Scottish Footballers Roll of Honour

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

Re: Scottish Footballers Roll of Honour

Postby Scottish » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:26 pm

Quite a lot of detail on Kilmarnock players and those with Killie connections from Richard Cairns which adds more information to the list published in the club history in 1919.

Seven signed Kilmarnock FC players were killed during the First World War. Six had played in the first team:-

Alexander Barrie

b. 19th August 1878, Camlachie, Glasgow. Died 1st October 1918. 2nd Highland Light Infantry. Buried at Flesquieres Hill cemetery in France

Alexander McCurdie

b, 7th January 1895, Trabboch, Stair, Ayrshire. 14th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. Died 24th April 1917, Beaucamp, France. Buried at Fifteen Ravine British Cemetery, near the village of Villers-Plouich.

Daniel McKellar

Died 13th April 1918. 9th Highland Light Infantry (the "Glasgow Highlanders"). His name is one of 11,000 with no known grave commemorated on the Ploegstreet Memorial, South of Ypres.

James Morton Maxwell

b. 26th July 1887, Kilmarnock, Died 21st April 1917 in Mespotania. 1st Seaforth Highlanders. His name is listed on the Basra Memorial, which was moved in 1997 to the Nasiriyah road, ironically the scene of a major battle in the 1991 Gulf War.

David Glencross Slimmon

b. 2nd August 1895, Kilmarnock. 419th (West Lancs) Field Company, Royal Engineers. Won Military Medal. Died 23rd July 1917. Buried at Hop Store Cemetery, near Ypres

Charles Thomas Vickers

b. 12th February 1891, Hutchesontown, Glasgow. Royal Field Artillery. Died 21st June 1917. Buried at Lapugnoy Military Cemetery. near Pas de Calais

A seventh Kilmarnock player, John Rollo, is listed in the "Roll of Honour" in the club's 1918 history. John only played in the Reserves. He was killed while serving with the 63rd Royal Naval Division.

Notes

(1) The 1917 KFC AGM must have been a sombre affair,. The deaths of both McKellar and Maxwell, within days of each other, were announced to the assembled shareholders.

(2) In contrast only one signed Kilmarnock FC player died during the Second World War. Popular winger Benny Thomson went down with his ship, the SS Balmare, on 12th November 1940, whilst serving in the Merchant Navy.

(3) Both Slimmon and Maxwell are listed on the plaques within Kilmarnock's War Memorial. Maxwell left a young son who would go on to find fame as a free scoring forward with Kilmarnock & Preston North End, James "Bud" Maxwell.

(4) The aforementioned War Memorial lists over 800 names of locals who died. A surprising number, like Maxwell, are shown as serving in the Seaforth Highlanders, a percentage far in excess of what could be expected, as Ayrshire was firmly the recruiting area for the then Royal Scots Fusiliers. I always thought it strange that so many Kilmarnock men had joined what was essentially a Regiment from Ross and Cromarty in the far North of Scotland., and had assumed that it was because of the introduction of conscription in 1916, when men were simply sent where they were needed. However, looking for something else I found the following in the "Kilmarnock Herald" of 11th September 1914, just weeks after the start of the war - "It is a remarkable fact that the overwhelming majority of recruits in Kilmarnock have gone the Seaforth Highlanders. The Seaforths will largely be a Kilmarnock Regiment". Perhaps it was an early example of the "Pals" Battalions, when men from a local area elected to join and fight together, or maybe it was the fact that the Seaforth Highlanders were a kilted regiment (the Royal Scots Fusiliers wore trews) was a better way to attract the girls?!

Also James Rae Armstrong, who made a couple of League appearances for Killie in 1912/13, although he had moved on to St Mirren and Girvan Athletic before he was killed at Loos on 10th October 1915, whilst serving in 5th Cameron Highlanders.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Alan Brown » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:24 pm

Thanks to Gordon/David for the additions to the list. If anyone comes up with any more then please let me know.
Alan Brown

Postby HibeeJibee » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:05 pm

I'm delighted to see someone taking on the task of compiling a list of Scottish footballers who gave their lives in the Great War.

