Players who were men of the cloth

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
bluedragon

Players who were men of the cloth

Post by bluedragon » Mon May 27, 2013 7:46 pm

I have been told that five ordained Ministers have played for clubs in the Football League in England. Does anyone know of any examples in Scotland?

HibeeJibee

Re: Players who were men of the cloth

Post by HibeeJibee » Mon May 27, 2013 8:22 pm

I believe there have been a few. I saw one noted in a book I was flicking through a few days ago but I've forgotten which club it was (Raith?). St Bernards had a keeper who went on to become Moderator of the General Assembly, no less - infact Leonard Small's biography is called "The Holy Goalie". He played 1928-30, got 1 Amateur cap.

William Beveridge, thrice capped for Scotland 1879-1880, became a minister.

The great Tommy Walker wanted to become a minister, and I'm sure I've seen an article in London Hearts newspaper clippings about him taking some services, but I'm not sure if he was ever ordained. Not a minister, but Lord Kinnaird was Lord Commissioner to the General Assembly 1907-1909.

EDIT: I think it probably was Raith I was recalling in my opening sentence.

Tom Snoddy (played for them 1911-1912) became a minister, and J McKenzie (1 game v Aberdeen in 1924) was a minister at the time he played.

Interesting topic. I'm sure others will know of further Reverends.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon May 27, 2013 11:32 pm

Club chaplains are not uncommon in English football. Alan Comfort (an appropriate name if ever there was one) of Middlesbrough had his career ended by injury, aged just 26. He later became a minister in (I think) the CoE.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Mon May 27, 2013 11:50 pm

Does Owen Archdeacon count?
Fraser

Rob R

Post by Rob R » Tue May 28, 2013 9:51 am

Pat McMahon who was a Junior Cup winner with Kilsyth Rangers in 1967 before becoming one of the Celtic reserves ,Quality Street Kids, once studied for the priesthood, but became a cival servant instead, whilst still a junior. In fact Kilsyth used to bring him back from London every Friday night on the overnight sleeper. Freed by Celtic he signed for Tommy Docherty's Aston Villa IIRC.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Tue May 28, 2013 11:33 am

[quote="The great Tommy Walker wanted to become a minister, and I'm sure I've seen an article in London Hearts newspaper clippings about him taking some services, but I'm not sure if he was ever ordained.[/quote]

That jogged my memory to an interview with Roy Barry in the Scotsman in early April 2013 where he recalled Tommy Walker leading prayers by the Hearts team.

prorege

Post by prorege » Tue May 28, 2013 5:03 pm

Dougie McNab of Alloa and Partick (70s / early 80s) is a Minister in the Church of Scotland. I think he had finished training before the end of his football career.

gogsy1968

Post by gogsy1968 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:41 pm

i seem to remember when going through the Dundee Courier from the 1930's that there was an ex Third Lanark player who ended up as a monk down in England,. I'll check to see if I still have the notes.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Wed May 29, 2013 9:33 pm

gogsy1968 wrote:i seem to remember when going through the Dundee Courier from the 1930's that there was an ex Third Lanark player who ended up as a monk down in England,. I'll check to see if I still have the notes.
Thanks for the lead. I had a look at the Newspaper archive and found James Paul Campbell, son of Celtic’s Scottish International Johnny Campbell. James was in a Glasgow legal firm with his brothers. He was deputy fiscal of Greenock. He joined a silent Order with a spartan lifestyle in Leicestershire in 1936. He played his football for St Mungo’s Academy, was a football Blue at Glasgow University and played for Third Lanark as an amateur. He then played for Greenock High School Former Pupils. In John Litster’s disks there is a Campbell, James P who signed for Third Lanark on 9th August 1928 but there are no appearances.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Wed May 29, 2013 9:46 pm

bluedragon wrote:
gogsy1968 wrote:i seem to remember when going through the Dundee Courier from the 1930's that there was an ex Third Lanark player who ended up as a monk down in England,. I'll check to see if I still have the notes.
Thanks for the lead. I had a look at the Newspaper archive and found James Paul Campbell, son of Celtic’s Scottish International Johnny Campbell. James was in a Glasgow legal firm with his brothers. He was deputy fiscal of Greenock. He joined a silent Order with a spartan lifestyle in Leicestershire in 1936. He played his football for St Mungo’s Academy, was a football Blue at Glasgow University and played for Third Lanark as an amateur. He then played for Greenock High School Former Pupils. In John Litster’s disks there is a Campbell, James P who signed for Third Lanark on 9th August 1928 but there are no appearances.
Apparently when he arrived at the Monastery he was greeted by a monk in a brown habit, cowl and white beard. It was his maternal uncle (Brother David) who had been given a special dispensation by the Abbot to speak a welcome to his nephew.

cowdenbeather

Post by cowdenbeather » Wed May 29, 2013 10:33 pm

I have in my notes the following - In 1927/28, Giles McPartlin played for Hibs v Cowdenbeath. 40 years later he was Father Giles, OFM of the Friary in Dundee. OFM means Order of Friars Minor or to put it more simply he was a Franciscan monk.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu May 30, 2013 1:51 pm

What about the old Queen's Parker, Charlie Church? In fact when you think about it, there must be numerous Kirks, Chapels, Priors, Abbots, Monks, Priests, Friars, etc. Not to mention the odd Pope here and there.

MadMac

Post by MadMac » Fri May 31, 2013 12:19 am

scottish wrote:What about the old Queen's Parker, Charlie Church? In fact when you think about it, there must be numerous Kirks, Chapels, Priors, Abbots, Monks, Priests, Friars, etc. Not to mention the odd Pope here and there.
I'll give you Stevie Kirk, and current player Tom Pope of Port Vale for starters.

gogsy1968

Post by gogsy1968 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:14 am

I've just finished reading a book on the history of Liverpool football club and it mentions a James Jackson who they signed from Aberdeen. It says he studied Greek and philosophy at Cambridge University and was ordained as a Presbyterian minister in 1933, he officiated at the funeral of a Liverpoool chairman in 1947

Bristol Rovers

Post by Bristol Rovers » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:42 pm

I did some research into this for a Bristol Rovers article a year or two back and discovered that, whilst two Parsons and a Beadle have played for us, Rovers have been opposed in League football by ten Bishops (one of whom was sent off), as well as four Abbotts, an Archdeacon, a Cannon, three Deacons, a Friar, two Monks, two Parsons, three Popes (Tom scored a hat-trick against Rovers last November), a pair of Priests, three Priors, a Sexton and three Vickers.

More seriously, Fred Hodgkinson, who played for Rovers in their first season (1883-84) was later a clergyman in Worsley, Lancashire. Norman Hallam, born in Longton in 1920, played for Port Vale against Rovers in the 1940s and was a Methodist minister from July 1948. Peter Hart, who played seemingly forever for Walsall through the 1980s, is a Church of England vicar at St Luke's, Cannock. Kevin Street, who played for Rovers a few years back, trained for the ministry, but is now working in local schools.