Question regarding a paper, or magazine, called Weekly News

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

Question regarding a paper, or magazine, called Weekly News

Postby kjell » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:41 pm

Hello,

In Dundee Courier, Friday, March 19, 1915 there is a small add about "Alick Raisbeck - My life story". It is suppose to be found in "This week's weekly news."

My question is if that is a weekly Dundee Courier edition, or if there was a national magazine, or similar named "Weekly News"?

Kjell
kjell

Re: Question regarding a paper, or magazine, called Weekly N

Postby Scottish » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:25 pm

The Weekly News was (is?) published, as the name suggests, every week by the same publishers of the Courier & the Sunday Post, amongst other publications, the Dundee-based DC Thomson. Although in a newspaper format, it wasn't a newspaper as such, carrying 'human interest' stories, offering prizes to readers for 'heart-warming' 'real life' stories, tittle-tattle about royalty, film & TV stars etc, laced with regular fictional features like detective stories starring 'Dandy' McLean & 'Little Stories from the Police Courts.' This last was allegedly based on a real accounts but usually featured characters so stupid as to be unbelievable. There were also regular cartoons like 'Hard-Hearted Hannah' and 'Setturday Sanny.'

It had a wide circulation area, including all of Scotland (the edition sold in my neck of the woods was always titled Glasgow Weekly News) and at least the North East of England though I doubt if there was any significant changes in any 'regional' edition. Certainly the only changes in the North East edition were that the letters page (cash prizes for best letters) contained letters from that region and 'Setturday Sanny' became 'Saturday Sammy,' based on the highly questionable assumption that the readers in that area wouldn't understand the Scots vernacular.

Its one and only saving grace was its extensive football coverage, usually four pages at the back with the usual star interviews, pools guides and articles written under the pseudonyms 'The Captain' & 'Peter Black.' I presume this latter was a pseudonym. If not, he must have been writing well into his eighties.

The lasting legacy of the Weekly News to Scottish football came once every year when, prior to the start of the season, it would publish over two weeks a four-page form guide to the coming season. As well as an assessment of strengths and weaknesses of every club, it also published a list of all players on every league club's books, along with their height, weight, position, year signed for the club and where they signed from.

A lot of this information has been used by John Litster in compiling his disks. I think this feature started around 1954 though I can't be certain, never having seen it myself until the 1960s. So what it contained back in 1915, I don't know.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby the hibLOG » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:07 pm

scottish wrote:The Weekly News was (is?) published...

Oh, still IS.

I am sure I recall shuddering at the sight of it in newsagents in the south of England too, when I lived in Cambridge. No doubt a healthy circulation in places like Corby which is like a Scottish colony of marooned former steel workers.
Fraser
the hibLOG

Postby Snuff » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:02 pm

Much as I enjoyed Scottish's potted biography of the Weekly News - I must censor him for his failure to mention what was for me, the best thing about the publication - 'Fun and Games wi Andy James', the feature which regailed us with tales of the derring-do of Wan Fittit and the other galacticos of Invertottie Howkers.

Wan Fittit, with his long-suffering WAG Banda Hope, his pet budgie Hideghuti and his dear father, the salt bag inserter at the local crisp factory, here was football writing funnier and more-accurate than anything the likes of Keith Jackson is coming up with today.

Then there was Pythagoras McCuddie - one of the stalwarts of the Turf, not forgetting such supporting acts to Wan Fittit as Dinny Drappit, Auld N Dunne, Wullie Signim, Cary Blackbag and the rest.

You don't get prose of that quality today. Or, for that matter, written entertainment.
Snuff
Snuff

Postby the hibLOG » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:40 am

Nowadays, of course, he'd be Juan Fittit.
Fraser
the hibLOG

Postby Scottish » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:31 am

And Cary Bawbag
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby stuthejag » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:47 pm

The Mitchell Library in Glasgow has the Weekly News in bound volumes (but not a complete collection) from 1901-1956 & 1981-onwards.

Kjell, The Raisbeck story runs for 17 Weeks ! from 20th March - 10th July 1915.
Stu
[url][/url]http://partickthistleahistory.wetpaint.com/
stuthejag

Postby John Meffen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:32 am

stuthejag wrote:The Mitchell Library in Glasgow has the Weekly News in bound volumes (but not a complete collection) from 1901-1956 & 1981-onwards.

Kjell, The Raisbeck story runs for 17 Weeks ! from 20th March - 10th July 1915.

and he came fae Polmont only famous otherwise for having a Borstal ...
John Meffen

Postby John Meffen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:50 am

Just blogged about a grave of one of his relatives, not relevant, just thought I would say
John Meffen

Postby kjell » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi John,

I have received copies of the article series. I will sometime soon start adding them transcribed on my website. I am not sure if I got them all, but will use your dates as reference.

Good to see the posting regarding Luke Raisbeck. I also read he had a court case in Falkirk in November 1905 regarding "promised, but failed love across the border." Being sued for £500 for not fulfilling promise of marrige, but acquitted.

Kjell
kjell

Postby Scottish » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:27 am

John Meffen wrote:and he came fae Polmont only famous otherwise for having a Borstal ...

Once met a guy from Polmont here in Barcelona. Asked him if he had escaped or got time off for good behaviour. He looked blank as if he didn't understand the reference.

Maybe he spent time in Glen Ochil!
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Alan McCabe » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:41 pm

And remember, the Borstal was formerly Blairlodge School, one of the country's top public schools of the late 19th Century.
Blairlodge performed well as a Rugby club in those days and I have read accounts which claim the school was "Scotland's answer to Eton", no less. I do know it was one of the first large buildings in Scotland to have electric light fitted throughout. Some from 'The Braes' area are apparently still awaiting this advance to reach them!
Alan McCabe

Postby John Meffen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:24 pm

also played in early Scottish Schools Cricket mini league, with Fettes & Loretto the results of which were in the FH.
John Meffen

Postby John Meffen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:25 pm

scottish wrote:
John Meffen wrote:and he came fae Polmont only famous otherwise for having a Borstal ...

Once met a guy from Polmont here in Barcelona. Asked him if he had escaped or got time off for good behaviour. He looked blank as if he didn't understand the reference.

Maybe he spent time in Glen Ochil!

it meant the exact same to me growing up.
John Meffen

Postby John Meffen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:41 pm

Kjell wrote:Hi John,

I have received copies of the article series. I will sometime soon start adding them transcribed on my website. I am not sure if I got them all, but will use your dates as reference.

Good to see the posting regarding Luke Raisbeck. I also read he had a court case in Falkirk in November 1905 regarding "promised, but failed love across the border." Being sued for £500 for not fulfilling promise of marrige, but acquitted.

Kjell

Kjell, ha det bra.

like I said on an earlier thread I think there are many complications about alex's birthplace [but am by no mean certain] as I do believe it was often listed as Polmont, which was the Parish, not Wallacestone, where he might have been born, but as we discovered it is a murky subject, that has never been resolved

John
John Meffen

Next

Return to SFAQS