Match suspended.....overnight?

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
MadMac

Match suspended.....overnight?

Post by MadMac » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:29 pm

Going a little off our usual area, on Thursday evening, the Europa League game involving AZ67 and Atromitos was suspended early in the second half due to a fire in the area of the stadium. Subsequently, it was decided to play the remaining part of the game on Friday morning i.e. they took up where it was left off. I can't recall anything like this (as opposed to an abandonment and replay of the whole game) ever happening in my lifetime. Anyone know if it has?

ScottishFA

Re: Match suspended.....overnight?

Post by ScottishFA » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:32 am

UEFA competition rules were changed three or four years ago to allow this to happen. Effectively the match is suspended, and then continues the following day.

Because of the tight fixture schedule, it avoids the old situation where a match would have to be replayed from the start, and all the problems of travelling across Europe for a second time. So if, for example, a match is abandoned in 75 minutes it would not be practical to ask the players to start all over again the following day - but it is reasonable to ask them to play the remaining 15 minutes.

As far as I know, this is the first time it has happened.

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:42 am

ScottishFA wrote:UEFA competition rules were changed three or four years ago to allow this to happen. Effectively the match is suspended, and then continues the following day.

Because of the tight fixture schedule, it avoids the old situation where a match would have to be replayed from the start, and all the problems of travelling across Europe for a second time. So if, for example, a match is abandoned in 75 minutes it would not be practical to ask the players to start all over again the following day - but it is reasonable to ask them to play the remaining 15 minutes.

As far as I know, this is the first time it has happened.
Only one I have a record of. I've given it a match date of 30th Aug with a note that it began on the 29th
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:47 pm

I'm sure there was a league game in Spain a few years ago which was abandoned for some reason or another with about five minutes remaining and they came back and played the remaining minutes at a later date, during which time the big team involved (Barca I think but it might have been Real), scored an important winner or equaliser. Apologies for the vagueness but I do recall it happening and comparison with rules in this country where it would have been replayed even if they'd been in injury time with one team 9-0 up!

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:03 pm

I've also an extremely vague recollection of a match in some Mediterranean country - possibly Greece? - which was abandoned with not long to go in the game, so they just caught-up the remaining time before the return match (e.g. in our parlance kicked-off 2:40pm, finished 2:50pm, started the game proper 3pm)... those crazy continentals.

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:42 am

It happened several times in Dutch domestic football:
1979-1980 NAC-Feyenoord (Linesman hit by an ashtray)
1978-1979 Promotion competition Groningen-Telstar (someone threw a knife in the direction of a Telstar player)
1981-1982 DS '79-Cambuur floodlight failure
1984-1985 Cambuur-Helmond Sport (crowd trouble)
1988-1989 Den Haag-RBC (bomb alarm)
and a few more

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:39 am

jeroen wrote:1979-1980 NAC-Feyenoord (Linesman hit by an ashtray)
For some reason I got this image of all these Dutch fans dressed like Noel Coward in smoking jackets puffing away on Sobranies through ivory cigarette holders...

Then I remembered the story about the guy murdered in the Dundee Arms ("Vietnam" as it was locally known in Dalry) with a big cut glass ashtray.
Fraser

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:16 am

There is one instance in the UK. 26/11/1898 between The (Sheffield) Wednesday and Aston Villa in the English First Division. Bad light forced the abandonment of the game after 79 minutes with Wednesday 3-1 up. Almost four months later, on 13/3/99, the remaining eleven minutes were played. Wednesday scored again to win 4-1.

Perhaps this ruling was on account of the teams respective positions and how a different outcome might have affected the league table. In the end it didn't. Villa won the title and Wednesday finished last. Any other outcome would have made no difference but at the time of the 'replayed' game Villa were second top and Wednesday second bottom.