TAXI INTERNATIONALS

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
LEATHERSTOCKING

TAXI INTERNATIONALS

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:38 pm

The Scotsman of 11th April 1931 makes reference to the third taxi international to take place @ Queen`s Park Rangers` ground on 16th April. England to be represented by London cabbies & Scotland by those from Edinburgh. The article states that Edinburgh are the curent holders of the "international" challenge Cup. Does anyone have any further information on these "internationals"?

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: TAXI INTERNATIONALS

Post by Scottish » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:26 pm

Only that any in London will have been played on grounds on the north side of the Thames given the similarity between taxi drivers and witches in that both are reluctant to cross water.

MadMac

Post by MadMac » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:12 am

scottish wrote:Only that any in London will have been played on grounds on the north side of the Thames given the similarity between taxi drivers and witches in that both are reluctant to cross water.
Something which, by all accounts, persists to this day. As the late Mick McManus put it a couple of years ago when talking about his 1960s feud with Jackie Pallo: "I'm from South London, he was from North London, and in those days, it might as well have been two different planets".

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:31 am

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:The Scotsman of 11th April 1931 makes reference to the third taxi international to take place @ Queen`s Park Rangers` ground on 16th April. England to be represented by London cabbies & Scotland by those from Edinburgh. The article states that Edinburgh are the curent holders of the "international" challenge Cup. Does anyone have any further information on these "internationals"?
I have a vague memory of seeing a programme from the previous year's game at Tynecastle, and also programmes from similar games in the early 1950s. But I can't find any contemporary references, sorry.

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:19 am

Fascinating oddities these sorts of games, aren't they?

I recall seeing snippets on international / intercity games for Railwaymen, Police, Civil Servants, Churches FAs etc.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:22 pm

I have only found a single similar reference in the Courier and Advertiser of 17th April 1931. It says that "England" won 2-0 and that it was their first victory in the three games to date.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:31 pm

Rolling back the years today's Edinburgh taxi team would include Alex Cropley and Ralph Brand - nine to go!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:59 pm

If he were still alive, Willie Fernie would have been in the Glasgow side.

Rob R

Post by Rob R » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:12 am

and Alex Willoubie

Rob R

Post by Rob R » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:14 am

Jim Baxter drove a taxi in a scene in Rab c Nesbit.

Rob R

Post by Rob R » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:23 am

Years ago when they had half day closing on a Tuesday for shopkeepers they had their own league and played rep games against Edinburgh and Dundee. They also had miner Internationals against England and as you could guess both teams were strongly represented in the 1950s as probably about fifty per cent of Junior teams in the central belt were a stones throw from a colliery.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:47 pm

While looking for something else I came across a reference to a game to be played in London on 22 April 1948 and that Chelsea had given Tommy Walker permission to run the line in the match. The article in the Edinburgh Evening News implies it is the first match since the War. The travelling support from Edinburgh was expected to be between 60 and 120.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:10 am

These "occupation" internationals are great things. Not many people know, for instance, that the VERY LAST match on the old Wembley was between the Scottish and English Football Writers XIs. This was held the day before the demolishers moved in, and what was a good, old-fashioned kicking match was won by ther Scots; with Jim Duffy, who got a game because he was then working for Sportsound, getting the Man of the Match award, after he almost put England's number one hatchet man into orbit, prior to the Englishman landing on a stretcher.

The Sunday Post hack who scored the winner claims he still gets bought drinks on the strength of that goal.

On another tack: One of my cousins was, in the 1950s, a member of the City of Edinburgh Police. But, after he was caught-up in calming down one fairly hairy pub disturbance, his new wife "persuaded" him to leave the force.

He got a job as a coach driver for the Edinburgh Co-op and one of his first jobs was to take the City of Edinburgh Police rugby team to London for their annual game against the Met, a fixture which always coincided with the Calcutta Cup game.

Midway down the A1, he and the second driver swapped over, without stopping the coach. My cousin came back up the coach, to be told by his former Inspector: "If you two ever try that in Edinburgh, I'll throw the book at you".

That's what we need in the spirit of post-referendum reconciliation between Scots and English, more of these sorts of games!!
Snuff

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:27 pm

The Edinburgh Evening News says that on 20 March 1951 the "Busman's International" was played - the 21st visit of the Edinburgh SMT team to play Yorkshire Traction. 44 were in the SMT party including the SMT Claymore Pipe Band.

I would like to see how those teams "parked the bus"!

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:48 am

Just bought this on ebay. The 1939 international was played at Easter Road.