Earliest League Substitute?

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Scottish
Site Admin

Earliest League Substitute?

Post by Scottish » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:47 am

We've discovered in the past some rare occasions when substitutes were permitted in representative games as far back as the 1890s but I wonder if there has been an earlier Scottish League substitution than the one I came across in the Sunday Post of January 21st 1917 in a match at Ibrox when a Partick Thistle player was injured in the first half and with the consent of opponents Rangers (and, presumably, the referee) a substitution was allowed.

Does anyone know of any earlier incidences?

John Meffen

Re: Earliest League Substitute?

Post by John Meffen » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:45 am

Not in the Scottish League, but I just came across a Falkirk & District League match between Stenhousemuir & Falkirk Amateurs at Ochilview on 7th Jan 1899 when

"Comrie, the Amateurs' outside left, fell heavily and broke his arm after three minutes' play. Barr was allowed to take his place."

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:11 pm

There have been many instances of substitutions before that - and in representative games too. Wales changed goalkeepers v Scotland in April 1889 and the Scottish League made an outfield substitution v the Irish League in April 1893, but I was wondering if there had been an earlier league substitution than the one mentioned previously. I can't find one in the Scottish League. Nor in the English or Irish leagues either for that matter.

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:26 pm

As far as my research goes the aforementioned Partick Thistle substitution was the first in Scottish League football. Although I have come across a referee being substituted at half time around 1905!

Alan

StAndrewsHMFC

Post by StAndrewsHMFC » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:10 am

I may be remembering this wrong, but I'm sure I read something similar happened when Leith Athletic were playing away to Celtic in a league game report from the 1890's. I don't have access to the notes I took just now unfortunately

StAndrewsHMFC

Post by StAndrewsHMFC » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:28 am

Curiosity got the better of me, so looked on Londonhearts-

16 March 1895 Celtic 4-0 Leith Athletic- J Marshall of Leith got his leg broken early on and Leith (with Celtics consent) were allowed to bring on a replacement (no mention of his name frustratingly).

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/imag ... 031610.htm

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:58 pm

Well it looks like William McLeod (Cowlairs) made history by allowing the earliest league substitute, around 70 years
before Archie Gemmell's in the 1960s, which was commonly known to be the first! Such a shame we don't have the identity
of the player in question.

Alan

Boris57

Post by Boris57 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:28 pm

Leith's John Marshall broke his left leg in the first half after a clash with Doyle of Celtic. The replacement allowed was called Hamilton. 2 players with the surname Hamilton, both forwards, appeared in Leith line-ups that season - initials T & W. T.Hamilton appeared in more line-ups than W but I can't be certain which one it was but I'd guess it was most likey T. Incidentally, Celtic turned out in all-white that day to avoid clashing with Leith's black & white stripes. They also promised to come through to Leith later in the season to play in a benefit for Marshall but never did.