Stevie Chalmers

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
redxerox

Stevie Chalmers

Post by redxerox » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:22 am

I'm researching an article on Stevie Chalmers and hope someone out there can help.

I have some good info on his Celtic career, but I'm interested in his life after Parkhead. On joining Morton, I have the appearance and goals record of his first and second seasons there, however, it seems the second season at Morton only lasted a few early season games.

Did he retire at this stage or join another club?

Asterix

Post by Asterix » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:32 pm

He moved onto Partick Thistle:

http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/ ... almers.htm

I'll check Litster tonight when I get home.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:47 pm

Left Morton for Thistle in Oct 1972. Played 21 league games (18 + 3sub) scoring five times. Debut was a 2-1 defeat at Ayr on Oct 7th 1972.. First goal was in a 3-0 win at Tannadice on Nov 11th. Also four games in Scottish Cup (2 + 2sub). No goals.

In 1973-74 he played 22 times in the League (20 +2 sub), scoring once (V Dundee at Dens, Apr 24th 1974). Also three apps in Scottish Cup (2 + 1 sub). No goals.

No League Cup apps for Thistle.

Last game was 2-1 Firhill win over Dundee United Apr 29th 1974.

redxerox

Post by redxerox » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:25 am

Information on Steve Chalmers very good and appreciated, then I got to thinking about his playing record with Celtic, for which there are very many variances depending on whose on-line data you look at.

I wonder if you would come to my aid once again.

Regards total goals for Celtic, records vary, I've yet to see the same total appear twice and have seen 229, 232 and 242, whilst un the league it looks like it's either 155 or 159.

League appearances for Celtic would appear to be 261. Can anyone confirm?

Also when he left Celtic to take up the player/coach job at Morton, was there a fee, and likewise when he left Morton for Partick Thistle?

I would have to disagree with your statement regarding Steve Chalmers' last match. I'm certain it was for Partick, not against Dundee United in 1974, but against St Johnstone at Firhill on 19 April 1975. he came on as a sub for Andy Anderson and it was his only appearance of the season, which makes me believe perhaps he was essentially a coach with Partick throughout that 1974/75 season, but also registered as a player to help out in an emergency.

That would also have been Chalmers' 44 league appearance as a Jag.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:49 pm

Yes, quite right re Chalmers last appearance for Thistle. He also made one substitute appearance in the League Cup in 74-75 as well. There's a team photo for that season in the official Jags history which shows him as a player. No reference in the caption or in the text to any coaching role.

Any fees in transfers to Morton and Thistle would be nominal.

Regarding League appearances for Celtic, the normally-reliable 'Celtic A-Z' by Tom Campbell & Pat Woods gives 260 and 158 goals. John Litster gives 261 (it's possible the first total misses his solitary appearance in 1958-59) and 159 goals. That would make him 6th top all-time Celtic goalscorer (Jimmy McGrory, Jimmy Quinn, Patsy Gallacher, Henrik Larsson & Bobby Lennox being the top five).

For total goals for Celtic, Litster gives 29 Scottish Cup, 29 League Cup and 13 in Europe for a total of 230. With Morton & Thistle added (and counting one in the Texaco Cup) his career tally comes to 249.