Derby v Scottish clubs

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
derby1884

Re: Derby v Scottish clubs

Post by derby1884 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:29 pm

The three surviving members of the Killie team who played Derby in the 1890s (and were guests of honour at the April 1950 game) were, according to the programme, Jocky Johnstone, R.Brown and T.Hunter.
All three were noted as being !still resident in the town"

derby1884

Post by derby1884 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:31 pm

Re the 28.10.57 Killie v Derby friendly, would there have been a programme issued for this game?
Were Killie regular issuers at this time?

I've never come across even a mention of anything produced for the game.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:56 pm

They were regular programme issuers but according to the Programme Guide compiled by Richard Cairns & Douglas Stevenson some years ago there wasn't one for this match. You can confirm or otherwise (and find out about any other programme info you're looking for) via Dougie's website. http://www.d-d-programmes.co.uk

sam peckinpah

Post by sam peckinpah » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:17 pm

Nobody's mentioned what was surely Derby County's biggest ever match against a Scottish club - the two-legged Texaco Cup final vs. Airdrieonians in 1972. Don't get me started on the second leg at the Baseball Ground where the Diamonds were ROBBED - Colin Boulton unpunished punch on Drew Jarvie has passed into Broomfield folklore.

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:25 pm

We never mentioned it because this was about friendlies. IE not what you were on about

sam peckinpah

Post by sam peckinpah » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:38 pm

Och, I know - just like to get a 'dig' in whenever I can (it's the Airdrie way)...

Can't recall, but have they played anyone else competitively?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:13 pm

sam peckinpah wrote:Nobody's mentioned what was surely Derby County's biggest ever match against a Scottish club - the two-legged Texaco Cup final vs. Airdrieonians in 1972. Don't get me started on the second leg at the Baseball Ground where the Diamonds were ROBBED - Colin Boulton unpunished punch on Drew Jarvie has passed into Broomfield folklore.
Presumably because the OP already had this info - and also the earlier match v Dundee United in the same competition in the season.

The second leg was played on April 26th but had originally been scheduled for mid-March and was called off on account of the state of the Baseball Ground. According to an Airdrie programme shortly afterwards, some Diamonds fans who arrived to fnd the game off bought some packets of grass seeds and deposited them outside the Derby offices with instructions on how to plant them!

After the postponed game the Hamilton Advertiser led with the brilliant headline "RETREAT FROM DERBY."

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:56 am

sam peckinpah wrote:Och, I know - just like to get a 'dig' in whenever I can (it's the Airdrie way)...

Can't recall, but have they played anyone else competitively?
I reserve the right to twist any conversation going towards Falkirk FC, you are getting close to my copyright

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:48 pm

11th April 1938 Heart of Midlothian 2 DC 1 (Tommy Walker testimonial)
28th October 1953 DC 3 Hibernian 3
4th August 1975 Hibernian 0 DC 1 (Centenary match)

RichardP

Post by RichardP » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:36 pm

derby1884 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:31 pm
Re the 28.10.57 Killie v Derby friendly, would there have been a programme issued for this game?
Were Killie regular issuers at this time?

I've never come across even a mention of anything produced for the game.
Hi derby1884,

Do you still post on here?......Are you from Aberdeenshire or living in Aberdeenshire?........Do you want to meet up with the Aberdeenshire Rams?

Cheers
RichardP