SPL under 21 rule

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
fifemale93

SPL under 21 rule

Post by fifemale93 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:51 pm

Does anyone actually know the full ruling on the number of u21 players needed on a match day for the SPL games. Some people say its 2 in the match 18, some say you need 3 on the bench no matter how many start the game.

Any help would be great

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:57 pm

I think it's still two - which was the requirement when the SPL started. The 18 on the bench is only an option - clubs can name fewer players. But I'm not 100% on this.

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:47 pm

I have a vague recollection of this.

Gary Naeskills was a regular in the Hearts side around 1998, and Hearts argued that it was unfair that it was 2 under 21 subs when a team had an under 21 in the starting line up. I think the rules were changed around 1999, 2000.
It's the Hope I can't stand

Asterix

Post by Asterix » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:15 am

From the ever helpful Drew Herbertson:

from the SPL rules
List of Players

B7.1 An authorised representative of each Club must provide a written
list of the names of up to 18 Players taking part in each League Match (including the name of the nominated substitute(s) ) to the Referee
not less than one hour before the advertised time of kick-off. The list shall indicate the full names, other than trialists listed in accordance with Rule D6, of players and shall indicate the colour of the goalkeeper's shirt together with the colour of shirt proposed to be worn by other players for the Club in the relevant game.

B7.2 If any nominated player or substitute sustains an injury after
the submission of the written lists to the Referee and before the kick-off, he may be replaced provided that the Referee and opposing Club are informed immediately.

Substitute Players

B8.1 Only up to three nominated substitutes for any one Club may take
part in a League Match. A player who has been substituted may not take part in that League Match again. The list referred to in Rule B7.1 must include two recognised goalkeepers, one of whom must start the match, and three outfield players who qualify as Under-21 players
Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but, that says to me it must be 3 *outfield* players in the 18.