I was looking at George Park's history of St Bernard's earlier and noted a paragraph regarding the losses among men connected with them, including this interesting claim regarding the first professional killed during the war.

(p56)
On 10 December 1939 the club held their third Annual Concert in the Royal Halls in Pitt Street, which saw inside right John Ferguson presented with a gold chain and medal for his services to the club prior to his transfer to Third Lanark. John who was a student at the University at the time was highly popular. Even after his move to the Glasgow club he was the subject of several short-term transfers back to Saints, as he was still eligible to play for them in the Consolation Cup that season. Sadly John was to be the first professional football to give his life for his country in the First World War. He was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross.

(p63)
The newspapers covering the period of the First World War make very depressing reading indeed as every issue contained long lists of those who had given their lives for their country. Needless to say St Bernard's were not unaffected, and both forward David McDougall and assistant trainer Archie Tavendale made the supreme sacrifice. Archie had also been with the Rosebery. [Their nursery team]. Full back Alex Kay, who played for the Saints from 1898 to 1900, Fred Albert, the centre forward from 1911 to 1913, John Fleming, the centre forward from 1909 to 1911, Frank Linday, the outside left from 1916 to 1917 and John Ferguson, to whom reference has already been made, were other Saints known to have died in the conflict.

Also, an illustrative non-league example.

http://web.archive.org/web/201004020152 ... index.html

Footballers Answer the Call to Arms

The First World War commenced at the end of July 1914 and a month later the football season commenced, although players were already beginning to join up and Hogg of Gala Fairydean had already been called up as he was a territorial. Organised football continued for a couple of months and during that time Gala Fairydean reached the fourth round of the Scottish Qualifying Cup and thereby were to be included in the main draw for the Scottish Cup for the first time, although as events unfolded, they would have to wait several years before this could take place.

By mid September 96 out of 105 players in the Border League had responded to the call to arms and many clubs ceased playing or could only muster eleven players by including old players and juniors. By December the number of players and club officials from the Borders FA who were doing their duty for King and Country had risen to 166 which included eighteen from Gala Fairydean and Gala Rovers.

In June 1915 Gala Fairydean player, Private Andrew Inglis, was mentioned in dispatches for gallant and distinguished conduct.

On the 12th July 1915 the Kings Own Scottish Borderers were involved in an attack on Turkish positions in the Dardanelles and 230 were posted as missing, presumed killed in action, following this ill fated assault. Many local sportsmen were among this number and included the Gala Fairydean players, Privates William Bennett and Charles Keddie.

Several other players from Galashiels were also to lose their lives during this dreadful conflict and these included M. Townsley, a former Gala Fairydean player, Corporal James Laidlaw who played and sometimes captained Gala Rovers as well as occasionally turning out for Gala Fairydean, and Private Andrew Turner who played for Gala Amateurs.

Within days of the cessation of hostilities Sergeant John Dobson was writing on behalf of the Gala lads in D Company of the 1/4th KOSB’s to the Galashiels Comforts Committee requesting footballs, as they now had time on their hands that they could devote to sport. Two footballs and eleven pairs of shin guards were sent in response.
HibeeJibee

Postby HibeeJibee » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:31 pm

To slightly complicate things regarding Ferguson... I scooped "The Register of the Victoria Cross" off my shelf to look him up. No John Ferguson.

Infact no Ferguson has ever won the VC.

Park's appendix says he was a 2nd Lieutenant in the Scottish Rifles.

[i.e in the Cameronians].

EDIT: So it's evidently this gentleman:
http://www.third-lanark.co.uk/third-lan ... enant.html
and there is no mention of any decoration, and he died on 16th October 1916.

So presumably the VC thing, and probably the "first professional footballer" thing, are erroneous.

