United manager, asked me to play a trial match for Ayr reserves v Queen’s Park at Lesser Hampden. I went along and did quite well. The trainer and directors said you’ll be hearing from us. However, a week went by and I heard nothing. The secretary at Bathgate then contacted me on the next Friday to say Cowdenbeath wanted me to play for them the next day. He told me there’d be a couple of bob in it for me. I looked in the paper to see who Cowdenbeath reserves were playing but couldn’t see anything. My dad though said then that Cowdenbeath didn’t have a reserve team so that I must be playing for the 1st team in the Scottish League. ‘Well I was s******* myself at the thought of that’! Bobby Baxter was the Cowdenbeath manager then and I met a few of the Cowdenbeath lads on the train over from Princes Street Station in Edinburgh. I had a good game and Bobby Baxter signed me after the match. The very next game was up at Arbroath and there was a 100mph gale. We held out in the first half and in the second I only touched the ball about once. We won 8-1 with Rab Quinn scoring 4.

Bobby Baxter was a decent bloke as a manager. The Cowdenbeath team then included Alex Menzies, Bill Durie, Sammy Picken and John Knox. Davie Stewart was the trainer. At one time, I had hurt my back and Davie asked me to come over to Central Park for some treatment. He said he would be a few minutes so I got half stripped and waited for him. Time passed and eventually I went to look for him and found him giving a greyhound a rub on the treatment table. Davie told me the greyhound was a priority!

I was happy at Cowdenbeath and all I knew about other clubs’ interest in me came from reading the paper. It was in the papers that Manchester City were looking for a deputy for the German goalie Bert Trautmann and out of the blue City came in for me. I was a bit reluctant to go but Bobby Baxter suggested it was a good move and that it would be good for me money wise. Thus I was sold to Manchester City.

However, I never really settled down in Manchester. Most of the players were older and married thus there weren’t many players left around after training so you would end up on your own. City were a big 1st Division club of course – Don Revie was there as was Roy Paul the Welsh captain, Irishman Frank McCourt and Nobby Clark. Bert Trautmann must have been the best goalkeeper in the world back then but he was a first class guy and always gave me encouragement. I never made it into the first team because of Bert but once City were playing in the Cheshire Cup final and Bert let me play in his place saying ‘You’ll have no trouble there’. Thus I picked up a winners medal with Manchester City. I was playing in the reserves though behind a centre half that had been through about 4 cartilage operations. He never won a single high ball that came into the area and we were conceding too many goals. I started to lose confidence. My form suffered and I realised I needed to move on.

Manchester City then put me on the transfer list and I wrote to several Scottish clubs but most of them already had fixed up their goalkeepers for the next season. Then Archie Anderson who was now manager of Cheltenham Town wrote to me and asked me to give him a ring. I ended up signing for Archie this time. He had regretted not getting back to me to get me signed for Ayr before I joined Cowden.

Cheltenham was a great move for me. I still live there almost 60 years on. There was a marvellous team spirit and the players would put their life on the line for you. We played in the Southern League and were one of the better sides. Archie Anderson was there for a good while and he brought in many Scottish players. Playing colleagues included Rex Dunlop (Rangers), Augie Scott (Southampton) and Johnny Farrell (Alloa).

By 1962, I was having chronic back trouble but Frank O’Farrell, the future Manchester United manager, who was then boss of Weymouth, asked Johnny Farrell if he knew any good keepers. Johnny recommended me and I joined Weymouth after 8 years at Cheltenham. I managed two seasons for Weymouth before retiring from the game as my back was getting too bad by then. I used to just train on Tuesdays and go to the chiropractor on Thursdays so that I was able to play on the Saturday.

Away from the game, I spent 27 years with Dowty Fuel Systems as a manager in Cheltenham. We made aircraft equipment for planes such as the Javelin. I go to see Cheltenham play every now and again. Whaddon Road is a really lovely stadium now. It left a lot to be desired when I was a player. The club has enjoyed a couple of promotions since joining the Football League but has dropped back to League Two. I still watch football on the TV as well – as often as I can. I also keep an eye out for the Cowdenbeath score – not so good yesterday when they lost the derby match v Dunfermline. I really did enjoy my spell at Central Park.

