Jimmy Smith, Thirds, Clyde....

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
sureitsza

Jimmy Smith, Thirds, Clyde....

Post by sureitsza » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:39 am

I am trying to trace the personal/career details of James "Jimmy" Smith.
Using Litster's disk I got;
Third Lanark, Clyde, Dunfermline, Clackmannan, Inverkeithing, Plymouth, Port Vale, Fulham, Dundee United.
But on checking the Plymouth site, http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/gosdb-p ... sp?pid=772
they say they signed him from CLYDEBANK.
On checking the Dundee United site, http://arabarchive.co.uk/player.php?id=1323
they say they signed him from CLYDE.

Any assistance on clearing up the above would be grateful.

leicester

Re: Jimmy Smith, Thirds, Clyde....

Post by leicester » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:36 am

This is not exactly going to clear matters up definitively, but here is the career progression for James D Smith as given in Alex White's 2002 publication The Men Who Made Fulham:

Rutherglen Glencairn; 1911 Third Lanark; June 1913 Glentoran; July 1914 Third Lanark; (Army service); March 1919 Clydebank (guest); Apr 1919 Clyde; June 1921 Plymouth Argyle; May 1922 Port Vale; Dec 1922 Fulham - cs 1923; June 1924 Dundee United; 1924/5 Dumbarton Harp; cs 1925 Clydebank.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:07 pm

From the Evening Telegraph, 23 June 1924:

"Smith, who is known to the football fraternity in the West as 'Snider' Smith, went to Third Lanark from Rutherglen Glencairn, and after a season or two there he joined up with Clyde. Since then he has been with Port Vale, Fulham and a club in Kent. Fairly tall, Snider is a go-ahead player likely to force matters, and he can 'shoot some.' He will prove an acquisition at Tannadice."

Two months later, the Courier said he was 'formerly of Third Lanark and Bury'.

So, what was the 'club in Kent' where he played between Fulham and Dundee United?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:01 pm

So the missing season is 1923-24 and as the only Kent club in the Football League at that time were Gillingham, it can't be them as you'd have come across it. Complicating matters more is that there were no Kent clubs in the next level down, the Southern League, which is easier to track than lower levels. Bromley were the only Kent club in the Athenian League. There were none in the Isthmian League

If it helps, these were the clubs in the Kent League in 1923-24:
Ashford RW, Bexleyheath Town , Charlton Athletic 'A' , Chatham, Dartford, Erith & Belvedere, Gillingham II, Maidstone United, Northfleet United, Ramsgate, Royal Marines, Royal Navy Depot, Sheppey United, Sittingbourne, Tunbridge Wells Rangers, Woolwich.

Obviously you can ignore the Charlton & Gillingham clubs and I imagine the two forces outfits and Woolwich as well. That leaves eleven plus Bromley.

It was at the time surprisingly common for even big name Scottish players to be linked with non-league English clubs as a quick trawl through the Sunday Post will show.

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:56 pm

Dartford (according to Emms-Wells)

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:38 pm

I must dig out that (and loads of other books) from the pile of boxes sat behind me as I write.

jimmygrumble

Post by jimmygrumble » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:36 am

The birthdate given in "The Men who made Fulham" is approximate (b.Glasgow 16 July c.1882), but surely he must have been born considerably later, as he would have been 40 before he joined Fulham, and 45 by the time he joined Clydebank in 1925. Still, trying to accurately pin down the birthdate of somebody called Jimmy Smith would seem to be an impossible task.
only sing when i'm fishing