EDIT AGAIN: But the other man mentioned on that Third Lanark website - although not explicitly as a player - James Y Turnbull, did win the VC:
http://www.third-lanark.co.uk/third-lan ... nbull.html

Maybe that partly explains the confusion.
HibeeJibee

Postby Scottish » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:22 pm

Good to see Hearts weren't forgotten with Jeremy Paxman (surely his first mention on this forum) visiting Tynecastle in the first part of his new series 'Britain's Great War.'

To mark the 50th anniversary of the start of the war, the BBC produced a series entitled 'The Great War,' which consisted of twenty-six forty minute episodes. Naturally, there were still many survivors alive in 1964 and their testimonies were used alongside film & still photos (many previously unseen), with scripts by well-known historians of the day and narrations and voices by some of the country's leading actors. Black-and-white, it's still fascinating half a century on. Episodes are available on YouTube though the Channel there which had them all has been closed down.

Having just seen the 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' episode (again) in which two 'survivors' are invited to a dinner and one of them is a survivor from the Holocaust and the other from a reality TV show, IMHO this series about the earlier global conflict deserves to be shown again in its entirety.

Even if it does mean shelving 'I'm a C-list bottom, watch me eat worms' for a while.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby stuthejag » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:51 pm

Hi Alan, Just noticed this thread. You could add the following Partick Thistle players to your list.

Sergeant William A Eadie (Service No, 19762, ),(Canadian Infantry (Alberta Regiment) last known club St Mirren), died 23-04-1915

Archibald Boyd, last known club Hearts, died 01-08-1916

Alexander Kay (Service no S/1989, Rifle Brigade), last known club Sheffield Utd, died 10-02-1917
Stu
[url][/url]http://partickthistleahistory.wetpaint.com/
stuthejag

Postby Alan Brown » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:48 pm

Hi,

I was looking at George Park's history of St Bernard's earlier and noted a paragraph regarding the losses among men connected with them, including this interesting claim regarding the first professional killed during the war.

George Park's book has been helpful in identifying the players that you mentioned, which were already on my list, I just hadn't updated my blog.
I agree with you regarding John Ferguson, I could find no evidence of a VC either. As you mentioned, Ferguson was not the first footballer to die in WW1, I have that one down as William Urquhart Sutherland, Born Falkirk, but who played all his career in England. You can read more about Sutherland here: http://www.wickford-war-memorial.com/Im ... _Army2.pdf. The James Y.Turnbull of Third Lanark was not a player, but must have been connected to the club in some capacity. I will have another look through John Litster's Thirds book, but will keep him off the list for the moment.

Good to see Hearts weren't forgotten with Jeremy Paxman (surely his first mention on this forum) visiting Tynecastle in the first part of his new series 'Britain's Great War.'

Yes the Edinburgh part of the Paxman's programme was an added bonus. Archibald Leitch would have been proud to hear Paxman call the new Tynecastle Grandstand "the finest in all of the world".

Hi Alan, Just noticed this thread. You could add the following Partick Thistle players to your list.

Sergeant William A Eadie (Service No, 19762, ),(Canadian Infantry (Alberta Regiment) last known club St Mirren), died 23-04-1915

Archibald Boyd, last known club Hearts, died 01-08-1916

Alexander Kay (Service no S/1989, Rifle Brigade), last known club Sheffield Utd, died 10-02-1917

Steve Emms' pre-war players records book has 2 William Eadie's. The first one A.William Eadie played for Queen's Park and Partick Thistle while he has another William Eadie as starting off with Johnstone, then St Mirren. There is every possibility that they are as one the same player as the latter made only one appearance for St Mirren in 1906/07.

Archibald Boyd. Steve Emms' book has James Boyd of Hearts as being Killed in Action at the Somme on 03/08/1916. This is backed up by Jack Alexander's "McCrae's Battalion" book, although there is every possibility that Archibald Boyd did die 2 days before the aforementioned James. No mention in Emms book of an Archibald Boyd, but John Litster's pre-war disc has the league appearances marked against Archibald, so this one is a mystery.