Rob R

Post by Rob R » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:37 am

Bobby McCool signed for Third Lanark from Ormiston Primrose an East of Scotland Junior side that was disbanded in 1962 and reformed again in 1980. In another thread, Leatherstockings said he was at Cathkin for three years so this is in the late fifties to early sixties time frame and I think he made three league appearences but would have been a regular in the reserves.

wormbo

Post by wormbo » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks you fro the replies so far have been able to fill in a few gaps already which is great. Especially with Gourlay hoping that I will be meeting with him soon as I have just found out he lives near my parents so I will hopefully find out his full date of birth from him.

jimmygrumble

Post by jimmygrumble » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:18 pm

Baird,Nat b.08.09.1927. Irvine Meadow to Morton 6/53 to Cheltenham 7/56
Black,James: b.Motherwell 04.05.1906. Carluke Rovers, St. Johnstone, Cowdenbeath, Charlton, Burton Town, Aldershot. Cheltenham back to Cowdenbeath 7/36
Brae,William: b.Neilston 04.11.1902. d.Cheltenham 22.04.1968. At Ayr Utd from 8/23 to 1935
Buick,Joe: Played for Ruston Bucyrus, Lincoln works side after Cheltenham
Burns,Jimmy: there was a Jimmy Burns on Celtic's books 55/56, signed 6/55 from Maryhill Harp. Also played one game as a trialist for Albion Rov 54/55
Cleland,Peter: b.08.05.1932. Newarthill Hearts to Motherwell 3/51. Cheltenham to Norwich 8/58, to Bedford 9/60, to Biggleswade 7/62. d.Bedford 23.09.1990
Crichton,Ron: b.06.04.1941. Arbroath Lads Club to Dundee 6/58, to Hearts 8/62
Dunlop,Rex: Baillieston to Rangers 7/48, Dumbarton(loan) 2/50, to Workington 11/53
Finlay,Jack: b.Glasgow 01.07.1925. Strathclyde to Clyde 9/47, to St. Mirren 11/50, to New Brighton 3/51, to Leeds 7/51, to Yeovil, to Walsall 8/53
Fletcher,Chris: joined Morton 5/60, to Berwick 2/61
Fowler,Daniel: a player of this name at Brechin 56/57 + 57/58. Signed 12/56 from Aberdeen East End. b. 09.09.1934
Gourlay,William: Bathgate Th to Cowdenbeath 12/51, to Man. City 2/53
Hamilton,Ian: Kirkintilloch Rob Roy to Ayr 10/58, to QOS 6/62, to Cheltenham 8/63, to Falkirk 6/64, to East Fife 1/65
Knox,Jimmy: not sure if the same player, but there was a player of that name at Raith, Coventry, Rugby during fifties, and Lockheed Leaminton 1964, Corby 1966
Laird,Alex: b.Newmains 02.06.1926. died 2004 Fauldhouse to Stirling 10/49, to Chelsea 11/51, to Notts Co 7/53, to Cheltenham 1/54, back to Stirling 9/54, to Berwick 8/55
Lamont,Billy: b.Larkhall 12.05.1936 Bellshill Ath to Albion Rov 3/59, to Cheltenham 5/62, to Hamilton 8/63, back to Albion Rov 10/69, back to Hamilton 8/71.
Also managed Hamilton, E.Stirlingshire, Dumbarton, Falkirk, Partick, Falkirk again, Dumbarton again, and Alloa
Lake,Bill: b.Aberdeen 19.04.1932. Hall Russells to East Fife 11/52, to Crewe 10/55
McClune,Bill: b.Shotts 16.05.1921. died 1992. Douglasdale to Albion Rov 11/46, to Preston 12/47, to New Brighton 7/48, to Carlisle 10/49, to Morton 2/50, to Hartlepool 8/50, to Ballymena 1953
McCool,Bobby: b.11.08.1942. Ormiston Primrose to Th.Lanark 2/60
McGonagle,Peter: Duntocher Hibs to Celtic 8/26, Nithsdale Wdrs(L) 12/26, Dunfermline(L) 10/35 + 3/36, to Hamilton 7/36, to Cheltenham 10/37
McNab,Sam: b.Glasgow 20.10.1926. died Paisley 02.11.1995. Dalry Th, Sheffield U 1/52, to York 5/54, to Cheltenham 1956, to Hamilton 8/57
McNeil,Tom: joined Lochgelly 10/25, to King's Park 2/26. With Dunfermline 27/28
Mitchinson,Dan: b.10.02.1931. Bridgeton Wav yo Clyde 6/52
Nisbet,Robert. if a pre-war player, I might have a trace
Paterson,Bill: joined Inverness Caley 1966, then played for Hamilton Steelers (Canada)
Phillips,Mike: b.Skares, 18.01.1933. Cumnock to Grimsby 1/55, to Cheltenham 6/55, to Stranraer 1/58, played 57/58 + 58/59
Stewart,Bill: provisional signing for St. Mirren 3/45
Workman,Gordon: b.19.10.1937. Muirend Ams to Th.Lanark 8/54
Yuill,John: joined Arbroath 6/36, to Dumbarton 6/38
only sing when i'm fishing

