History of Glasgow football

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
kjell

Post by kjell » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:33 pm

Hello,

I came across this note in the Evening Post for 17 December 1904. Has anyone seen a copy of this article or magazine online?

Mr. C.B. Fry’s Magazine is at all times full of racy reading, but the Christmas Number is of particular interest to footballers on this side of the Border, and certainly to those followers of the winter game in Glasgow. A beautifully-illustrated article dealing with the famous three clubs – Queen’s Park, Celtic, and Rangers – appears in this issue, and when it is stated that the writer is Mr. Livingstone, the well-known correspondent, subscribers to the magazine may feel satisfied that they will read an ably-penned contribution. The article is beautifully illustrated with portraits of famous old teams.

Regards,

Kjell

ScottishFA

Re: History of Glasgow football

Post by ScottishFA » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Yes, I've got a copy (in fact I've got bound volumes of the first year of CB Fry's Magazine).

It's a 16 page article, and it deserves a wider readership. So I'll scan it and post the article on www.scottishsporthistory.com and let you know when it has been done.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:57 am

Note, even at this stage, the order of precedence.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Glasgow, City of Football, is now available on my website at http://www.scottishsporthistory.com/dig ... icles.html

It's quite a big file, 6.5 MB, so might take a while to download.

kjell

Post by kjell » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:34 pm

That is amazing. Thanks for sharing that!

Kjell

Gunboat Briggs

Post by Gunboat Briggs » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:59 pm

scottish wrote:Note, even at this stage, the order of precedence.
No surprise that a gentleman amateur like Mr Fry would give Queen's top billing!

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:50 am

More likely that Mr Fry, being an erudite, well-read and noted journalist, having paid due diligence to Queens Park's primacy in matters of Scottish club football, then put the Old Firm in alphabetical order.

I recall, some years ago, when mentioning the Bigot Brothers in a newspaper piece, I went for the order - Celtic, Rangers. The piece duly appeared in the paper in the order - Rangers, Celtic. The Sports sub, a brogues-wearing old school 'Hun' had changed the order, then sent me an e-mail indicating that I should have known: "the correct order of precedence is ALWAYS - Rangers, Celtic".

He may now be long retired, but, his descendants are still out there.

Whilst enjoying a small libation with some still active journalists during the Festive Season, I had to laugh at the comment of a veteran of one of the Scottish daily newspapers' sports desk staff, anent his Sports Editor.

He said: "Him, he's the worst kind of Celtic supporter - a protestant one."

From positions like these, auld Scotia's grandeur springs - as Rabbie might have said.
Snuff

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:07 am

Yes, "Rangers & Celtic" is the most commonly used formation though alphabetical order would suggest it should be the other way round. Whether it's down to bigotry I'm not sure as I've often heard the same said about other rival teams - and not just from fans of the teams in question. Hibs and Hearts as often as the other way round. Same with Spurs and Arsenal or Sunderland and Newcastle, even Kilmarnock & Ayr. Or in Sheffield, Wednesday and United. In each instance the alphabetical order is reversed.