1924 Curiosity?

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
RobertB

1924 Curiosity?

Post by RobertB » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:14 pm

Can anyone help with this? A friend just showed me this medal and wondered if anyone knew anything about it.
Its dated 1924 'the Scots picnic' on the reverse it says first prize football tournament five-a-side July 4th but at the bottom it's made in Chicago?

Thanks

John Meffen

Re: 1924 Curiosity?

Post by John Meffen » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:22 pm

RobertB wrote:Can anyone help with this? A friend just showed me this medal and wondered if anyone knew anything about it.
Its dated 1924 'the Scots picnic' on the reverse it says first prize football tournament five-a-side July 4th but at the bottom it's made in Chicago?

Thanks
http://www.chicagoscots.org/scottish-home-picnic/

RobertB

Post by RobertB » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:53 pm

Brilliant John many thanks

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:37 am

When I read it, It just suddenly sprung to mind that one of the founders of Falkirk FC had moved to Chicago and was a member of some such club, from where he informed us that he had been a founder [he might have been boasting, but I have nothing else]

bon chance

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:27 am

Had a look at their Scottish American Hall of Fame. No Donald Trump there. Tsk, tsk.

Angusfifer

Post by Angusfifer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:27 pm

My cousin, born in Chicago had this to say about the Scots Picnic:

Yep. When I was a kid Dad and all his brothers belonged to Clan MacDuff which was a (chapter) of The Royal Order of Scottish Clans. There were other Clans around the USA (and I think Canada). It was a typical social/benevolent organization that provided life insurance to its members.

Then there was The Caledonian Club which I believe was a pure social club in Chicago.

The St. Andrew's Society also was active in Chicago. Their main purpose was supporting various charitable causes the main one being The Scottish Home. which was just a few miles from our home.

All of these organizations had large picnics each summer with games (soccer and softball), putting/chipping contests, foot races, sack races, three-legged races, etc.

Also each year The Scottish Home had (still do) their picnic. It was a grand event for the residents and visitors but I don't remember any soccer games there. The grounds aren't big enough for a pitch but there could have been games nearby on ball fields in The Forest Preserve (public woods/game and picnic facilities). The year I remember best was a rainy one when the pipe band moved into the basement to play. What a glorious sound in that compact space!

Uncle Ronald was in charge of what he called "The Scottish Picnic" each 4th of July. He was assisted mostly by his old water polo teammates of whom only one or two had any recognized Scottish genes. I don't know if he somehow backed into taking over from the group who did the 1924 affair or if he originated his own event. When you are known to all your friends (but not family) as Scotty Mac Laggan it would have been an easy choice.

In the same area was The British Old Peoples' Home which also had a big fete/picnic each summer usually with a band in the English Dance Hall genre. No pipes and drums but they would play "Road to the Isles", etc. to satisfy those attendees who were not Sassenach thatcher. :-)

I remember Dad playing 5 a side football after he retired as a professional but I don't remember any formal tournaments at the picnics.

Going back to The Scottish Home Clan Mac Duff and The St. Andrew's Society would put on evening entertainments at the Home at other times of the year as well. Kids were always welcome and the residents really seemed to enjoy our presence.

George Buik was Bill Mac Laggan's cousin who emigrated from Dundee (I think) before any of our family. I think you can read his biography in the Scottish Hall of Fame referred to in one of the above links. He founded/owned Roscoe Laundry where Bill Mac Laggan Sr. and Jr. worked as did Dad, Uncle Ronald, Cousin Douglas Robb, and even me the Summer I was 16 years old. On one of Mr. Buik's trips to Scotland he returned with a large plaque of the Selkirk Grace and it hung in his dining room until it was bequeathed to The Scottish Home where it hangs today.