cowdenbeather

Post by cowdenbeather » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:59 pm

James Crowe Black (Jimmy Black) was actually born at 29 Mabel Street, Motherwell on 4/5/1901. Jimmy had spent 4 years with St Johnstone before Cowdenbeath signed him in 1929. He was a useful addition to the squad and scored 24 league goals in his 2 seasons with Cowden. In 1931, he joined Charlton and spent several years at the Valley. He did though play one more league game for Cowden in 1936. He married a Cowdenbeath girl in 1932 and they settled in Cowdenbeath at 125 Perth Road. Jimmy was living at 3 Arthur Place, Cowdenbeath in the 1960s but died at the Retreat, near Cupar, Fife on 9/2/1967. The retreat was often known as Springfield and was an asylum. Jim had worked as a bricklayer and underground in the pits. His brother Sammy Black was born in Motherwell on 18/10/1905 and is Plymouth Argyle's all time record goalscorer.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:25 pm

wormbo wrote:Hello

I'm researching Cheltenham Town FC. During the 1950/60's especially we had a regular influx of players coming from North of the Border mainly under the managerial reign of a Scottish manager by the name of Arch Anderson.

I'm hoping that someone on here might be help me or at least point me in the right direction to find information on the following people.

William Raeside - seems to have had a varied coaching career from Scotland to Norway, Mexico, Argentina and Spain. Looking for any information on him such as dates/place of birth and death any playing career and who he actually managed.
Thanks in advance for any information you can provide
If you're still watching after all these years, here is the William Raeside story: http://www.scottishsporthistory.com/spo ... -aka-cowan

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:14 pm

wormbo wrote:Hello

Alex/Alec Carson - Born in Clarkston 1942. No other information on him
I cannot match Andy’s great story about William Raeside but I can add details of another player on your list. Alexander (“Alec”) McPhee Carson was born in Clarkston, Glasgow on 12 November 1942. However, he grew up in Corby and made his first impact as a footballer with Corby schoolboys. He signed for Northampton Town close to his seventeenth birthday in November 1959. You will probably know the rest of his career in England (Aldershot Town, Cheltenham Town, Worcester City, Hereford United, Evesham United and Cinderford Town).

Angusfifer

Post by Angusfifer » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:56 am

Billy Luke sadly died in February 2014...

smathers

Post by smathers » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:51 pm

Hi I am posting the following on behalf of a Wallace Brown who has so far been unsuccessful in creating an account:
I have some background & info on two of the players mentioned – Ross Menzies & Bobby McCool.
Ross Menzies
The original post shows Menzies as playing for Cardiff – this is correct and the excellent 1987 “Bluebirds Who’s Who”, written by the late John Crooks, has the following:
Born Glasgow 31.10 1934
A half-back who made only one FL appearance, that being against Charlton in a Div. 2 game on 1st February 1958. He was signed from Rangers and played almost all his Cardiff football in Football Combination and Welsh League games.
His height is shown as 5’8” and his weight as 11 stone.
Bobby McCool
One reply was received about this player who spent some time at Cheltenham and, from what I can see, the three appearances he made for Third Lanark were all in the 1960-61 season.
In addition, the following is an article from the Gloucestershire Echo in 2013. One interesting aspect of the article is mention of Arch Anderson, who was named in the original post and on which information was also sought.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cheltenham Town: Where are they now? Bobby McCool
Wednesday, June 19, 2013
Gloucestershire Echo

