Scottish Footballers Roll of Honour

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

Re: Scottish Footballers Roll of Honour

Postby HibeeJibee » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:51 pm

Not a league club at the time of course but according to BRFC 13 players associated with Berwick lost their lives during WWI:

http://www.berwickrangersfc.co.uk/news- ... 14-18.html

To the memory of Berwick Rangers players who gave their Lives
in The Great War 1914 – 1918

George Brodie KOSB
James Brotherton NF
Thomas H Crombie NF
Charles G Erswell NF
Thomas Gray SH
Leon S T Jones NF
Henry Laidler SH
Archbold W Lockhart NF
Charles N Noble NF
George Patterson NF
John Richardson NF
Walter Sinton RN
Moses Townsley KOSB
HibeeJibee

Postby kjell » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:34 am

Might have found another one.

From: Dumfries and Galloway Standard - Wednesday 07 August 1918, page 3.

SANQUHAR FOOTBALLER KILLED, death action Bombardier John Todd, R.F.A., Canadians, 14th. He was the well-known Nitbsdale Wanderers forward, and played for the Sanquhar club right to 1914, when war was declared. He saw service with Clyde and Airdrieonians, and was also prominent sprinter. Previous war ho resided in Sanquhar, and was lie Id in high esteem, being of a genial and unassuming nature. was about 23 years age. His parents are Winnipeg, Canada.

Kjell
kjell

Postby Alan Brown » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:18 pm

Kjell, Thanks for picking this one up. The details you gave match up on the cwgc.org website: http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casua ... HN%20ALLAN
Todd made league appearances for Clyde, Hamilton Academical and Airdrieonians so he will be added to my list. Shawfield Boy may also be interested in this new find ... So many thanks again.

Alan
Alan Brown

Postby juniorhistory » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:25 am

I dont post on here often, but thought i'd share this link i found as it may be of interest to some. It deals with the English side of things, and may have some crossover for Scottish Historians.

http://www.footballandthefirstworldwar.com/

In fact having delved into it further there are plenty of Scottish club references in this.
juniorhistory

Postby Alan Brown » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:42 am

This website popped up around three months ago and is a good resource. I know that Ian Nannestad was working on something similar but not sure if he is involved in this. The sources are well documented, including my book 'World War One and Scottish Football', of which incidentally I still have a few copies for sale. Details here: www.scottishfootballhistory.wordpress.com. Sorry for the plug :)

Alan
Alan Brown

Postby Scottish » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:21 pm

Duly bookmarked
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby ScottishFA » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:29 pm

Another one. Private Andrew Ramage of the Seaforth Highlanders killed in action on 6 September 1917.

Born 1879, Andrew Ramage came from Bridge of Allan and was a centre forward for Dunblane and St Bernard's. With Dunblane he won the Perthshire Cup and Dewar Shield in 1900, and the Perthshire Cup again in 1904. He had the 1904-05 season with St Bernard's in Division 2, then one more year with Dunblane.
ScottishFA

Postby kjell » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:32 pm

Hi,

I came across this note today:

Sergeant W.L. Miller
Sergeant W.L. Miller (William Miller), of the 9th King’s Own Scottish Borderers, resided at 101 Queen Street, Dumfries. Mrs. Miller, his wife, received the following communication from the officer in charge of the records at Hamilton on Monday:

“It is my painful duty t inform you that in the list of survivors from the transport Royal Edward lately lost in the Aegan Sea, which has to-day been received from the War Office, the name of No. 16337 Sergeant W.L. Miller, King’s Own Scottish Borderers, who is believed to have been on board, is not included. If any further information is received it will be immediately communicated to you.”

Prior to enlisting Sergeant Miller was engaged in business in Dumfries as a picture framer. He was a well-known footballer, and in his early life played for the old Dumfries Hibernians.

He afterwards played as a professional for St. Bernard’s and Grimsby, and on coming to reside in Dumfries again he frequently officiated as a referee at the local matches.

He also assisted the 5th King’s Own Scottish Borderers for a time.

For many years Sergeant Miller acted as secretary of the Young Men’s Society in connection with St. Andrew’s Roman Catholic Church, and took an active share in the dramatic productions of that body.
(Dumfries and Galloway Standard, 01-09-1915)

I have not found any more information on him, but maybe worth investigating for your list. My apologies if his name is already mentioned in the thread.

Kjell
kjell

Postby Alan Brown » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:12 am

Kjell,

Thanks for posting this. After checking him out on the cwgc.org website, I matched him up as the same person:
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casua ... McALLISTER

William Lee McAllister Millar played 22 times for St Bernard's, scoring 14 goals in 2 separate spells (1902/03 and 1905/06).
In between this he had a couple of seasons at Grimsby.