I have removed Walter Daniel Tull and John Bellringer from the list as neither of them made an appearance in Scottish Football's top 2 Divisions. Although Tull was a signed Rangers player he never did get the chance to come North. Bellringer was an Ayr United reserve player.

Guys I really appreciate your input into helping to add to the list which is now sitting at 133 players.

Alan
Alan Brown

Postby stuthejag » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:06 pm

I picked up the following snippet from the Partick & Maryhill Press

11th June 1915 " Sergeant W. Eadie of the Canadians who was K.I.A, was one time Queen's Park GK "
Stu
[url][/url]http://partickthistleahistory.wetpaint.com/
stuthejag

Postby Alan Brown » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:58 pm

ScottishFA wrote:A few suggestions for inclusion come from a supplement to The Field magazine in 1919 called 'The Roll Call of Sport in the War'. It lists every known sportsman who was killed in the conflict, sport by sport. Unfortunately under 'Football' it covers both codes, and 95 per cent of the players were rugby men, but there are a few footballers with Scottish connections.

Andy, would you happen to have access to the above mentioned supplement to The Field Magazine? If so would it be possible to scan the section that covers football?

Alan
Alan Brown

Postby cowdenbeather » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:07 pm

Signed from Hearts of Beath in 1905, Charlie Scott played for his local club Cowdenbeath for two seasons. Later, he played for East Fife. During the Great War, he served as a lance corporal in the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders and died on the Somme on 10 August 1916. He is buried in the Gordon Dump Cemetery, 2 miles from Albert. His name is on the monument that overlooks Cowdenbeath from the top of the hill.

Jimmy Hendren another ex-Cowden player who was with Hibs did die during the War but he wasn't serving in the forces at the time.
cowdenbeather

Postby Alan Brown » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:55 am

Thanks for the Cowdenbeath details. I already have full details for Jimmy Hendren, but would be interested in any further details you may have for Charlie Scott. Did he make any league appearances for Cowdenbeath? My criteria for a player to be included in the WW1 Roll of Honour is that they made at least one appearance in the Scottish League or in the English Football League/Southern League. I have another Charles Scott on my list, this one played with St Johnstone and Rangers, so I assume that it is a different player.

Alan
Alan Brown

Postby cowdenbeather » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:07 pm

John Litster's disk shows him making 17 SFL appearances for Cowdenbeath scoring one goal. 11 games 1 goal in 1905/06 and 6 more games in 1909/10. His full name was Charles Penman Scott and he lived at 29 Foulford Place, Cowdenbeath. His death was reported in the Dunfermline Journal of 19th August 1916. He is not the same man as the Rangers/St Johnstone player
cowdenbeather

Postby ScottishFA » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:21 pm

Alan Brown wrote:
ScottishFA wrote:A few suggestions for inclusion come from a supplement to The Field magazine in 1919 called 'The Roll Call of Sport in the War'. It lists every known sportsman who was killed in the conflict, sport by sport. Unfortunately under 'Football' it covers both codes, and 95 per cent of the players were rugby men, but there are a few footballers with Scottish connections.

Andy, would you happen to have access to the above mentioned supplement to The Field Magazine? If so would it be possible to scan the section that covers football?

Alan

Too big to scan, being A3, but I could try and photograph the pages. Send me a PM with your email.
ScottishFA

Postby Alan Brown » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:03 pm

Sorry I had overlooked the fact that his details would be on Litster's disc! Definitely add him to the list as I have cross checked it with the snwm.org and cwgc.org websites. Many thanks. snwm website has him born at Auchterderran, Fife.

Andy I have sent you a pm.

Alan
Alan Brown

Postby gogsy1968 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:06 pm

Edinburgh evening News 26th June 1915 has the following

Lance-Cpl Alexander Crichton of the 7th Black Watch (territorials)who has been killed in action, played for Raith Rovers
gogsy1968

PreviousNext

Return to SFAQS