AFTER returning from a spell playing in Canada, Bobby McCool's mother advised her homesick son to spend a season at Cheltenham Town and then return to his native Scotland.
But 51 years on he is still living in Bishop's Cleeve.
Winger McCool joined the Robins in 1962 and went on to make 123 appearances, scoring 33 goals.
Born in Edinburgh, he started his career as a junior with Rangers and after a spell with Ormiston Primrose he joined Third Lanark in February 1960, breaking into the first team at 17.
He suffered a badly broken ankle, but regained his fitness and confidence on a tour of North America with a Scottish Select XI.
After a spell with Hamilton Steelers in Canada, McCool turned down interest from Dunfermline and Hastings to join Arch Anderson's Cheltenham side.
"I loved it in Canada and played with players from all over the world, but I was homesick because I was on my own and only 18 years old," McCool said.
"I remember Hastings offered me £25 a week and Cheltenham offered £17, but I looked at the map and thought there was no way I was going to Hastings!.
"I remember meeting Archie Anderson and then he followed me up to my girlfriend's house in Edinburgh where I was staying, to persuade me to sign.
“I came back down and met him at the station and I remember saying to him 'I didn't know Cheltenham was by the seaside', but I soon realised the Promenade was just a road!”
McCool quickly became good friends with full-back Roger Thorndale, who helped him settle in to his new surroundings.
He made his debut against Margate on August 18, 1962.
His first goal came against Gloucester City two months later and he starred in the run to the FA Cup first round, scoring the only goal of the fourth qualifying victory over Minehead.
The following year he was a key member of the team that finished third in Southern League Division One, winning promotion back to the Premier Division.
"I remember Bobby Nisbet could only play on the right, so I spent a lot of time on the left because I could play either side," McCool said.
"I became close friends with Willie Ferns and Ronnie Radford.
“I couldn't believe it when Ron put that goal in for Hereford against Newcastle because he could never shoot straight for Cheltenham!”
McCool was quick and skilful, also operating as a centre forward on occasions.
At the age of 19, McCool decided to apply for work at Smiths Industries, but he had no idea what the firm manufactured at their Cleeve base.
"I was working near the church in the town centre, but the people I was in digs with told me I should look for another job, so I walked up to Smiths from the Old Gloucester Road," McCool said.
"When I got there I knocked on the door and the security man asked if I had arranged an interview, but I hadn't.
"I had no idea they made aircraft there, I thought it was a crisp factory!
“But luckily they let me in and the manager who interviewed me was a Cheltenham Town regular and after a two hour chat, mainly about football, I was offered the job.”
McCool worked at Smiths until the age of 57, then he took early retirement.
On the pitch, he left the Robins in 1965 after being told he was being 'sacked' by Anderson's successor Harold Fletcher.
"I remember being called in with Mr Fletcher and some of the directors and told I was getting the sack," he said.
"They never explained why, but I suspect it was because I was one of the higher earners and the team wasn't doing particularly well that season.
"Because I was working at Smiths I didn't want to move anywhere far away like Hastings, so I joined Gloucester City the next day.
“At the end of that season Fletcher became Gloucester manager and we didn't like each other, but he was sacked a few months later and I had ten good years at Gloucester City.”
McCool made over 300 appearances for the Tigers, earning a testimonial match against Hereford United in 1972/73.
He was voted player of the year in both 1967 and 1968 and was a member of the City side that won promotion to the Premier League and won the Southern League Merit Cup as highest goalscorers in 1968/69.
"I was very lucky as I said I was going to retire because I'd been made a manager at Smiths and I'd have to work some weekends," McCool said.
"The next thing I know Gloucester said Hereford were sending a side for a friendly and the proceeds would go to me.
"Would you believe it there was a riot at half-time, with windows and doors broken at Horton Road.
“But it wasn't as bad a game in Montreal early in my career when I had a corner flag split over my head after a pitch invasion and ended up having eight stitches!”
McCool turned out briefly for Bishop's Cleeve, but work commitments took precedence and he hung up his boots for good.
Now 70, McCool married Barbara in 1986 and they live in Cleeve. They have three children: Scott, Joanne and Sarah and four grandchildren: Ellis (21), Jai (18), Georgia (11) and Taylor (6). Jai represents Cheltenham Town at futsal.
The McCools remain good friends with fellow ex-Robin Frank Carnie and his family.

wallace.brown@virginmedia.com

J.S.Norway

Post by J.S.Norway » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:58 pm

Tom McNeil for Liverpool res. (Central League)
1927/28 5 games/1 goal
1928/29 18 games/2 goals