Alan
Alan Brown

Postby Alan Brown » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:17 am

Another one. Private Andrew Ramage of the Seaforth Highlanders killed in action on 6 September 1917.

Thanks for that Andy, another one for the list.

Alan
Alan Brown

Postby ScottishFA » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:02 pm

A couple more, although full confirmation would be welcome:

Stirling Observer, 30 Oct 1917:
FORMER STIRLING FOOTBALLER KILLED. SERGEANT-MAJOR JOHN STEWART
Followers of football in Stirling will be sorry to learn of the death in action in France of Sergeant-Major John Stewart, Dumbartonshire Territorials, who fell a few weeks ago. Stewart, who was a former Dumbarton player, played couple of seasons more for Kings Park F.C., and rendered yeoman service in the middle line. He was a strong bustling back, and because of the earnestness he threw into his game, and his modesty of demeanour, he was a universal favourite. Stewart, whose home was in Alexandria, was a keen Territorial, and was called up when war broke out. He had been twice wounded.

He was a Company Sergeant Major with the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, killed on 21 October 1917. Husband of Margaret Stewart of 189 Middleton St, Alexandria. There is only one John Stewart on Litster who played for Dumbarton, a centre half in 1912/13, but I haven't been able to confirm this is him.

The other name is a bit more obscure, Private John Bayne of the Black Watch, killed by a rifle grenade on 21 July 1915 age 38, leaving a wife and four children. According to obituaries he was a regular soldier with the Black Watch, winning the Military Championship in 1899, also playing for Dunblane and Reading in the late 1890s. He served with the regiment in South Africa and returned to football after the conflict. I am fairly sure he is the "Bayne/Bain of Black Watch" who played a trial for Hearts (Div 1 v Morton 27 Dec 1902) and twice for Raith Rovers in Feb 1903 (a Div 2 match v Falkirk which was abandoned, and a Fife Cup tie v Dunfermline), before appearing regularly for Dunblane over the next decade; he also played for St Johnstone in 1906. As a reservist, he signed up again with the Black Watch on the outbreak of war.
ScottishFA

Postby kjell » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:57 am

Hello,

From Arbroath Herald, 20 August, 1915:

It is feared that a local soldier, Private William Clark, of the 2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers, has lost his life. The other day Mr. Geo Clark, 31 Ann Street, his father, received a post card from Sergeant Dawson, Ayr, which had been forwarded to him from the front by Sergeant T. Cairns (who is a prisoner of war in Germany), containing the news that Private William Clark had been killed on 30th October.

Clark’s relations have all alonh had hopes that he was a prisoner of war. He was a well-known local footballer, and for a time kept goal for Arbroath senior team.

Kjell
kjell

Postby kjell » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:31 pm

Hello,

I see from annual reports in media during the war that roll of honours and players in his Majesty's service is quite often mentioned. Just a tips to also look at the agm reported in media during the war for further names.

Kjell
kjell

Postby soccerhistory » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:36 pm

I am persevering with my list of FL and Southern League players and hope to launch the Roll of Honour very shortly on my website http://www.soccer-history.co.uk which is currently in the process of being rebuilt.

I am looking for help with some queries:

John/James Fleming. Although this appears to be the same player, Tottenham sources offer a death for John Fleming of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders at Richmond, Yorkshire on 21 March 1916; Newcastle sources have him as a James Brown Montgomerie Fleming killed in action 18 August 1917 (if correct he appears to have shot dead a burglar in his younger days and got away with it). I haven't been able to find a newspaper notice on this.

I'm also looking to trace newspaper or other contemporary references for the deaths of Thomas Clifford (Ayr, Glossop, Luton, Celtic, etc) , Barney Crossan or Crosson (Celtic, Preston North End), Hugh Kerr (Ayr, Manchester United) and John Harkins (Middlesbrough, Leeds, Coventry).

Any help would be much appreciated.
soccerhistory

Postby ScottishFA » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:39 pm

Re John Fleming, he died on 21 March 1916. The Daily Record of 28 March has a paragraph on him, relating his death from pneumonia.

This date is also noted by Paul Joannou in his new Who's Who of Newcastle, who explains that he has been mixed up with a Major James Brown Montgomerie-Fleming, with the same initials, who died of wounds in 1917. Joannou has John BM Fleming born in Slamannan in c1890, and he is there in the 1891 and 1901 census, but with no clues as to what the middle initials stand for. When he signed for Rangers from Armadale in 1915 he was described as 'a native of the district' and Slamannan is not far from Armadale.
ScottishFA

PreviousNext

Return to SFAQS